Oak/Maple and Maple at the Beach Log Dump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Out again with my bowl turning friend on another gorgeous day at the city log dump.

IMG_4982.JPG
The log dump is practically empty right now, we picked the last two remaining half decent logs. First was an oak that had been sitting in the dump for about a year.
IMG_4979.JPG

The second was a large chunk of spalted maple that had only shown up a few weeks ago at the dump. We were a bit leery of it as it looked somewhat past its best before date. There was one area that seemed solid enough that we might get a few slabs out of it. Plus there wasn't much else to choose from.
IMG_4977.JPG
Here are the two logs all set up, with the 390 all ready to go.
IMG_4985.JPG

So after we stripped the bark, we cut the end off the oak log. It was immediately obvious that it was not oak, but it was less obvious what it was. So we peeled off the first slab and lo and behold it wasn't oak at all, but rather some kind of hard maple.
IMG_4992spun.jpg

The slab in the picture above has some pith in it, in general the slabs from this log were pretty good. We cut them to 4" thick and my friend high graded them for bowl blanks. He had to work around a couple knots, and a nail that the saw found. He wound up with 9 pretty decent blanks.

The other log turned out to be even a bit further gone than we had feared. We peeled off 5 slabs at 2 1/2" thick, but there was so much soft and punky wood that we eventually stopped about half way through the log. Which was too bad as the log was over 30" wide at the widest point, it had a lot of wood in it. All the slabs were gorgeous, similar to the one below.
IMG_4994.JPG

Up close though, you can see that the wood was so soft that the saw was tearing as it cut. The darker wood is reasonably solid, but the lighter wood around it is very soft. Hard to take advantage of the spalting that way. Kind of disappointing, if only we had got to it a bit earlier it would be pretty sweet wood.
IMG_4998.JPG
I cut a few sections out that looked promising, but I have my doubts about how it will turn out.

Once again I did not have to sharpen my chains at all. Looking forward to getting my other 3120 back from the shop though, I do notice that the 390 struggles on cuts the 3120 goes through with ease. Left a bit more scrap than usual once again, mostly due to the amount of punk in the second log. Still a lovely day when we left.
IMG_5001.JPG

Door to door it was just over three hours.

I bumped into my bowl turning friend at the grocery store a few hours later.

Hey I noticed that after the arboristsite crashed a couple years ago, when it finally came back that it now seems to restrict the size of the photos that are displayed. I use the "Upload a File" feature, or sometimes I put them on Photobucket and use the links, but either way the photos look small to me. Anyone know how to get photos to display larger, without having to redirect to a photo hosting site?

I love these posts. My county makes mulch out of everything. Probably afraid of having people with saws on the property. I've met many of them. Not a bad idea I guess. The pictures are great.

Thanks guys!

I think you are limited to 4mb files. Thanks for sharing, the view is worth the read alone every time.

You may be right on the 4 MB limit, but the problem is not the size of the file being uploaded, it's the size of the photo being displayed. These photos I am uploading, if I open them on my computer before uploading, they take up the whole screen which is 25" wide. Once I upload them onto Arboristsite and view them from my thread there, then they are only about 7" . The only solution I have thought of so far is to continue to upload as I am doing, but start to also include a direct link to a photo hosting site like adobe or Apple's icloud.

I love these posts. My county makes mulch out of everything. Probably afraid of having people with saws on the property. I've met many of them. Not a bad idea I guess. The pictures are great.

I am sure it will be closed down here too, probably sooner rather than later. There is talk that the use of fireplaces will be banned in a few years. Once that happens, then what need is there for an area to cut firewood . . . Or it could happen before if a city lawyer gets a bee in their bonnet I suppose. Anyways, I am stockpiling for the inevitible day. Today's logs were 212 and 213 that I have taken wood from over the past ~10 years.

Thanks guys!

You may be right on the 4 MB limit, but the problem is not the size of the file being uploaded, it's the size of the photo being displayed. These photos I am uploading, if I open them on my computer before uploading, they take up the whole screen which is 25" wide. Once I upload them onto Arboristsite and view them from my thread there, then they are only about 7" . The only solution I have thought of so far is to continue to upload as I am doing, but start to also include a direct link to a photo hosting site like adobe or Apple's icloud.
The max image width is 800 pixels and height is 600 pixels when you upload them directly through the site. What I'm not sure about is if you can get a bigger picture is you use a hosting site like photobucket...

OK here is a picture that I uploaded to arboristsite:
IMG_5001.JPG

And here is the same picture uploaded to Photobucket:
IMG_5001_zpsglptz3lj.jpg

Hey! You are right, photobucket is a bit larger on my screen. I didn't think it was larger but looks like I was mistaken. I will go back to using pb for future posts. Thanks!

Very nice, I was wondering if that held true or not. Some times Im lazy and upload them directly, other times I use the bucket.

Thanks for sharing. It's too bad on the maple being punky. I see that a lot. They usually end up as firewood.

I have a few trees lined up for this summer. One's a 30+Black cherry. I almost can't wait. :cheers:

If you really want to make huge images appear, think flickr photo hosting! You can attack us with the original size images that might have some scrolling to the right for twice the length of the screen(oh, and it's free).

Your photo-log of the days you mill are very fun....without doubt!

Scott (photobucket gives me a feel too many ads during loading) B

If you really want to make huge images appear, think flickr photo hosting! You can attack us with the original size images that might have some scrolling to the right for twice the length of the screen(oh, and it's free).

Thanks Scott. I tried uploading the same picture to Flickr and it is larger than the one on Google Photos. You are right, in fact it seems to be showing the photo at full size. I must be missing something as I did have a little trouble getting it to link though. When I just copied the link they provided and pasted into the arboristsite's image linker, it just gave me a tiny little white square To get it to work I had to copy the link for the "BBcode" that Flickr provides for the photo, paste that into Notebook, then extract the URL for the actual photo itself. A bit of a nuisance.

Do photos stay on Flickr 'forever' , or at least until Yahoo goes bust or sells Flickr along? Or do they automatically disappear after a fixed period of time?

16845584600_80a3c7b1de_o.jpg

Maybe for fun I'll go back and edit my original posting in this thread into larger photos!

This would be so much easier over the phone, but I will try......

When you click on the photo to get the link, yes...you need to grab the link from the "Grab the HTML/BBCode" section.
I typically grab the image that says 1024 x ???(because it'll fit most screens without additional side-to-side scrolling). This image below was grabbed with those settings:

Flower
by SDB777, on Flickr

To only show the photo, with no mention of 'flickr' under it, you have to get rid of the quotes url to the quoted /url after the first set.(I can't copy that part to this screen because it tries to make the link).

To change the size of the image, just click a smaller size from the 'box' under the link. Like this one to get 75x75:

Flower
by SDB777, on Flickr

or the other end of the size...the original cropped image of 1867x1181!

Flower
by SDB777, on Flickr

I see the forum server automatically reduces the size.
Regardless, you get 1TB of free storage!

Scott (I probably confused you more then helped) B

Latest posts

Back