jonsered 910e

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

american dream

wife asked "why do you need another damn saw????"
Reaction score
new to the milling end of things. there is a gentleman near me with one for sale asking $450 1. is it worth it
2. can it handle a 30" bar
i appreciate any other info anyone can give me. thank you guys again.

I think that seems like a lot for that saw, but prices do vary depending where you are.
I would think you can get a more modern saw like a 2094/2095 or a 394/395 for that amount of money.
It partly depends on how long you can wait to find a good deal and how much energy you have towards looking for that good deal.

I have never run that saw. I have a 2095 and don't have experience with any other saws for milling.
From what I have read and if the info here
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...52b578611d5eae5688256d0a000588fa?OpenDocument

is accurate, if the saw is in good condition it should run a 30" bar based on what I have read during research on saws and milling.
Again that opinion is not based on my own expereince with that saw.

Good luck :)

i live in northern new jersey. seems like from what ive looked at prices are pretty high in my state for everything. my only concern with the newer saws is all the emission controls. i have ran older saws and they seem to have more "raw" power. even though the parts are getting hard to find for possible repairs. these new saws just dont please me.

i also found an 066 mag for $700 and wasnt sure if that might be better way to go. its newer than the 910 but still pre emissions. your input is very much appreciated. any other info you can send my way about the milling end would be great. thank you again!!

This thread has lots of info on chainsaw milling.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/cs-milling-101-hints-tips-and-tricks.93458/

The 066 would be easy to get parts for, the 910 might be difficult.

If your budget is $700 then you could post in milling but probably better in the trading post, chainsaw section, and say you are looking for a milling saw and put your budget at $400 or $550 or $600 or what ever, proably a little lower than your budget and see what people offer up. Generally people will offer around your price range, a few will through stuff over in case your are interested but also cause they want to sell it and they know other people looking for a milling saw will look at the thread.

Any one who offers you something, you can look at their history on this site and ask around about them.
Generally the guys selling saws on here have good saw knowledge.
Prices here tend to be fair, usually no screaming deals but you get something resonable saw wise.
I have seen a few guys find milling saws that way.

For less than $700 you should be able to get a really good used saw.

thank you for that info. quick question, i found a jonsered 670. im not looking to set the world on fire as far as milling more for the enjoyment of being outside and do something i enjoy. would that 670 fair pretty well as a milling saw? im not cutting huge logs mayb max 24" in diameter. im gonna use the lumber for my personal building projects.

thank you for that info. quick question, i found a jonsered 670. im not looking to set the world on fire as far as milling more for the enjoyment of being outside and do something i enjoy. would that 670 fair pretty well as a milling saw? im not cutting huge logs mayb max 24" in diameter. im gonna use the lumber for my personal building projects.

From what I understand you can mill with anything if you allow the saw to go at it's own pace, just applying gentle pressure and taking time. Some guys are milling big logs all the time, so time is a factor for them and they want a big saw to power through it.

If you want to mill with that saw then you might consider a narrow kerf milling bar and chain.

http://leftcoastsupplies.com/produc...pplies-bars-tips-gb-narrow-kerf-milling-bars/

I haven't used one but the guys selling them said good things about them when I called to get more info. Theoretically it takes a smaller/narrower bite of wood, it needs less power for the same length of cut.

Biggest factor is having a sharp chain and bar, mill etc being lined up.

When I got my saw it came with a 20" bar and a cross cut chain modified for ripping. I cut my first boards with that set up and it didn't work so well, slow, took a lot of push/force to cut, saw bogged at times.
I put a new 36" bar with a new Laser ripping chain on it and it cut so much easier and better. It was in 16" elm log and was 300% better and easier than the 10 inch one that I had milled.

I looked at the 20" bar later and the rail had actually turned a lip on it, so that would have been part of it. I assumed that the chain was sharp when I ran because the guy who sold it to me said it was and I hadn't learned to sharpen yet.

If you do get the 670 you will have something working and you can then get started and it may be all you want or it will give you a sense of what you would like.

that was alot of much needed info. thank you very much! i still have alot to learn and cant wait to get started!

There are lots of videos on milling ranging from people milling with electric chainsaws, to big saws in big wood and everything in between.
This is my favourite as far as getting set up and things to consider.

The 066 WILL be a better saw for milling. I know a member that has an earlier edition of that saw, it is a ported 80 with 90 top end and while the 87cc Jonny works ok, he expressed an interest in a larger saw for the job.

its funny you say that because in the future i think thats the route i will be going. thank you for the input.

Back