ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Opening a tree service business

KeithKoharski

KeithKoharski

ArboristSite Lurker
Not a smart thing to say. Anyhow. Back to the point. $10,000 is not enough to start a tree business. Have you considered any other business? Such as lawn mowing, doing landscape jobs, or house vacuuming? Until you can save up enough coin to start a proper tree service. These ventures would be easier to start with a small amount of capital.

So you’re telling me all the tree companies out there started their business with over $100k?! GTFOH. I beg to differ. Businesses have been started with less than $10k and grown into syccessful entities. Don’t misjudge my capabilities and COH with your dumb comments. I’m curious...Are you a business owner? How much capital did you start with? How many crews do you have going? How many jobs is each crew given per day? What’s your real day to day role in the company?
I’m looking for advice and to have a conversation with industry pros if you don’t have any good advice keep it to yourself. Thanks bro.

KeithKoharski

KeithKoharski

ArboristSite Lurker
Often in red ink.

damn. That sucks. I’m sure it does have it’s good seasons and bad seasons. I want to hear all the bad experiences bc those are the things most people won’t say when you run into them and say “hey, how’s business?“.

In a perfect world I’d love to keep myfull time night shift job since it does pay well. And once the tree go is up and running successfully with all the necessity equipment I could manage and quote and run it from the owner/administration side of things. There’s definitely plenty of people out there who do that through out the country in many fields.

the whole point of my thread is for ideas on how to get STARTED, UP AND RUNNING & what equipment is the best to purchase as a new company. Thanks again for your input man.

DannytreeLLC

DannytreeLLC

ArboristSite Member
I started when I was 22. I was a “fly by night” type until I was 30. 25 years being truly in business. I am 55 now, planning to retire in 5 years or less.

DannytreeLLC

DannytreeLLC

ArboristSite Member
I hold myself to a higher standard. I won’t do a job under $2,500. I had to fire a guy so I only have 2 guys working for me now, but we need another guy with all the calls we get done. I tell people my minimum over the phone which disqualifies a lot of them so I am not wasting my time or theirs

KeithKoharski

KeithKoharski

ArboristSite Lurker
I started when I was 22. I was a “fly by night” type until I was 30. 25 years being truly in business. I am 55 now, planning to retire in 5 years or less.

Fly by night meaning. It wasn’t your full time profession at first? You did tree work part time & slowest funded it Ofer time?
If so, and you did that. Why is it a bad thing for me to? Contradicting don’t you think lol.

I said I want to do it legit from my very first post. License, insured ISA certs.I’m not attempting to be some backyard hillbilly cutting down a tree from a ladder with an echo cs.

DannytreeLLC

DannytreeLLC

ArboristSite Member
I am guilty of that when I was younger we accidentally sent a huge limb down on a mobile home. I didn’t have insurance so we had to take off. Back then I was operating under many different names but it was on the news. Luckily they didn’t have the technology to track me down.

mckeetree

mckeetree

Addicted to ArboristSite
I hold myself to a higher standard. I won’t do a job under $2,500. I had to fire a guy so I only have 2 guys working for me now, but we need another guy with all the calls we get done. I tell people my minimum over the phone which disqualifies a lot of them so I am not wasting my time or theirs
What's up with this...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-27 Dumb dude.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-27 Dumb dude.png
    257 KB · Views: 53
DannytreeLLC

DannytreeLLC

ArboristSite Member
when I signed up on this site I put my Years in Business as my age. I didn’t realize they wanted my personal age. This profile is for my company Danny Tree LLC, not myself Daniel Charn