New 550xp mark II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I’m interested in getting one of these for limbing and small stuff. I don’t like that they’re heavier though. We run a 545 and a 555xp at work and I always appreciated how light they are.

So it's not really an evolution of the old design it's an entirely new saw.

Th guy on the left is leaning a bit on the MkII - the guy on the right appears to be free floating.

It looks like a subtle push, but in places you can hear the RPM difference and it may add to the outcome slightly.

IMHO, even with this difference, the MkII appears to have more juice than the old version, but maybe not by quite as much as this vid suggests.

:chainsaw:

Nothing new here, Husky still has a great two saw plan, a 50 and a 70 that should pair up great for all your cutting needs (you'll run the 550 longer before needing to grab the 572).
View attachment 698053

Agreed, for many of us, good dealer service is essential, mine offers both Husky and Stihl and I am long time 346xp user (and several saws before that) who started cutting larger wood again a few years back, and love my 562xp.

However, for anyone with some hours on their body clock and still likes to work out on the slopes (I wouldn't have worried about it as much 50 years ago), the lighter the better and the lighter 50cc and 70 cc combo now is: Stihl 261 c-m and 462 c-m

The 462 c-m's low weight is a game changer for the 70cc class and we'll see how the new 550xp Mk2 fares against the now lighter 261 c-m.

Not necessarily, all too often change is made simply for the sake of change

Doug :cheers:

I'm thinking, Stihl has grabbed a lot of attention with the 462 and all the talk about the 500i. Husky has made these changes to say "hey, we havent given up, good things are coming" . This way at least people are talking about a couple of more new Huskys besides the 572. Then again, maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but I think its smart, other than adding weight.

I hope they do well for you in the long term.

I wish Husky would have just refined the existing models, rather than made “all new” models.

Gaining that much weight on the 550 is not necessarily a good thing. The “old” 550 is a tiny little thing for a 50cc saw. They handle really, really good. I can’t imagine better throttle response in the new one, yet Husky is claiming that. I’ll get a look at the new one eventually. It’s probably going to work out as the first new model for them without issues in a long time. They have to have learned a sobering lesson, no?

I hope they do well for you in the long term.

I wish Husky would have just refined the existing models, rather than made “all new” models.

Gaining that much weight on the 550 is not necessarily a good thing. The “old” 550 is a tiny little thing for a 50cc saw. They handle really, really good. I can’t imagine better throttle response in the new one, yet Husky is claiming that. I’ll get a look at the new one eventually. It’s probably going to work out as the first new model for them without issues in a long time. They have to have learned a sobering lesson, no?
they will be fine. I used the 562 a fair bit last year with no issues & like I said, bought it new in 2012.

I just have too many saws & usually grab a ported 346 & 357 when I head out.

Yup, I have a very low hour 2011 ms362. I usually grab something else. I have however, made a pact with myself that I’m going to start running it again more regularly. Beautiful saw, if a little portly.. I don’t want to wear it out. Ridiculous eh?

Agreed, for many of us, good dealer service is essential, mine offers both Husky and Stihl and I am long time 346xp user (and several saws before that) who started cutting larger wood again a few years back, and love my 562xp.

However, for anyone with some hours on their body clock and still likes to work out on the slopes (I wouldn't have worried about it as much 50 years ago), the lighter the better and the lighter 50cc and 70 cc combo now is: Stihl 261 c-m and 462 c-m

The 462 c-m's low weight is a game changer for the 70cc class and we'll see how the new 550xp Mk2 fares against the now lighter 261 c-m.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, I just don't believe it will have a large effect on the brand.
Let's take the 5105 for example, look at how many have bought them, what's the weight/power.
I also prefer the handling of a husky. Do I want a 462, heck yes after having my hands on one, but I've got a decent selection of 70cc saws to run so I don't feel me buying a 462 would cause anything to change for either manufactures numbers.
The guy on the left is leaning a bit on the MkII - the guy on the right appears to be free floating.

It looks like a subtle push, but in places you can hear the RPM difference and it may add to the outcome slightly.

