Ideas for Tavern Grade Flooring for Cabin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built these sliding barn doors for a friends timber framed home. I have several hundred of these 30-50 year old Oak fence boards. Plan on using them for the floor in my hunting cabin. I'm going to run them through the planer a few more times to get the honey color.View attachment 791097
That’s a killer stash!
When I get fence boards, they are always silvered out old western cedar 4/4.
I’ve made some nice frames for mirrors and pictures but.... they can not really be used for anything remotely structural.

That’s a killer stash!
When I get fence boards, they are always silvered out old western cedar 4/4.
I’ve made some nice frames for mirrors and pictures but.... they can not really be used for anything remotely structural.
With a strong subfloor, 4/4 would be fine.

Don’t forget the bag of red man to spit all over the place also

Well, there is also the occasional bar oil spill, and piss puddles here and there. And throw on some dog bomb stains and cigarette burns. And you need spur marks in the floor to make it truly authentic. Though that may be more of a BC thing. I do not know about the Ykon. At 100 Mile House in BC that was pretty common. And if you are gonna sell the place, salt the floor with a little gold dust.

That’s a sweet suggestion, I’m sure Ken Keesey would approve. There’s a lot of big lodgepole as well as tamarack here , but found only in secluded pockets. My head is swimming with all these great ideas.
I saw a tavern floor that was just 2x4’s on edge and the peanut shells to boot.

Tamarack... we call them larch here. Same graded wood (lumber grade wise) as Doug Fir. Best strength wood for framing in the PNW. Larch and Doug are harder than pine by about 50%. Here they were both used for some flooring back in the days, but they were mainly used as framing timber. Secondary woods like pine were used for floors and siding. When I was a kid a lot of the houses here were built in the days when no nails were used to frame them. They were built mortise and tenon.

Then you can go the cheap route like I did. I got this laminate maple flooring for my master bedroom for free off of Craigslist here. A couple had installed this maple floor in their family room, and two years later decided to pull it out and tile the floor. It was a float floor, so no nails. I salvaged it and laid it here as a float floor on thin foam padding. When I bought this house it was an abandoned foreclosed crack house. The master bedroom floor was all cigarette burned carpet and the floor had a 3 foot hole in it. I put down new subflooring in the bad section and laid this floor over it. The camouflaged cat doubles as the building inspector and union rep. This floor has held up extremely well after 7 years of use.

MBR floor w milo.JPG

i'll be curious to see what you end up using!
as Windthrown suggested, try Tamarack.
I got some from a small mill in NB. 2, 3 and 4" widths. mixed it all up, fewer 4" and yes it does move a fair bit with the seasons! not as dent resistant as a hard wood but it has a unique grain that keeps people guessing. the arm table is also made of the tamarack flooring.

Attachments

• 3BFA7382-D219-4223-9074-EBF9AC3030B7.jpeg
    3BFA7382-D219-4223-9074-EBF9AC3030B7.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 18
That’s a great idea! To have something few people have and a good story behind it.
It’s not so much saving money and time it’s about having a good conversation piece.
I was thinking about scrounging old skids and pallets as you can kind a good assortment of domestic and imported hardwood from cherry to Purple Heart.
Speaking of pallets, We have lots from work that are all Maple and Red Oak.
Very nice hardwood indeed.
So I grabbed 10 of the nicest ones I could find to disassemble and run through my planer to use for different projects.
And the price was right (free).

Speaking of pallets, We have lots from work that are all Maple and Red Oak.
Very nice hardwood indeed.
So I grabbed 10 of the nicest ones I could find to disassemble and run through my planer to use for different projects.
And the price was right (free).
Great score! Yes, the price is right.
I ordered some roofing tin a couple years ago and the pallet was made of thick cherry boards 14’ long however I used it as a landing to the entrance of a cabin. A railway yard also has large pallets that are made of jungle wood I’ve found.

Back