Mice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use standard mouse traps but we hot glue the green rat poison pellets on never seen a trap tripped without a mouse in it with that setup.
The only thing I found better than a cat was my dog, a flat-coated retriever, Lady. She wiped out every rodent in my back yard, including squirrels until she got older. Neighbors called her the rodent destroyer. Best thing about her is that she seldom barked. Instead, she minded her own business and hunted them down like a bobcat. Totally relentless, she cleaned them out -- rabbits, rats, opossums, ground squirrels, chipmunks, and even moles. Best part about her was that she was a fabulous watch dog.

I lost Lady late last month to old age after 15.5 years. I will never forget her.
IMG_20170818_085323.jpg If its bigger then a mouse deisle takes care of it.

Antifreeze. It kills the smell too.

That did cross my mind, but I empty the contents into a crop field behind our property. Ive found that even the "environmentally friendly" antifreeze isn't.

No need for water, they'll fall in and die of exposure or you can feed them to your lazy cats.:cool:

Good point.... Didn't think of that.

Cats aren't ours, that's what makes it so humorous. They are outdoor cats that belong to the neighbor, but they get fed.

Bastards just cost me $300. Must have been one of the cats drug one of the bait blocks into the dogs zone, ole girl had it half gone by the time my wife knew what was going on. Hopefully whatever drug it out of the shed ingested some of it like our dog did.

Time to wage war on the mice AND cats.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bastards just cost me $300. Must have been one of the cats drug one of the bait blocks into the dogs zone, ole girl had it half gone by the time my wife knew what was going on. Hopefully whatever drug it out of the shed ingested some of it like our dog did.

Poison is a bad way to rid your area of mice, as you have just learned. It's like leaving a land mine in your yard.

Baits should be used only in baiting stations. They greatly reduce bait usage, too. I bought one but there should be some easy DIY designs around.

https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/rat-bait-stations-c-21_333.html?page=all

I simply got discouraged because my standby seemed to be less effective.

And they were starting to destroy items with significant value.

I've already picked up all the bait and have reset my black oil sunflower seed traps.

best rat trap is a 5 gal bucket, broom stick, and some peanut butter. Cut the top out of the bucket lid and attach it to the broom stick laid across the top of the bucket. Put a couple inches of water in the bottom of the bucket. Put a dab of peanut butter on the broom handle right in the middle where you attached it to the lid. Lean something against the bucket a mouse or rat can climb. They will climb to the lid and when the try to walk across the top to get to the peanutbutter, the lid will flip, dumping the mouse inside the bucket of water where it will drown. There is no escape and you can catch several mice at a time without having to reset or rebait the trap. to empty, just dump the water and mice somewhere, refill with water and catch the rest of the critters. No posion to deal with.

View attachment 613194 I've had my share of problems with mice. I loaned a riding mower to a friend. It was not used over winter then did not start. I brought it home and when I opened it up it was loaded with mice nests. I cleaned it up, got it running and kept it at home. My latest and ongoing battle is with my tractor. They keep chewing the instrument panel wiring. I just finished the third repair. I am trying bounce fabric softener sheets. I use a pick-up tool to get them into the wiring area. I may fill a mesh bag with moth balls and see if that helps.

What's up with wire nuts? I hope that isn't OEM and just a hack job by a previous owner (and something you should fix!)

What's up with wire nuts? I hope that isn't OEM and just a hack job by a previous owner (and something you should fix!)

That was my quick repair from the previous mice incident. It may be a hack job but it worked for a long time. This time I have rewired the instrument panel.

Thanks for the heads up on mothball smell. Thankfully I have not gone that route. Now I'm thinking of hot gluing sticky pads to the top of the fuel tank. May get them there. Easy access. Plus the 5 gallon pail trap next to or under the tractor.

It's a lawn mower, guessing the value at around 350$ , I'd take the risk. It's also 12v DC, the likely hood of fire is extremely low.

He said it was on his tractor... so that could be a unit that is just a few grand to several 10 grand. None the less, using some crimp connectors and shrink wrap isn't going to take much more time.

Back