How’d ya get started?-personal business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started part time for years alone working a full time job.

That meant 12-16 hour days 7 days per week.

Confidence and no toys. Tools were my toys and every job I got I did as best I could and referrals grew. You have to enjoy being your own boss and make good decisions. It takes everything you have and you have to get up and do it again tomorrow. You will never get away and 80 hours will be a light week.

After a few years of part time and word of mouth you can break off on your own most likely if you arent buried in dept and know how to save money.

About half of this you can skip if you have my Gf.

I will need something really good in trade for her. Nothing light.

Probably 2-4 other women (I want solid 8's at least nothing tall or svrawny) and a good grapple truck with a pup trailer.
And a vacation.

Thx

I had a similar background before starting my business 2 years ago. I worked for a large lawn and tree care company, spraying and diagnosing lawns and trees. Then I moved to a trees only company and learned how to climb. Same as many others, got tired of working for someone else. Even though I loved the work and was getting enough pay to provide for the family, I hated the company.

My plan was to launch in the spring, after the cold and lonely winter was over. I donated plasma and used all my side work money for the equipment. Spring came around and I used my tax returns for an old truck and small trailer. I didn't accrue any debt for this venture. My market is in suburban Utah...lots of ornamental and fruit trees. There is plenty of removals, but I don't get enough of those to legitimate a chipper and bigger truck yet.

The first month as my own employee was the weirdest. It was tough to get the workflow going, but when it did, life was amazing. I could work some easy jobs, then come home and hang with the family, all while paying the bills. The second year got crazy. I wasn't able to take much vacation because I had work lined up 6 weeks out. This year, my customers have been doing my marketing for me.

When it comes to advice, do the kind of work that will enlist your customers to your cause. Match your equipment to the kind of work you plan to do. Even in a small market of tree care, there are specific niches. Find your niche, and brand yourself inside that market. Last of all, just go for it. Good luck.

I had a similar background before starting my business 2 years ago. I worked for a large lawn and tree care company, spraying and diagnosing lawns and trees. Then I moved to a trees only company and learned how to climb. Same as many others, got tired of working for someone else. Even though I loved the work and was getting enough pay to provide for the family, I hated the company.

My plan was to launch in the spring, after the cold and lonely winter was over. I donated plasma and used all my side work money for the equipment. Spring came around and I used my tax returns for an old truck and small trailer. I didn't accrue any debt for this venture. My market is in suburban Utah...lots of ornamental and fruit trees. There is plenty of removals, but I don't get enough of those to legitimate a chipper and bigger truck yet.

The first month as my own employee was the weirdest. It was tough to get the workflow going, but when it did, life was amazing. I could work some easy jobs, then come home and hang with the family, all while paying the bills. The second year got crazy. I wasn't able to take much vacation because I had work lined up 6 weeks out. This year, my customers have been doing my marketing for me.

When it comes to advice, do the kind of work that will enlist your customers to your cause. Match your equipment to the kind of work you plan to do. Even in a small market of tree care, there are specific niches. Find your niche, and brand yourself inside that market. Last of all, just go for it. Good luck.

I just started up not too long ago, I’m having a hard time finding those relaxing pruning jobs or cushy removals. At this point I only have a tilt trailer, my truck, and obviously my climbing gear, rigging stuff, and saws.

It seems like I only get calls for huge technical removals, or if I see something that is dead as hell, or extremely hazardous I stop and offer my services. (I really do like the hairy stuff, I just don’t want every job to be so crazy) And I usually get the job because I can give a lower bid due to the fact that I do almost all of the work by myself. I’ll hire a competent rope man and send him home when I don’t need anything else roped out. I proceed to load EVERYTHING by hand into my trailer.

It works out alright because if I bid a removal of a big tree for ~$2k and only have to put $500 at the most into it (lift rental maybe, gas, help for a day, I dump for free) and it takes me up to 4days to truck everything out, that’s still a pretty good for me yknow? Also I’m pricing as low as I can so I can get exposure and stuff.

It sucks because I don’t have enough work to justify getting a chipper, a couple groundsmen, a loader, and a big truck. Also, I’m trying to accrue as little debt as possible.

I wish I could line up more jobs that don’t require tons of wood being hauled off. It’s really taking its toll on me to work so damn hard and I’m only 27.

