It's go time.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This makes 2 loads for the day. About a full cord total.

ff57354f489e12ca47a169023f9eac04.jpg

Plus a tote of shorts for the shorts bin. I might have to build another bin.

Sent from a field

Slowly but surely. It's been darn humid the past week again and I can't stand working in the humidity.

Don't ya hate it when ya cut yourself and don't know how or when it happened?

2285509d3af5ad219af226a5c0008d64.jpg

Found a piece of shagbark that gave the super split a work out. Each pic is after a hit. There was a branch on the other side of this as well. Decent grain going everywhere but straight.

0c0ad52282bf7dc55cc4f69a2333201b.jpg
e2b7765140ab01e705e6345f6a7441e9.jpg
9670282a794a9838493e0833ead2ca9f.jpg
cd19dbab698b115a581fb0bdc12bdec9.jpg
b409aa62822d32f2e400b2809982a7ef.jpg
88db248875b13a093ae90d01a51cb1a1.jpg

Got a decent trailer load cut and split this morning. Leaving in a bit to pick up the boy from band camp and watch what they've been working on all week. Then maybe another trailer load this afternoon.

Sent from a field
I come home with cuts and bruises all the time and when the wife asks how I got each one I rarely even know myself.

Brought in five loads of American elm this week, all green but when dry, it makes great firewood for both campfires and fireplaces. I never get any complaints selling elm. You have to be patient with American elm and wait until it checks up. Then it will split. Try to split it green and it's usually "Katie Bar the Door." I have had success splitting green Siberian elm.

Slope was OK. But the splits wanted to turn sideways moving up and eventually there was enough weight on it that the splitter wanted to move it rather than the wood.

I tried angling the side pieces to help funnel the splits into a single/double file configuration, but then they just jammed up at the end.

If I attached it to the splitter, it would likely solve the problem. But then I wouldn't have the mobility I need.

Most yellow jackets dig their nest in the ground and attack buried wood, rotting away. Thousands of them occupy one nest. They usually have a 1" diameter hole that they use to enter and exit their abode.

To kill them all, wait until dusk and pour a gallon of waste oil or creosote into the hole and cover it with a flat stone that weighs about ten to twenty pounds. Leave it there four three to four days. The flying soldiers of the colony will try to get back in, but they will eventually give up.

You will win and they will lose.
Hope you don't have a well around the house!

Hope you don't have a well around the house!
I like the soap and water method. It seems to work pretty well without additional issues. That's why I posted it. Hopefully more and more people will try it.

Casey: Thanks for the bearings you sent me some time ago for the Super Split. It had been doing fine with the original one so I had not changed it. The SS got rained on a couple nights last week that I didn't bring it in, so good time for cleaning/maintenance, grease/oil, and to change the bearing. I found some thin teflon strips, the kind with sticky and paper backer, that I made some thin shims out of. Should work even better with sealed bearings now. Still need to add UHMWPE to the outfeed table, and the new hour meter. So far the only wear piece I have found is the L bracket the engagement rod goes through under the fiberglass cover. Because I alternate splitting on both sides the wear is pretty even now, where in the past it was not. I did crack the fiberglass cover last fall below the handle with a piece that summersaulted off the wedge. A decal covers most of that. And another small scratch on the cover from a log that rolled off the log deck and skimmed it when loading logs on the deck with the fork lift. I always move the chainsaw and peavey clear, but not the splitter itself.
Change oil in the GX 160 on the conveyor, add a new hour meter and good to go. Hour meters came yesterday...

Started the holz hausen tonight.

f7cdafa6d8506d474068210f82b236c8.jpg

Sent from a field
This works until it's time to remove the logs from ten feet up at the top of the dome and fill a truckload for a customer. I tried it about three years ago. Also, the snakes, rats, and about everything else love to get inside. So, I gave up on it. I even tried spiraling around from a solid center. That failed also.

Wife talked me out of it anyway. We re stacked the wood yesterday.
Well, the way your stack was going up, after it got to about 5' high, you could have held a boxing match inside and made millions. Wait a minute; nobody sitting down could have seen the fighters.

Anyway, what I also ran into was the neighbor's kids building forts inside the stack and throwing logs out from the center.

Go time has turned into 'hell no' time. Been breaking heat records and when thats not happening, its still just been to darn hot to think about working outside.

@jrider we have been bowing at the feet of our pool installer, though. Water temps hit 82 yesterday..... Wife gave me the OK to run some black hdpe pipe up on the shed roof to keep the pool open longer.....

Slope was OK. But the splits wanted to turn sideways moving up and eventually there was enough weight on it that the splitter wanted to move it rather than the wood.

I tried angling the side pieces to help funnel the splits into a single/double file configuration, but then they just jammed up at the end.

If I attached it to the splitter, it would likely solve the problem. But then I wouldn't have the mobility I need.

A ratchet straps around the legs of both the ramp and the SS would be a quick fix. I like your idea and I have an SS and some similar material in the shop. Hmmmm.

A ratchet straps around the legs of both the ramp and the SS would be a quick fix. I like your idea and I have an SS and some similar material in the shop. Hmmmm.

I think a flatter incline would work better. The splits keep wanting to turn sideways.... Or some way to keep them lined up so they don't pile up on the ramp. To many variables involved in order to KISS.

Back