Making a saw keeper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Been raining here so I had an idea for something I've wanted to do for quite a while. When going to cut and you put the saws in the back of the truck they wanted to slide around. Really bad with a bed liner so I wanted to cure that. Some of the woods we have are hilly too so they want to slide then as well. Wanted something that would fold up and be out of the way so I started tossing ideas in my head around and this is what I came up with.

MVC-002S.JPG

Bought a Pressure treated 2 x 8 some bungee cords and 2 packs of screw on D rings. If you have bigger bars a bigger board would be in order as this is close on some of mine.

MVC-003S.JPG

I want it to hook in between the gap of the bed and tailgate, thus not allowing it to slide forward. Got a scrap of thin steel and bent a pattern. Then to the steel pile and got some 1/8" strap stainless and cut them to length after cutting the board to bed width and laying it all out.

MVC-004S.JPG

Transferred the bend lines to the 2 straps and bent them both in the press at once. Makes them the same and used a square to make sure they were straight.

MVC-005S.JPG

2 simple bends and I'm good to go. Nice matched set this way

MVC-006S.JPG

Here you can see how the hook in. The 45 degree bend is needed to clear the tailgate. It just barely hits it when closed and locks it into position. Basically trapping it with no straps or bolting down, Quick and easy.

MVC-007S.JPG

Put the saws in position allowing some space between. Slot positions can be added where ever needed down the road too. I just plunge cut them with a chainsaw and made them twice the width of the bar.

MVC-008S.JPG

Hit them real quick with a rounding router blade to get rid of the splintered edges. Not too worried about perfection here, it's a used tool.

MVC-009S.JPG

All the slots done and rounded over. Now I'm ready to attach the straps.

MVC-010S.JPG

Went to the outer edge and checked to see if everything cleared. After doing so I drilled a 3/8" hole in the ends of both straps and A pilot hole in the 2 x 8. I used 3/8" lag bolts 3 inches long.

MVC-011S.JPG

Putting them on the outer ends allows you to fold the straps in for storage . It also allows it to be thrown in the bed and wood stacked on top of it when you can just stick your saws into the wood load like we all do.

MVC-012S.JPG

Here it is in position. Be sure to check your biggest saw but just in front of the wheel well works for mine. Next is the D rings.

MVC-013S.JPG

I put them on the top edge and position them in the middle distance between the slots.

MVC-014S.JPG

I then wrapped the ends with some electrical tape to keep it from messing up the paint on the truck and to get some of the slop out.

MVC-015S.JPG

Put some of the saws in for a trial test and works great. When you have a bed liner saws are always moving around and panic stops will send them rolling. We have some hills in the woods too and this will keep them in place while getting there.

MVC-016S.JPG

Nice ,safe from damage and tidy.

MVC-017S.JPG

An inch or 2 gap in the back.

MVC-018S.JPG

You can have saws going the other way as well so about 8 saws can be done easily.

MVC-019S.JPG

Ready to load wood? Just fold it up and put it in the front and stack on top of it. Stick the saws in the cut wood and you're good to go.

MVC-020S.JPG

Stores easily and compact. This is a nice little project that can be done pretty quickly for little money. Most probably have the materials laying around and I thought you guys might be able to incorporate this into your operation.

Nice job Kevin - even one I can copy (no welding or machining!).

Now you have to come up with a plan to keep your oil and gas containers from sliding around in the bed of your truck.

Actually, a few more bungie cords, and he can hold those in front of the board, between the saw bars.

Philbert

Nice job Kevin - even one I can copy (no welding or machining!).

Actually, a few more bungie cords, and he can hold those in front of the board, between the saw bars.

Philbert
Good idea Philbert on using the D-rings and bungee cords for the gas and oil in front of the saws.
Erik B

Nice idea and beaut 4 saw plan (l bet he has a few more hidden away). Would having the saws mounted on the front end of the cab opposed to the rear be a more comfortable ride for them? l was always told to sit at the front of the bus if l wanted a smoothe ride. Good Idea and thanks for taking the time to share!!

Nice idea and beaut 4 saw plan (l bet he has a few more hidden away). Would having the saws mounted on the front end of the cab opposed to the rear be a more comfortable ride for them? l was always told to sit at the front of the bus if l wanted a smoothe ride. Good Idea and thanks for taking the time to share!!

The reason I like them at the back is that I use the tailgate as a gas- oil fill and work table when sawing. when they are all at the back of the bed you just reach forward to get one and you don't have to lift it over the side of the bed or slide it back.

As Philbert said, gas and oil are bungeed as well. Normally don't take all the Big saws so there is room there for my 5 gallon "toolbox" and 2 1/2 gallon jug of fuel.

I love the fold flat floor in the back seat area of my pick up. Saws don't slide around there and if I stop for some thing I don't have to worry about theft.

:D Al

I guess if any oil or gas spills then it would be less nasty than having them in the cab.
You could also use a Python cable lock to lock those puppies to the D rings if you needed to leave them to go into stores and such.
I would be afraid to throw much wood in there with all the nice saws you own though. Especially that biggun' WOW. How long is that biatch?
I always used the roof rack on my Jeeps to carry my extra fuel, chainsaws or propane tanks on long camping and fishing trips.
I hate the smell of fuel on long trips.

Where u going to put the wood

Generally we saw all day, when ground is too wet to haul. Once it is fit or froze, we haul. This collaspes down to where you just stack on top of it and then stick the saws in the wood. I don't generally take more than one big saw, sometimes none as I'll work up all the smaller stuff till it's just down to the 2 ft and over and do that. Yes, we have the luxury of not having to haul what we cut when we saw.

I guess if any oil or gas spills then it would be less nasty than having them in the cab.
You could also use a Python cable lock to lock those puppies to the D rings if you needed to leave them to go into stores and such.
I would be afraid to throw much wood in there with all the nice saws you own though. Especially that biggun' WOW. How long is that biatch?
I always used the roof rack on my Jeeps to carry my extra fuel, chainsaws or propane tanks on long camping and fishing trips.
I hate the smell of fuel on long trips.

It's a 4 ft bar. It weighs about 44 lbs and is nose heavy with that bar. Going to run a 3 ft on it as it is normally good enough. The other 2 bigger ones are 3 ft

Latest posts

Back