Do you have any advice on how to get jobs doing pruning or lighter work until I can afford the equipment needed for the big jobs? I feel like it’s a lot more socially acceptable to stop and door knock if I see a sketchy giant than to stop and say, “hey would you like me to remove those water sprouts for better curb appeal?”

Also, I feel like it’s easier for me to close the deal on a big job than the little stuff; I’ve been trying.

And as far as niche goes I want to be the go to guy for huge technical removals because I love them and I feel like there’s less competition in my market within that niche; but at this point in time it is not practical for me to pretty much only be doing that.

If anyone has any advice to a noob starting from scratch it’d be greatly appreciated.

I just started up not too long ago, I’m having a hard time finding those relaxing pruning jobs or cushy removals. At this point I only have a tilt trailer, my truck, and obviously my climbing gear, rigging stuff, and saws.

It seems like I only get calls for huge technical removals, or if I see something that is dead as hell, or extremely hazardous I stop and offer my services. (I really do like the hairy stuff, I just don’t want every job to be so crazy) And I usually get the job because I can give a lower bid due to the fact that I do almost all of the work by myself. I’ll hire a competent rope man and send him home when I don’t need anything else roped out. I proceed to load EVERYTHING by hand into my trailer.

It works out alright because if I bid a removal of a big tree for ~$2k and only have to put $500 at the most into it (lift rental maybe, gas, help for a day, I dump for free) and it takes me up to 4days to truck everything out, that’s still a pretty good for me yknow? Also I’m pricing as low as I can so I can get exposure and stuff.

It sucks because I don’t have enough work to justify getting a chipper, a couple groundsmen, a loader, and a big truck. Also, I’m trying to accrue as little debt as possible.

I wish I could line up more jobs that don’t require tons of wood being hauled off. It’s really taking its toll on me to work so damn hard and I’m only 27.

Do you have any advice on how to get jobs doing pruning or lighter work until I can afford the equipment needed for the big jobs? I feel like it’s a lot more socially acceptable to stop and door knock if I see a sketchy giant than to stop and say, “hey would you like me to remove those water sprouts for better curb appeal?”

Also, I feel like it’s easier for me to close the deal on a big job than the little stuff; I’ve been trying.

And as far as niche goes I want to be the go to guy for huge technical removals because I love them and I feel like there’s less competition in my market within that niche; but at this point in time it is not practical for me to pretty much only be doing that.

If anyone has any advice to a noob starting from scratch it’d be greatly appreciated.
As the slinging arborist stated, my niche was hazardous removals.

We have too many people here that call themselves tree services that can't handle removals of big nasty trees over houses etc.

They chew up all the lightwork because they are a dime a dozen.

I recognized this straight away and focused on hazardous removals only.

It's hard but it pays so much better.

I have taken down some the biggest most hazardous trees in my area. I like the achievement as well.

Hell, a couple years ago I was taking down a giant maple over a fece, house, driveway, and power service, with one guy. A six man crew was working up the street trimming one half of a tree over a house.
They had three trucks, a trailer and a chipper.
They were on it two days and had started before me. We were done about the same time. All in all I removed about 4x the mass they did in a tighter drop window.

They worked like employees, I worked like I was trying to buy me and my guy christmas presents for our kids.

Mission accomplised.

I don't know easy.
You give me an easy job and I will do it as hard and fast as I can.

"If your job is easy, rest assured you suck at it." This is a motto of mine.

I would like someone to tell me how to turn it off. I can't take a day off, (which is never off, bidding and maitenance etc) without feeling like I need to be hurrying and kicking ash.
I am very serious. It causes me big issues at home. Keeps me on edge.

I always have the thought of failure weight on my shoulders on days off. When working I am 100% applied and wound for sound. No room for worries about things like that.

I tell myself to relax and even pretend to, to those around me. I can't though.

They will never understand how hard I fought to get where I am. There were so many times I drove home cramping in my legs and arms so bad I had to pull off the road and wait for it to pass. So many times people tipped me an extra $100-$200 after seeing the hell I went through to get it done.

There were a few trees out there that took damn near all I had and the only way I could finish was to say, "You're gonna have to kill me, because I wont quit."

I have beaten that mentality into myself until I can tirn it on like a switch. I just cant turn it off though. Sounds stupid but it makes me impatient at anything not related to work. Anger just under the surface.

I have tomorrow off and dont want it.

