How not to fell a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the tree just fell over if there was a guy still in it. I've told homeowners, "You should have called me two years ago to get that tree down, it's too rotten now and it's not safe." Apparently, they didn't realize how unstable the thing was. What a nightmare. Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Looks like that tree was balanced on the rotten trunk and when the large limb was dropped it became unbalanced and broke off ............. fearofpavement hit the nail on the head ............ too rotten and too dangerous, should have been taken down years ago.

A few years back I had a good one ........... I was in the habit of cutting a line through the bark all around the trunk to give me a good cut line. As soon as I completed my line (no more than 1-2 inches deep) the tree pinched my saw and fell the way it was leaning. I didn't even make a face cut yet. When the saw pinched, I moved away and watched it fall .................. 20" DBH and rotten core. Couldn't tell otherwise, no vertical splits, no holes at the base, full of green leaves ........... an eye opening experience. I don't cut lines around trunks anymore either !

While cutting a 3 trunk ash a couple of years ago, I had just finished the back cut on one trunk, and it was starting to fall when another I had not touched just broke off and fell over. Surprised the heck out of me, as it was dead but did not look bad. It was only about 12", but enough to kill me, especially as I never guessed it was going to fall, and it went in a different direction than I planned on dropping it (it must not have heard my plans). Now I'm much more careful about dead stuff.

The video seems to reveal a branch being removed or part of the tree, in the process the whole trunk falls over...WOW.
Was there a climber on the tree at the time, I can't tell.

The tragedy is no laughing matter. Hiring people who are unskilled and/or unlicensed and uninsured can definitely bite you.
We just had 5 huge pines removed here by a reputable tree service. They trimmed all up (using climbers) then dropped the
trunk portion. They were a reasonable distance from the home when they were dropped. The trees were 40+ years old and
all but one was very healthy. When the trunks landed they shook the house here. Can't imagine what this tree would have
done if it had been in tact.

One thing I find a bit humorous. The reporter "Francesca" is concerned enough about the weather to wear a rain coat
with a hood, but does the story spot with a mini dress? The ultimate fashion statement? or just pure lack of common sense?
:eek:

One thing I find a bit humorous. The reporter "Francesca" is concerned enough about the weather to wear a rain coat
with a hood, but does the story spot with a mini dress? The ultimate fashion statement? or just pure lack of common sense?
:eek:

She's brand new, just saw her the first time this past weekend. She's the very definition of a pretty face and not much more. She babbles and rambles and can't put two coherent sentences back to back. WJXT is a station we watch daily, but when I see her reporting I find another local channel to get the story.

That's crazy. If you look real close, you see a climber in the tree when the limb falls off to the left (he cut it). Not exactly sure where he landed, but he was there when it broke off!

Knowing Wes, licensed yes, trained, and certified. He does have a few years experience falling trees. Not yet certified in super powers though. Likely not insured under that specialty as well. But we don't know that Superman was either.

Am I imagining when the limb fell that I saw a guy riding the tree to land on the house?
Perhaps someone with more video experience can analyze.

Back