Killing paper Mulberry suckers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CinVasko

Reaction score
Hello,
I need some advice on killing suckers from a now dead and removed Paper Mulberry tree. The old tree came down in a winter storm last year and was huge - the diameter of the trunk was 12'. According to my landlord it was decades old. It always threw hundreds of fast growing suckers, and underground roots are still alive and sending them up by the several hundreds. I've been using brush and stump killer by Bonide with 8.8% Triclopyr. I cut the suckers close to the ground and immediately apply the stump killer, but it's a never-ending battle. Is there anything else I should try? Many thanks in advance.

Hello,
I need some advice on killing suckers from a now dead and removed Paper Mulberry tree. The old tree came down in a winter storm last year and was huge - the diameter of the trunk was 12'. According to my landlord it was decades old. It always threw hundreds of fast growing suckers, and underground roots are still alive and sending them up by the several hundreds. I've been using brush and stump killer by Bonide with 8.8% Triclopyr. I cut the suckers close to the ground and immediately apply the stump killer, but it's a never-ending battle. Is there anything else I should try? Many thanks in advance.
Build a bonfire on the remains of the stump.

Build a bonfire on the remains of the stump.
There isn't any visible stump left. The crew my landlord hired ground the stump and all surface roots to below ground level. There were massive above ground roots that went on for dozens of feet. Nothing left but sawdust and dips in the yard where it all settled. My neighbors have random Paper Mulberry trees in clusters too - up to 30-ish feet tall and with 8" - 12" diameter trunks. They've just let them go on the perimeters of their yards and there seems to be huge root networks connecting them all. As long as the roots are there I don't think I'll ever get rid of mine. But I was wondering if there was a more appropriate/stronger chemical that was better suited to the Mulberry. I doubt when mine was planted that people new how invasive they are - or they didn't care. It's a major PIA for sure! And frankly, if I made a bonfire in the sawdust pile that was the stump, I'm afraid I'd cause a big neighborhood fire if it linked to the remaining major roots and! lol That's my kind of luck.

Back