My one Jotul complaint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
See that little shiny silver knob on the end of the air control lever? It's about 3.67 bazillion degrees right now :). Adjusting it requires either the stove mitt or the end of the poker. Seems like they could make it out of something that conducts a little less heat. --Ian

attachment.php

Last edited:
Find a coiled up handle to put on there.. Like from and old school poker. Or just get a heavy duty spring. stretch it out a bit to give it some air space between the coils and weld a nut with the same threads to it.

You got it right, that is the hottest part of the stove, I think. I use a little toy plastic pliers, it would melt if left on there too long I think. I love the oslo though, Got to graphite the damper about once a month too.

I noticed that it was not quite smooth in action anymore. I might have to look into some graphite lube too. I have a can of that out in the barn that I was using as a mold release when I was casting bullets.

Ian

I have the 400, I agree w/you that little booger will bite ya'...I use a good pair of gloves from my profession, not to big of a deal for me...

+1 to the Jotul. I have the Firelight CB and I love the stove but the air control has always been the thing I would change. I have had other folks try and adjust it and smoke their fingers. I figure it teaches them a lesson about touching another mans stove.

OK, OK so Jotul isn't perfection. Agreed.
Some solutions:
1. Fit a wood knob to the metal end. ( If my VC Encore can use one on the top lid that gets damn hot, why not Jotul ? ) :jawdrop:

2. Be fast, be nimble, be quick: don't spend time caressing the knob. Do it with speed....we do. :clap:

3. Forget digits you fools, do what SWMBO does: use your foot to move the knob. ( Yes, she does have delicate W 9 feet. ):popcorn:

4. AND, finally, stop the whine, live with it. :confused: The Oslo for it's faults is a well-made, quality stove.

JMNSHO

You are right that little bugger will burn you. That is why I keep a pair of welders gloves handy. In my view that is a small issue for a wonderful stove. w jones :agree2:

Grit your teeth and grab it like a man, hack the pain.

You are right that little bugger will burn you. That is why I keep a pair of welders gloves handy. In my view that is a small issue for a wonderful stove. w jones :agree2:
+1. Welders gloves are standard stove equipment around my house. I just gave a pair to LOML for Christmas. She loves them and uses them every time she adds fuel to the stove. :cheers:

I really found out why there is a hook on my poker! I have a 600 and guess what? Mine sticks also! So, I use the hook on the poker!

My Jotul has it in a different spot, but it still requires the welders glove (well actually I don't have to put the glove on, but you it like a hotpad to slide the control. The plus is it is the one adjustment on the stove. I see some of you with multiple handles/levers and I start thinking 'it's a stove not a forklift'

:cheers:

... and need you should be grumbling. This Jotul stove that you bought is anything but cheap. The design flaw that you uncovered is an oversight that begs for a retrofit.

Get a grip. DESIGN FLAW? Its a friggin air control! It is not calibrated, nor does it have a vernier scale. It takes about a millionth of a second of finger contact to adjust. Just because someone swoons over adjusting and twisting assorted dials and controls on their stoves doesn't mean everyone does. I believe most users value their Jotuls for their performance, quality, and simplicity. If you are looking for design flaws, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Get a grip. DESIGN FLAW? Its a friggin air control! It is not calibrated, nor does it have a vernier scale. It takes about a millionth of a second of finger contact to adjust. Just because someone swoons over adjusting and twisting assorted dials and controls on their stoves doesn't mean everyone does. I believe most users value their Jotuls for their performance, quality, and simplicity. If you are looking for design flaws, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Calling Mr. Moderator ! Calling Mr. Moderator !:buttkick::buttkick:

The food fight begins.:dizzy: Is it the Biblical Storm of the Century keeping people indoors crazed ? :popcorn:

.....calling Mr. Moderator........................:monkey:

Latest posts

Back