How to vac test, pressure test, and seal replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should be noted these apply to magnesium crank case saws (though the videos are very helpful ;)).

Clam shell saws are another world when it comes to seals. Most often I find the most fail-safe way to replace the seals so that there are no leaks is to split the engine and reseal. Although Stihl does make seals that can be inserted with the engine installed --I have had no good results from that method.

Any tricks to getting the small side seal out without having the tool?

only way is to take a punch and punch one side down fast enough the pop the other side up. then pick it out the rest of the way. takes alot of practice but it can be learned. i don't have the tool and have replaced alot of seals this way without damaging the case or crank. much easier with the tool though!

Stihl part number 5910 890 4400 and expensive around 200ish bucks on line. Maybe less from site sponsors but I don't know which one.

Jeremy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stihl-T...0-4400-MS360-MS290-MS440-MS460-/321678886817?

part number is 5910-890-4400

the puller comes with 4 sets of jaws, it does not still come with the special jaws for the MS200t, the special jaws are sold individually even though you need a pair to use them and they are somewhat fragile, if you crank up the outward tension they will come apart, but nothing beats them for doing the job fast and easy

I sell them in pairs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-Chain...-3700-For-MS200t-and-most-saws-/221700036723?

my prices should be higher than a good local dealer, but many will not sell specialty tools and none are allowed to ship outside their own zip code
sorry to be a crass commercial goon on Brads excellent post :)
Dave

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stihl-T...0-4400-MS360-MS290-MS440-MS460-/321678886817?

part number is 5910-890-4400

the puller comes with 4 sets of jaws, it does not still come with the special jaws for the MS200t, the special jaws are sold individually even though you need a pair to use them and they are somewhat fragile, if you crank up the outward tension they will come apart, but nothing beats them for doing the job fast and easy

I sell them in pairs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-Chain...-3700-For-MS200t-and-most-saws-/221700036723?

my prices should be higher than a good local dealer, but many will not sell specialty tools and none are allowed to ship outside their own zip code
sorry to be a crass commercial goon on Brads excellent post :)
Dave
Thanks for posting Dave! No problem at all. I had never seen or even heard of those adapters for the 200T. Maybe that's why my buddy that I just loaned my puller to couldn't get the seals out of his saw!

only way is to take a punch and punch one side down fast enough the pop the other side up. then pick it out the rest of the way. takes alot of practice but it can be learned. i don't have the tool and have replaced alot of seals this way without damaging the case or crank. much easier with the tool though!
I normally try carefully with a screwdriver with angled tip first, if it doesnt work I do like you. Last one I did was flywheel side 242, trust me, they are small. One slap in one side, screwdriver and of it went.

I worked fixing crashed cars when I was young, if I should exchsnge lots of seals I would made my own tool for it.......

Thanks for posting Dave! No problem at all. I had never seen or even heard of those adapters for the 200T. Maybe that's why my buddy that I just loaned my puller to couldn't get the seals out of his saw!
The MS200t jaws have a small barbed wire that presses past the seal and then is rotated 90 degrees to hook under the lip of the seal, it is slick but because the other jaws work by applying outward pressure to grab the seal, it is easy to torque the plastic jaw to what seems like a reasonable level only to have it pop apart and it never goes back together exactly right as the plastic is soft and the metal is unyielding. They can also be used on other small saws where the standard jaw profiles don't work as well.

Stihl still has available by special order a few of the old jaws that are no longer listed in the tools manuals, last time I checked. I think they are for older saws though I am not sure which ones.
Dave

I wonder how many saws and 2T engine's out there are running with 'unknown' air leaks. I think it would be an interesting statistic. While I have a mityvac 8500, there are many 'backyard' ways to pressure test, compressor, bike pump etc. I have been making up a few fittings from hollowed out spark plugs and they can be a real PITA to get that porcelin out of. My tip of the day is when considering throwing out that cheap and nasty $10 compression tester that give consistantly dodgy readings strip it down take off the hose and bang wang you have a ripper spark plug pressure adapter hose with soft rubber oring. You may also have the screw on adapters that come with the kit so one device can do multiple size spark plug
holes.

Latest posts

Back