Homemade conveyor and wood boiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice set up you have there.

you built that conveyor? nice pile of wood too.....when can i grab some? :)

(i use photobucket too, but it seems to take a long time to load, then they plaster ads all over it. i know it's free and all that stuff, but i might just look for another one.)

I like the truck mounted conveyor. I have to many trees around to use something like that but I really like your thinking.

Scott

SCott even if the truck idea wont work for you hopefully you can benefit from the conveyor itself for ideas.
And yes the boiler is pretty big 3400 gallons of water we load it all with skid loader as seen in pics

woodman6666,

How about taking some closer shots of your door system?
They look water cooled? With that amount of area warpage is or isn't an issue?

Did you roll your cylinder or was this a drop?

We have built 3 boilers now the one in the photo is our first and has been in operation for 9 yrs now, and yes you must have water filled doors and you must circulate water through both doors as well. Then you will have no warpage issues, we used old tanks for inner and outer. We spray foamed the outside of this one this year currently this one is heating a 6000 sq ft shop and we have filled it 11 times so far this winter.

Will that conveyor take a lot of wood at once? Would you do anything different if you built another one?

Scott

Yes the conveyor will take all the wood you can give it if it ever became a problem you could go with a little taller paddles, but it runs all day everyday right now I do run it fairly fast though, I would do nothing different at all if I did it again, the biggest thing I would recommend is making your flat area where the wood rides should be at least 1.5times wider than your longest piece of wood mine is 27 inches.

Sprayfoam

woodman6666,

With the very cold climates you operate in did you use sprayfoam to insulate your line-set from the furnace to your shop?

Door.... what material thickness? same on fireside as outside?

Tank, what's the wall thickness? did you use a firebrick for the bottom?

Thanks

Tom

No foam on the line set to the shop spent the $$$ on the premade stuff from central but did foam the outside of the boiler itself. door thickness same both sides and no firebrick not sure why you would use it with water completely surrounding the firebox. just my 2 cents worth

Is there a better way to post pics?

woodstuff004.jpg
Yes
woodstuff005.jpg

Flue?

woodman6666,

Does your flue exit directly through the top of your firebox or out the rear and then turn 90* and then upwards?

Are you heating with a radiant floor system or with overhead forced air heat exchangers?

The reason for all my questions is that I heat my 7,800 ft shop with LPG and your system has peaked a lot of interest for me.

Thanks for your post.

Tom

Ericjeeper so how do we do that? Im not the best with computers.

Holy moly that boiler is a monster!! Good idea on the conveyor too!:clap:

Select the img code on your photobucket pic and then right click copy and then right click paste in your post here

woodstuff007.jpg

Tom the flue goes out the back thru the water jacket and needs to be large and very heavy wall half inch min. cant remember the dimensions maybe 1ft by 1.5ft you should have a large baffle in front of it as well and the baffle needs to be completely full of water as well. I use in floor heat in both my shops but would work fine with forced air water to air exchanger as well you may want to turn your water temp up for that though, another thing you have to have a fan pushing air into the firebox when your burining the size material you can put in these larger units (my firebox is 8ft round and 10ft long)

Blazin thanks for the info i will tell the wife as we have some other homemade junk layin around maybe i will take the camera down to the shop again.

Tom the flue goes out the back thru the water jacket and needs to be large and very heavy wall half inch min. cant remember the dimensions maybe 1ft by 1.5ft you should have a large baffle in front of it as well and the baffle needs to be completely full of water as well.

woodman6666,

Sounds like you used a heavy wall rectangular tube for flue and round for your stack? Did you form the water filled baffle or was this tube also?

Thanks

Tom

Back