Mac saw ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew4522

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got this for free, found it in my wife's uncle's shed.. No markings or serial numbers anywhere that I can find..I've looked everywhere. A spray of carb cleaner in the carb and some fresh gas and it fired up and runs mint. One of the louder saws I've ran.. Has a 24" b/c and seems to pull it just fine through some green red oak. Any ideas what exact model it could be? 20190320_171454.jpg 20190320_171446.jpg 20190320_171439.jpg 20190320_171431.jpg

Looks like a Mac 10-10. No muffler just a straight pipe. These vintage saws run for ever, ever notice the exhaust smell is different than the rest. I love the smell of two stroke in the morning, smells like another successful day at work.

Almost certainly a Frankensaw, probably started life as a 7-10 but could be a PM55 as well. The black AF cover would be typical of a PM55 but the upright muffler is typical to the 70cc models. The only black clutch covers I've seen were NOS replacements, I can't recall seeing any saws with the short clutch cover w/o brake that were black.

I am guessing the AF cover and clutch cover are replacements.

Mark

A lot of things about it remind me of my Dad's old Super Pro 60, that I learned to cut with, but it has been at least 30 years since I have used that saw.

I think Mark is right about it being a frankensaw, I know that Dad's SP 60 had a Yellow AF cover, and I honestly don't remember the Clutch cover in that great of detail, but pretty sure it was yellow too, other wise it looks a lot like Dad's old saw, ya know, the one that I wish I still had;) didn't even tell me that he was trading it off:(

Doug :cheers:

I will take your word for it Mark;)

It's been a LOOOOOOONG Time since I have even seen that saw, and I'm sure no Mac authority, overall, it reminds me a lot of Dad's saw, and I have some very Fond Memories of it:)

Doug :cheers:

I see that no one has told you how to determine the motor size. Pull the spark plug and check the length of the stroke. Next pull the carb and check the size of the bore. Next use this formula------ v=3.14 x. 1/2 bore squared x stroke. 4.3 ci. = a 7-10, 3.5 ci =Promac 55, 3.8 ci = Promac 60. It's probably one of those three.

My Pro Mac 60 also has a muffler identical that. I've seen some 7-10s with the vertical louvered muffler but the louvers were offset and didn't line up as they went down the face of the muffler. But with your saw, who knows if that's the original muffler that came with it or not.

Attachments

• IMG_5572 (17).JPG
    IMG_5572 (17).JPG
    800.6 KB · Views: 4
Now we know who has all the mcculloch chainsaws. I’m sure theres a lot buried in town dumps too how sad but true. Buckin billy ray on you tube a tree cutter still runs mcculloch saws on a regular basis.

My uncle Paul was the man he had a old uprite body mcculloch direct drive saw that was my grandfathers. It took him an hour to start it buy it cut decent when it was running. Everytime I see the mc yellow saws I think of uncle Paul cutting trees.

The Pro Mac 55 , 60 and 7-10 all have de-comp valves. Without going down to the shop, I know that my 7-10's both have external idle adjustment. I'm not sure of the Promac 60 and the Promac 55 that I have does not. Like previously stated, your saw can be made up of several different pieces of other 10 series saws just to keep it usable. That's one of the fun things of the 10 series. I once stated that if you own a McCulloch 10-10 saw, you need 2 more as parts saws to keep it running. As I said before, the only way to be sure is to measure your motor ci's. You did look in the carb box for the metal ID tag didn't you ??

Back