Is it time for an Echo stickie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE COIL CHECKS OUT SO I ASSUME ITS THE CDI.IF I HAD A PROCEDURE FOR CHECKING THE CDI MAY BE I COULD ELEMINATE THAT PART OF THE CIRCUIT.I HAVE ALSO READ ON THE SITE THAT CDI FAILURE IS A KNOWN PROBLEM
Ive done alot of reading and always wondered thanks
Maybe start a thread and someone will see it thats done the cdi work before

There have been quite a few threads on the CDI’s. I have a beautiful 750 with no spark. That was the major reason I asked for this Echo Stickie. I know a Still dealer that had a couple of the bigger old Echos, 550-750’s, with dead modules. He said when he told the owners he couldn’t get the parts to fix them, they never came back. He told me to stop in the next time I went buy, and if he hadn’t seen them, I could have them. Heck of a nice guy. He sold me a Homelite Super 1050, an XL 925, a 450, and a Blue EZ for 70 bucks.

the 452 is a very well constructed saw, heavy, but nice AV and oiled a crazy amount. I like the older echos, but I don't like that their oil and gas lines melt. Both I've had to do lines on because they melted.

the 1001 is a big boxy saw. And its pretty heavy. But at 100cc's it makes a ton of torque and has unreal compression. Mine runs beautifully, I've only run it once with a 32" bar and 3/8" skip chain in maple and buried it still kept pulling away. The lack of oil ended those cuts though, hence the tear down.

I'd say it could pull a 36" easy. Probably a 42" as well in skip. One day i'll try it out again.
I'm pretty sure my 1001 would have no issue with a 50" bar and probably would pull a 60" in our Doug Fir no problem. 6 cube saw that weighs like a 7 cube and has the torque to match. Also a very smooth but solid feeling saw. The 36" that is on mine is way to short for the saws capability. mine is quite a bit stronger than the Mac 790 & 795 I had and is more like a standard 797. I'd like to have it go against a Homie 1050 though. Now if anyone has an extra dog for a 1001, I could sure use it as I'd like duels on mine.

Based on the above advice I fit a 36" .404 chisel, full comp, b&c combo on my 1001 for when I go cutting for firewood this weekend. Oil pump puts out lots of oil now that its fixed. Im excited to see how it pulls. I know the 795 I last ran with this b&c wasn't the happiest, so I am hoping this thing is better. The balance is actually quite good with this b&c.

20200507_172924.jpg

(starter cover got re-sprayed as the original paint was burnt quite badly.)

20200507_172952.jpg

Based on the above advice I fit a 36" .404 chisel, full comp, b&c combo on my 1001 for when I go cutting for firewood this weekend. Oil pump puts out lots of oil now that its fixed. Im excited to see how it pulls. I know the 795 I last ran with this b&c wasn't the happiest, so I am hoping this thing is better. The balance is actually quite good with this b&c.

View attachment 826120

View attachment 826121
Nice looking outfit. That Echo will kick a 795's azz, especially when the really long bars come out. I haven't found the 6 cube direct drive Macs to be all that impressive, though Mark seemed to think a 105 might change my point of view.

View attachment 826120

View attachment 826121

Looks good. The 1001 I picked up out of Falkland came with that bar set-up. I haven't any run time on it, though. Overkill for around here. Curious if you have changed the crank seals in the 1001? I have never been able to find those bigger seals OEM or AM anywhere.

Nice looking outfit. That Echo will kick a 795's azz, especially when the really long bars come out. I haven't found the 6 cube direct drive Macs to be all that impressive, though Mark seemed to think a 105 might change my point of view.
I'm hoping it does, I will let you all know though!

My 790, and 795 I think would benefit from skip and 3/8 pitch chain instead of the full comp .404. I have a nice 42" cannon roller nose that I want to set up with skip 404 to put on the macs.

Looks good. The 1001 I picked up out of Falkland came with that bar set-up. I haven't any run time on it, though. Overkill for around here. Curious if you have changed the crank seals in the 1001? I have never been able to find those bigger seals OEM or AM anywhere.

This one came to me with a 28" Windsor bar and .404. the bar and chain were pretty trashed and I haven't got around to cleaning them up.

Yeah, there probably aren't many big trees up in the Okanagan any more. I did change the crank seals when I had it apart. I got them from a place in Florida, Boca Bearing, the shipping was cheaper than anywhere else I could find (USPS) and the seals weren't bad cost wise either I think around $10USD. seal size is 17x47x7mm. Motion Canada didn't seem to want to help me so I went online. I got dichtomatik branded seals, double lip, viton. The seals I took out of the saw were in fantastic shape, so I saved them. The new seals were rubber cased, the old ones were metal.

The quality of the parts on the echos is amazing when compared to everyone else of the same time period.

So what do you folks think of the Echo 452VL? I’ve been looking at the old Echos for a while, but never picked one up because I read about some having ignition issues. I would assume that the 452VL would be points? And 452EVL would be electronic? I found one in good running condition but dude wants too much $ and another that is pretty clean but doesn’t run. Should I take a chance on it?