IMHO, even with this difference, the MkII appears to have more juice than the old version, but maybe not by quite as much as this vid suggests.

:chainsaw:
Yep, I thought the same, maybe its cause you can't lean on it as much and he's running it to it's highest efficient cutting speed?
Who knows, that's why I just buy them all so I don't have to listen to what everyone tells me or is saying, so when can I get one :).

The 5105 does not feel heavy. It does feel fat, with an easily perceptible roll resistance. I felt it immediately within seconds while using it limbing. Like the very first time I flipped it.

The 5105 does have delicious, torquey power for 50cc so it is a bit of a trade off, I suppose. It’s a serious small wood bucking saw.

The old 550 has none of that roll resistance, but is “peaky” and falls off the power easily. It is a serious limbing saw.

Different flavours of 50cc.

Personally, I want different flavours to run at different times. Just because.

So I still “need” another 50cc....or hop up the 2152 a little...hmmmmm.

The 5105 does not feel heavy to me. It does feel fat, with an easily perceptible roll resistance. I felt it immediately within seconds while using it limbing. Like the very first time I flipped it.

The 5105 does have delicious, torquey power for 50cc so it is a bit of a trade off, I suppose. It’s a serious small wood bucking saw.

The old 550 has none of that roll resistance, but is “peaky” and falls off the power easily. It is a serious limbing saw.

Different flavours of 50cc.

Personally, I want different flavours to run at different times. Just because.

So I still “need” another 50cc....or hop up the 2152 a little...hmmmmm.
Fixed it :rolleyes:. I feel the same way about the 6100 heavy/bulky/poor balance. I've got more dolmars than most, even a 4300 I like, can you guess which dolly I like(clue; it's still made by makita).
I like the 2152 a lot, great saws, but like you I also enjoy having different saws for different situations.

I definately could not get along with the 6100. It’s the goofiest feeling saw I’ve ever held. It might be excellent for bucking, but it’s just way too fat for me (and the fore-aft balance is odd too, imo). I also don’t like the front handle bend in any direction.

I think your favourite might be the 420? (4300 or whatever), although I don’t think that’s what you are insinuating? I’m curious what your favourite dolly is.., as I think we are on the same page wrt handling.

I think that all of my newer saws do not have enough weight in the rear handle, when compared to my old Jonny 590’s. Just an observation. One of those was my first saw, so they just feel familiar every time I use one.

I don’t mind the fore-aft balance of my 5105, it’s pretty good. It’s the wide thing that gets in my way.

I definately could not get along with the 6100. It’s the goofiest feeling saw I’ve ever held. It might be excellent for bucking, but it’s just way too fat for me (and the fore-aft balance is odd too, imo). I also don’t like the front handle bend in any direction.

I think your favourite might be the 420? (4300 or whatever), although I don’t think that’s what you are insinuating? I’m curious what your favourite dolly is.., as I think we are on the same page wrt handling.
7910, to bad I don't like the 5105 for handling as they may a nice 2 saw plan.
Hopefully the new 550 will be a good match to go with a 7910, if not I have plenty of 372's it will go well with and a 576 AT.

IMHO the 550, 545, 550 and 562 were not thoroughly tested designs that were rushed out the door. Something internally also occurred within Husqvarna to cause such a decline in quality control, and at a very critical time too. I personally consider them all failures. This is not to say they haven't paved the way for the new models, and when running right they're actually super nice saws to run.

IMHO, 545/550xp are the best looking chainsaws on the market.

I run 545 (2017) on daily basis and i am a little bit frightened that something might happen to it. Especially the carb, because the carb has already been replaced.
So it kinda ruins the mood, when you're constantly thinking about it.

And just because of that i don't think that i'll get another autotune saw anytime soon.

When I first saw the new Husky look, which is old now, I thought wow! what a beautiful looking machine!

As time has passed I have come full circle and prefer the look of a box with handles. Think 262xp, or 036.

New saws have lots of bends and crevices and stiffening ribs and stuff that gets dirty and they are hard to wipe off.

Back