"Horizontal" Leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrx-snowdrift

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 20" diameter Oak that is leaning so much the top is nearly horizontal and it hangs right over a swing set. Barber chair is obviously a serious concern as well as crashing into the swing set. The swing set cannot be moved. Picture 4574 kind of shows that it has a slight lean to the left and the bulk of the tree is already towards the left side of the swing set so that would be the easiest direction to drop it. I would imagine a plunge cut/trigger method with a thick hinge on the tension side or Coos triangle cut might work but I've never cut a tree with this much lean, I've also never done a coos bay cut. The tree is healthy so I'm not very worried about rot. In picture 4570 you can see the very large oak tree to the left (which also needs to come down) I was trying to figure out a way to tie off of that one to "swing" the leaner down towards the large oak but you would need to tie off pretty high in the large oak and would require a lot of chain/cable/rope. I would use up one 3/8 chain to wrap around the trunk to help mitigate barber chairing.
I'll likely just walk away from this one as its just for firewood but I always like hearing how others would approach this.

Attachments

• IMG_4571.JPG
    IMG_4571.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4574.JPG
    IMG_4574.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4570.JPG
    IMG_4570.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 90
Pic 4574 looks like it's got a bit of a lean to the left?

If the swing set wasn't there I would likely just cut ordinarily to send it that way - i.e. sideways. Even with the swing set there I might still consider it, but of course more at risk.

4571 looks like you could get most of the problem limbs off with a pole saw. So maybe a two stage approach - that then felling it sideways? Might not be much left to hit the swing set with by the time you're done with the pole saw.

Perspective might be off though...

I think your onto something with the two stage approach. If nothing else get some weight off so it would go to the left of the swing set easier. It's a bit out of reach for my pole saw though. Maybe working off the back of a pick up I could get some of the lower stuff.

It will be very interesting to hear people’s opinions on this..seems impossible to drop in a controlled way with such a extreme lean.

I’m a hack with more guts than brains , I’d stick a latter up through that mess and tie it off then cut all that small stuff , working my way back.

Any smart way to this without a bucket truck?

In the old days we would get the ladder out go up hook the 100 foot 1/2" cable up in the tree hook the farm tractor on the cable pull and cut the tree down and it would clear the swing set no problem. 10 years ago I bought a used tow around gas powered bucket lift and that's how we would get it down today in a few stages.

What about a rental lift that you can tow behind a pickup truck. Then just take it from the top down..... err...side on down.

Looks like a tree you are cutting for someone else? If you explained to them the dangers of a barber chair, and the cost of a rental lift. They most likely will pay the additional cost.

Or just tell them it’s out of my league, equipment wise and have them get a quote from someone else. No shame is saying this job is too much for me and knowing your limitations.

I agree 100%.

I’m looking forward to somebody with a plan on how to cut this off the stump and not crush that swing set.

Buy these & read them both 2 times.

To Fell a Tree A Complete Guide to Tree Felling and Woodcutting Methods https://www.amazon.com/dp/0615338798/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_N5G6Bb6BQ555T

Professional Timber Falling (Book) by Douglas Dent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00455VB4A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_26G6BbEKRNNP0

Then

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=17322

Or

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=11138

+ this-
https://www.treestuff.com/store/products.asp?category_id=3

Secured to something heavy so you can ease it over in the direction you want.

Start a plunge cut in the back cut to set the hinge but stop like these books detail.

Then cut a wide open face like these books detail.

Tension the pull line & cut the remainder of the Back cut like these books detail.

No barber chair & you still can play on your swing set.

Successful Examples
89e0803580bc0665ee50698ed65526a6.jpg

718f6dfe42e067040a824a2e762d02f8.jpg

d29a7e81f09268abc4cabf9f2ca14e25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

What about a rental lift that you can tow behind a pickup truck. Then just take it from the top down..... err...side on down.

Looks like a tree you are cutting for someone else? If you explained to them the dangers of a barber chair, and the cost of a rental lift. They most likely will pay the additional cost.

Or just tell them it’s out of my league, equipment wise and have them get a quote from someone else. No shame is saying this job is too much for me and knowing your limitations.

“A Man’s got to know his limitations.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rent a bucket truck, limb it and then take it off top down in small pieces

Easy peasy

Obviously they have to pay for it all[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging by the pictures.... I'd risk it and try for dropping it left. Before I even touched a saw though I'd make sure the home owners were aware of the potential dangers of having a firewood guy dropping trees that should cost tree service prices.

I would never in a million years try and fall that the traditional way. Barber chair risk is way to high for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is at a state park where I have a permit to collect firewood so no money involved which is why I'm not renting a man lift to do it. The manager asked me about taking this tree down as she didn't feel comfortable doing it. I told her it's out of my league so she has a professional within the DNR coming in to look at it. Sounds like I could be there to help if he decides to drop which would be a great learning opportunity for me. The DNR always seems to play it pretty safe so he might just tell her to get a man lift as well.

General comment to consider for similar leaners: as stated by NSMaple1 fall sideways but also taper the hinge with the fat side on the outside of the arch to help insure against the hinge breaking with an uncontrolled fall with the lean. Also with this particular tree a tapered hinge may give additional swing away from the swing set. These types of trees are definitely not suitable for a beginner.

Ron

What the heck. Now my original post has disappeared. Anyway I was agreeing in general with NSMaple1 but added that one should also consider with a sideways fall using a tapered hinge with the fat side on the outside of the arch side. This would help prevent the hinge from breaking which could result in an uncontrolled fall with the lean. With this particular tree it could also induce some swing away from the swingset.

Ron

Back