So what do you folks think of the Echo 452VL? I’ve been looking at the old Echos for a while, but never picked one up because I read about some having ignition issues. I would assume that the 452VL would be points? And 452EVL would be electronic? I found one in good running condition but dude wants too much $ and another that is pretty clean but doesn’t run. Should I take a chance on it?
Just my opinion I'd go for it
My question is why it doesn't run

Some I bought ran off of a squirt of fluid or some mix in the plug hole so I knew they had spark

452VL is a capable cutter. If you like the way 1970's Echos run and how they perform in the cut, that is a good one. Lots of torque, steady pace, dle/throttle that is sublime and relatively smooth for the era. The build quality on the old Echos was the benchmark during the time. Even today, if you open up a 45 year old Echo the attention to detail and robustness is evident when comparing to new machines. What they lacked for in RPM, they made up for in longevity. The VL's were built to last forever.

My first hunch is it simply doesn't run because the fuel lines have perished. The black rubber pickup lines in both the oil and fuel tanks did not fare well for the long haul. I haven't been into one that doesn't need lines. If it has spark and the piston is healthy, they are pretty much certain to run.

One of mine a while ago. Not the prettiest, but it never complains.

I

452VL is a capable cutter. If you like the way 1970's Echos run and how they perform in the cut, that is a good one. Lots of torque, steady pace, dle/throttle that is sublime and relatively smooth for the era. The build quality on the old Echos was the benchmark during the time. Even today, if you open up a 45 year old Echo the attention to detail and robustness is evident when comparing to new machines. What they lacked for in RPM, they made up for in longevity. The VL's were built to last forever.

My first hunch is it simply doesn't run because the fuel lines have perished. The black rubber pickup lines in both the oil and fuel tanks did not fare well for the long haul. I haven't been into one that doesn't need lines. If it has spark and the piston is healthy, they are pretty much certain to run.

One of mine a while ago. Not the prettiest, but it never complains.

I’ve never handled one, but from the looks of it they are solid built, Just as I would expect for a Japanese piece of equipment. I’m a sucker for the all metal saws from that era. I’ve done Macs, Stihl, and a Poulan, so I think It’s time to dive into an Echo.

I’ve never handled one, but from the looks of it they are solid built, Just as I would expect for a Japanese piece of equipment. I’m a sucker for the all metal saws from that era. I’ve done Macs, Stihl, and a Poulan, so I think It’s time to dive into an Echo.
I have a few 330 evls they were made until 89 I think
Imo have a great sound
Simple muffler adjustable carbs and are reliable Japanese 2 stroke

A couple of years ago I was in my neighbor’s shop and saw a chainsaw sitting on the floor covered in dirt and sawdust. I asked him about it and he said to take it if I wanted it. He then scrounged up a couple of bars for it and about 5 chains including three still in the package.

I got home and cleaned it up enough to drizzle a bit of fuel into the cylinder and fired right up. A bit more cleaning and I checked for fuel and it was empty. I dumped in some fuel and took several tugs but it fired up and settled into a nice idle. I let it run for a bit and it revved nicely and was putting out an appropriate amount of oil. The next day I disassembled it a bit and gave it a thorough cleaning. I picked out a bar and chain combo and did a final tune in some wood and it has been flawless ever since.

I have quite a few older Echos and they are by far my favorite saws to use and to refurbish. I’ll pick up any saw that I find interesting but I am primarily always on the hunt for older Echos. They are a pleasure to work on and the materials they use are second to none. Even the decals on them seem to hold up over time.

Here’s the 330EVL my neighbor gave me. I added the scabbard. All of my Echos get an Echo scabbard. My other saws get cheap Chinese scabbards. Even my Sachs Dolmars. lol
251FE748-D5D1-4DD2-8CA8-AC65895702A1.jpeg

Since we now have an Echo sticky I’ll make a few more photo contributions.

Here’s my latest Echo project. I gave $20 for it at a flea market. It sat in my shop for a while but I finally got around to taking a look at. I had the scabbard but I had to order a carb kit and four orings for the oiler adjustment shaft which were easy to source. Everything else is original including the fuel lines and grommets. I assume the banana bar to be original. Runs like a top and has pretty good grunt. I’m gonna keep it on my motorhome.
DA04DE0F-F3AA-4A26-A892-8161156FDFEC.jpegF485E412-303D-46AB-A78B-CE7709315DF9.jpeg00C5F601-E54A-4B17-8AC1-21390AF1C6E1.jpeg

My first Echo was a CS 450 that I bought new about 13 years ago. I still use it routinely. This CS 3450 was the first saw that I picked up as a project. I was buying a generator from a neighbor and noticed the power head sitting in a bucket. It was missing the air filter cover. I was already planning to buy the generator but I agreed to his price if he would throw in the Echo. He handed me the bucket. He also scrounged around and found the bar and two chains.

I ordered a carb kit and a scabbard and also found a guy selling a “parts lot” that had the air cleaner cover and a bunch of other things that I have used on other saws. I think I paid $12 shipped.

A good cleaning and a bit of tuning and it has been my go to saw when I just need to clean up some dead fall or take down some small trees. I also loan it out to friends because it is so easy to use and anybody could start it.
It’s definitely one of my favorite saws.
55A0B8DB-D01C-456F-96FB-B959F6C2214B.jpeg

Back