Oregon Power Sharp any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
Reaction score
I have seen a few adds for this (One being on here). I don't think that they must not be too great since you don't hear that much about them. So what do you guys think of em? Also how much are they? Thanks.

The list price for the package is around $75 most places around here, but a local Home Depot has them for around $55. The local Sears has their inventory on closeout for around $52. They make sense for a certain class of user, but they don't seem to appeal to the more serious chain saw user. I have tried them but prefer the real thing.

The list price for the package is around $75 most places around here, but a local Home Depot has them for around $55. The local Sears has their inventory on closeout for around $52. They make sense for a certain class of user, but they don't seem to appeal to the more serious chain saw user. I have tried them but prefer the real thing.

SO pretty much they don't do a good a job as the good ole' file and guide?

They work as advertised, dull to sharp in a few seconds and it cuts wood. You need the one time special bar, that holds the cassette and stone for sharpening, after that spare chains come with a new stone. I delibarately wore one out to see how many sharpenings I could get, it was 12 on the chain. Not too shabby. Sharpening is pretty fast. It is roughly equivalent to regular 3/8ths low profile in the cut, and regular chains like that will fit on the bar, but can not and should not be run through the sharpening system, totally different chain geometry and method of sharpening.

The one I have is mounted on my battery saw, built in, but the chain and sharpening is the same for the stand alone fit a variety of saws model you are thinking about.

There are several threads here on this topic, use the search feature or copy and paste this into google search box

powersharp site:arboristsite.com

powersharp/electic sharpener for husky 350

hi everyone, my first thread..........I'm wondering if any of the Powersharp bar/chain/stone models will fit my Husky 350....also, what electric chain sharpener anyone would recommend to use........thanks and BE SAFE out there..
Mark

Actually, it's a pretty aggressive, chisel chain. Sharpening system works, and the chain lasts, especially if you don't try to cut concrete with it (like I did at first) - not a fair comparison unless you also do that with conventional chain! I did some side-by-side tests with comparable, conventional chain (Oregon 91VG and 91PX - new, out of the box), on my cordless/battery saw and the PowerSharp cut faster.

Right now, it's only available in 3/8 low profile chain, so 'no' on your 350. They said they are planning to release a .325 version in the Spring.

The initial cost is pretty much what Galde said. I have also seen it in Bailey's catalog, on Amazon, and on eBay. Remember that this also includes the cost of a new bar ($20 - $30) and paying someone to sharpen the chain ($7 x ?) if you don't do it yourself. Once you already have the bar and sharpening cassette, the price drops down to $20 - $30 for a replacement chain and stone (replaced together).

Note: I just checked Bailey's website and they have a few of the complete starter kits priced as low as $40, but replacement chains priced as high as $45!

I use it on my electric chainsaw (Makita UC4000 - 16") and really like the combination. I have a set up for my ECHO CS-400 (14") but have not tried that yet. Looking forward to try the .325 version.

Other people's comments on these threads as well:

- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/125402.htm

- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/148391.htm

Philbert

....also, what electric chain sharpener anyone would recommend to use.......

Welcome to A.S. Mark!

Lots of preferences in sharpening. YOU need to find a method that works for YOU. If you explore the 'search' feature (black box in upper right of the screen) you will find dozens of threads and hundreds of opinions on sharpening chains, including: cheap electric grinders, better electric grinders, Dremel tools, 12 volt electric grinders, and a bunch of guys who will tell you that you need to learn to file! Too many to copy here, but a TON of information and opinions.

Good luck.

Philbert

I don't have a saw with the powersharp system but I have used powersharp chains (because I had new ones) and I find them to cut ok but they seem "rough" while cutting.

I've used the Power Sharp System.

There was the Oregon electric chainsaw with the heavy duty battery.

There was a special chain on this saw with a sharpening device attached to the end of the bar.

The battery powered electric saw was very viable as a home owner pruning device. I made several cuts with it and the chainsaw cut well.

I purposely cut against an old sand mold brick and dulled the chain to where it would not cut at all.

I then applied the sharpening device to the chain and sharpened it.

It then cut as good as new. So everything works as advertised.

I must say that this is not a logger's or even a firewood saw.

It is a homeowner occasional use pruning chainsaw and it does this very well.

As for as Powersharp chain on your small 30 or 40 cc chainsaw, it is a viable entity especially in a homeowner environment.

Great system for someone who either pays to have their chains sharpened, or never sharpens their chains with a file or does a poor job. If a person pays $6.00-$10.00 per time to have a $24.00 chain sharpened 5 times.

$24.00 + (10*5) = $74.00 (at most) About the cost of the starter kit. Plus, they're cutting with a sharp chain.

Are my numbers right or wrong? About right?

There was the Oregon electric chainsaw with the heavy duty battery. . . .
I must say that this is not a logger's or even a firewood saw. . . . It is a homeowner occasional use pruning chainsaw and it does this very well.
. . . As for as Powersharp chain on your small 30 or 40 cc chainsaw, it is a viable entity especially in a homeowner environment.

Yeah, it is important to not confuse the battery-powered 'PowerNow' saw with the 'PowerSharp' chain, as w8ye notes.
I did try conventional 3/8 low profile chain on my Oregon 40V saw, and liked the PowerSharp better. But I liked the PowerSharp chain even more when I tried it on a STIHL MS021 and a Dolmar PS-420!

- http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/179262.htm (post #58)

. . .$24.00 + (10*5) = $74.00 (at most) About the cost of the starter kit. Plus, they're cutting with a sharp chain. Are my numbers right or wrong? About right?

Your numbers are close. Depends on where you buy stuff, if you find a sale, etc.

Price justification aside, Oregon is promoting it as a convenience feature. Not having to stop cutting to take the chain in and wait for it to be sharpened (if you only have one chain); not having to swap out a dull chain (if you carry multiple chains per saw - as I do with conventional chains); or not having to stop and file/grind/Dremel your chain (if it gets dull and you sharpen in the field).

It literally takes seconds to mount the cassette and sharpen the chain. If your time is valuable, or you don't want to interrupt your job, these chains can provide a specific advantage.

Philbert

Yeah, it is important to not confuse the battery-powered 'PowerNow' saw with the 'PowerSharp' chain, as w8ye notes.
I did try conventional 3/8 low profile chain on my Oregon 40V saw, and liked the PowerSharp better. But I liked the PowerSharp chain even more when I tried it on a STIHL MS021 and a Dolmar PS-420!

- http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/179262.htm (post #58)

Your numbers are close. Depends on where you buy stuff, if you find a sale, etc.

Price justification aside, Oregon is promoting it as a convenience feature. Not having to stop cutting to take the chain in and wait for it to be sharpened (if you only have one chain); not having to swap out a dull chain (if you carry multiple chains per saw - as I do with conventional chains); or not having to stop and file/grind/Dremel your chain (if it gets dull and you sharpen in the field).

It literally takes seconds to mount the cassette and sharpen the chain. If your time is valuable, or you don't want to interrupt your job, these chains can provide a specific advantage.

Philbert

the built in one on the battery saw does have one gotcha if it has built up crud on the stone it doesnt sharpen as well, so you have to get the cover off and wipe it clean, then sharpen. Still faster than filing though. The external ones look to be a better idea for most purposes.

Back