New outdoor wood boiler, 3 way valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsjosh1977

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should install a 3 way valve to my heat exchanger inside my furnace. It's a down draft furnace. I'm worried about it overheating the board, or fan while it's not blowing air.
8ea2301397e3db36dd3ae8187907a0ea.jpg
84c076e7bbd486d4624dec02ecbbf3ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand your question or what a 3 way valve is. If you are worried about the heat ex overheating the furnace when the blower is not in use, I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think it would harm anything. I know in regular hot air heat ex setups it's no problem.

I'm not sure I understand your question or what a 3 way valve is. If you are worried about the heat ex overheating the furnace when the blower is not in use, I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think it would harm anything. I know in regular hot air heat ex setups it's no problem.
A 3 way zone valve. I can wire it so when the thermostat calls for heat it opens the valve to allow water to flow thru the exchanger in the furnace. When the thermostat reaches temp it shuts off the zone valve and furnace and water stops running thru the exchanger

The hottest the air can get is the water temperature. It is not the same as if the gas keeps burning without airflow where the furnace internals may get much hotter. Most modern furnaces have over temp sensors to minimize such risk anyway.

The hottest the air can get is the water temperature. It is not the same as if the gas keeps burning without airflow where the furnace internals may get much hotter. Most modern furnaces have over temp sensors to minimize such risk anyway.
You are correct. And I have a 20+ year old furnace. My thing it's a down force furnace. If it was a up force furnace I wouldn't worry about it

I am pulling from the bottom of my water jacket so I kinda want to keep the water uniform inside. I just ordered a snap disk to shut the fan off incase it runs out of wood and another aquastat to monitor temps of in coming water and control the first thermostat that just runs the blower

I'm still want my furnace as backup

I have two thermostat in my house one runs the propane furnace and AC and the other one controls turning the pumps on,off and the furnace blower for the Garn wood boiler. It makes going back to propane a simple change over. Put the one thermostat for the Garn to off and turn the propane one on. So far in 10 years the only times I use the propane is to check it every fall to make sure it still works.

Installllmnsdlfs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Install

Install a 3 way normally closed valve. I just install my boiler with the heat exchanger in the plenum. I had to insulate the loop lines to prevent the basement from getting too warm.

Install a 3 way normally closed valve. I just install my boiler with the heat exchanger in the plenum. I had to insulate the loop lines to prevent the basement from getting too warm.
That looks identical to mine. I plan on installing the valve. Probably won't be until after Xmas now. I just ordered a aquastat to read temps for incoming water and if it gets to cold will shut the first thermostat off and the second will run the furnace like normal

I've found that running the fan on a higher speed in the furnace helps too. I have 1200sqft, but my exchanger is small 12x18. Biggest I could fit in my old furnace.

Next step is to add a aquastat to control the fan when the fire dies down, or is just coals. I've tried snap discs but I just can't get them to work right for me. I should have thought of this when i built this boiler, I wish I would have done a lot of things different. Haha

Back