Be nice to your groundman! :yes:

And don't get into too much debt. All that shiny new stuff requires payments even during the slow months. Mind you, in Florida it doesn't snow. I've seen guys here get into trouble buying fancy new trucks and chippers in the spring but when work drops a ton when winter comes, the payments are still 100% of what they were in the summer when work was good.

As the slinging arborist stated, my niche was hazardous removals.

We have too many people here that call themselves tree services that can't handle removals of big nasty trees over houses etc.

They chew up all the lightwork because they are a dime a dozen.

I recognized this straight away and focused on hazardous removals only.

It's hard but it pays so much better.

I have taken down some the biggest most hazardous trees in my area. I like the achievement as well.

Hell, a couple years ago I was taking down a giant maple over a fece, house, driveway, and power service, with one guy. A six man crew was working up the street trimming one half of a tree over a house.
They had three trucks, a trailer and a chipper.
They were on it two days and had started before me. We were done about the same time. All in all I removed about 4x the mass they did in a tighter drop window.

They worked like employees, I worked like I was trying to buy me and my guy christmas presents for our kids.

Mission accomplised.

I don't know easy.
You give me an easy job and I will do it as hard and fast as I can.

"If your job is easy, rest assured you suck at it." This is a motto of mine.

I would like someone to tell me how to turn it off. I can't take a day off, (which is never off, bidding and maitenance etc) without feeling like I need to be hurrying and kicking ash.
I am very serious. It causes me big issues at home. Keeps me on edge.

I always have the thought of failure weight on my shoulders on days off. When working I am 100% applied and wound for sound. No room for worries about things like that.

I tell myself to relax and even pretend to, to those around me. I can't though.

They will never understand how hard I fought to get where I am. There were so many times I drove home cramping in my legs and arms so bad I had to pull off the road and wait for it to pass. So many times people tipped me an extra $100-$200 after seeing the hell I went through to get it done.

There were a few trees out there that took damn near all I had and the only way I could finish was to say, "You're gonna have to kill me, because I wont quit."

I have beaten that mentality into myself until I can tirn it on like a switch. I just cant turn it off though. Sounds stupid but it makes me impatient at anything not related to work. Anger just under the surface.

I have tomorrow off and dont want it.

Just pulled up to a job on a Sunday. That’s what I needed to hear! Let’s get it!

Be nice to your groundman! :yes:

And don't get into too much debt. All that shiny new stuff requires payments even during the slow months. Mind you, in Florida it doesn't snow. I've seen guys here get into trouble buying fancy new trucks and chippers in the spring but when work drops a ton when winter comes, the payments are still 100% of what they were in the summer when work was good.

I love my groundsmen and he knows it! Haha!
Yeah the debt scares me; but I’ve been blessed making enough money to pay my bills and put a little bit away in the slow season.

For any service type business, especially a new one, an absolute critical part is to have a good website with high SEO ranking. You want to be on the first page results on all the big SE’s. That takes either a lot of work on your part or pay a company to do your SEO. Also, google adds work very very well. I spend on average about $300 a month on google adds and it returns that investment easily. Also, make sure your customers leave you google reviews, even if you knock off $25 off their bill for doing so. Google ratings play a huge part on your business ranking in search results. Create a physical location for your business (even if it’s your home address) and verifiy it with google and with Apple and get it on the map. That helps tremendously with SEO.
these days, when someone wants anykind of service work done, most pull up their phone and search online for a professional in their area. You want your business to be in the top three spots. Google adds can make you number one of you’re willing to pay the monthly fee. It’s worth it.

For any service type business, especially a new one, an absolute critical part is to have a good website with high SEO ranking. You want to be on the first page results on all the big SE’s. That takes either a lot of work on your part or pay a company to do your SEO. Also, google adds work very very well. I spend on average about $300 a month on google adds and it returns that investment easily. Also, make sure your customers leave you google reviews, even if you knock off $25 off their bill for doing so. Google ratings play a huge part on your business ranking in search results. Create a physical location for your business (even if it’s your home address) and verifiy it with google and with Apple and get it on the map. That helps tremendously with SEO.
these days, when someone wants anykind of service work done, most pull up their phone and search online for a professional in their area. You want your business to be in the top three spots. Google adds can make you number one of you’re willing to pay the monthly fee. It’s worth it.
Odd as hell...
I literally read this and got a notice from google that someone had left a review. I also do the $25 offer.

Latest posts

Back