Need help with insurance.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dnel

Reaction score
Hi all first post, I'm attempting to do my own thing delimbing juniper. Currently trying to figure out what to do for llc or sole proprietor, and how each of those relate to gl+ broadform insurance. Have a few years in industry but this is first time on my own, any advice would be appreciated.

Hi all first post, I'm attempting to do my own thing delimbing juniper. Currently trying to figure out what to do for llc or sole proprietor, and how each of those relate to gl+ broadform insurance. Have a few years in industry but this is first time on my own, any advice would be appreciated.

Go LLC to start, it insulates your personal stuff from business stuff, so when, not if, you get sued and if you lose you don't lose the house, its 6th grader paper work, and the Feds are used to dummies trying to fill that **** out... so don't get a crooked assed lawyer to do it, just take your time, read through everything and make informed choices, easier then getting a home loan.

Also going LLC from the get go will save you a lot of headache down the road... especially say if there is a pandemic going on at the same time your switching over... ( its been a 6 month ordeal for me)

Insurance, Loggers.com they are WA based, but they insure in OR too, or at the very least can hook you up with credible folks in OR

As to broadform? you talking auto ins? cause thats really a state by state thing, otherwise for business ins. your looking at a biz liability and possibly bonding, (bonding is also a state by state thing, and frankly unless your doing gov work, useless... though some forms of bis license require a bond such as General Contractor etc)

If you plan on working for the Forest Service, they have specific insurance and licensing needs that will need to be met before bidding for them.

Self employment is a brutal mistress, but even though I'm currently broke... still better then punching a clock until knuckles bleed...

LLC to start for sure. It will prevent you from getting sued and losing your house. They’re fairly easy to set up, just take your time and read every part of the paperwork. I can’t help you with insurance in Oregon, but most agencies will offer commercial policies, so just shop around and be sure to take you time and read everything in the paperwork associated with them. Same thing with any contracts you write up or sign.

Oh, and I don’t know exactly what you mean by Juniper delimbing, but if you’re climbing, or will have a climber, at least where I’ve been insured in a few states now, there is a difference in commercial policies usually taken by arborists & other general contractors. I think it mostly has to do with working at heights and workman’s comp from falls.

Hey northman, I couldn't figure out how to send pm, interested in that 518. Have some other questions as well. Could you pm me if possible?

Latest posts

Back