Looking to kill a few trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Graff

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, I have a bunch of manchurian elm trees that grew in the wrong places, and are required to die. I don't care if I kill them standing or cut down. What's the best way to kill them?

Also have a few apricot trees that required dying as well. I want to kill these after cutting the trees down, and possibly extracting the root balls for woodworking. This tree is suckering all over the lawn. Anything to kill the roots off as well?

Is Garlon (active ingredient triclopyr) available to you?

Tordon is also effective.

You can girdle the trees and treat the cuts. Or cut them down and treat the stumps.

Treat the cuts as soon as possible after making the cuts (right away).

I have had good luck with treating the stump with roundup (straight concentrate, not diluted). It's on the label. Still a chemical treatment though. Also you need to be careful about nearby trees of the same species since it can transfer through root grafts. Otherwise you will need to keep cutting off any sprouts until the root system starves. Certain species are more prolific sprouters than others

You need to decide what sources actually provide research-based science about pesticide hazards and levels of exposure that make a difference. There are those who will say anything is safe and those who will say they are all poisons. They are all toxic to humans at very high levels...then again, so is water.

You need to decide what sources actually provide research-based science about pesticide hazards and levels of exposure that make a difference. There are those who will say anything is safe and those who will say they are all poisons. They are all toxic to humans at very high levels...then again, so is water.

In our case, it's not so simple. Dad was one of the original guys to do field testing of many chemicals before they came to the market. He has certain sets of data that very very few others have access to. So, I'd say that his concern is probably vaild. As for Roundup, I'll say that glyphosphate is not cancer causing. However, a few of the other compounds in the bottle that do cause cancer... All the studies only focus on glyphosphate. Scientific studies can tell the truth, but not all of the truth. Especially where big money is involved.

I have had good luck with treating the stump with roundup (straight concentrate, not diluted). It's on the label. Still a chemical treatment though. Also you need to be careful about nearby trees of the same species since it can transfer through root grafts. Otherwise you will need to keep cutting off any sprouts until the root system starves. Certain species are more prolific sprouters than others
I may give that a try. see what happens.

I'm going to repeat what ATH said. What is your exposure level. One exposure to a certain chemical will not give you cancer, chronic exposure to certain products will increase your chances. I've talked to many old timers that used to do right of way spraying back in the day. Nasty chemicals, little PPE, lived to a ripe old age. I'm sure some of their fellow workers didn't. Pepper is fairly toxic but I'm still putting it on my eggs.

Salt: Table salt (sodium chloride) has an LD50 of 3000 mg/kg. A teaspoon of saltweighs about 5.69 grams. Water: Water has an LD50 of 90 ml/kg. Toothpaste: Sodium fluoride has an LD50 of 52 mg/kg.

So, I have a bunch of manchurian elm trees that grew in the wrong places, and are required to die. I don't care if I kill them standing or cut down. What's the best way to kill them?

Also have a few apricot trees that required dying as well. I want to kill these after cutting the trees down, and possibly extracting the root balls for woodworking. This tree is suckering all over the lawn. Anything to kill the roots off as well?

Drive copper nails or pipe into the tree or stump , "copper= sterilizing people,amimals , and plants .

The problem in this situation is that I can't really get into where this tree is at to drive nails in. Two of the elm trees are in the middle of junipers that my mom really doesn't want damaged. It's a real mess. Although, currently, these elms are the best on the yard. haha

Latest posts

Back