Please share your felling wisdom

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensonjv

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can you share some of the intangibles and learned-through-experience skills you have developed as a seasoned feller or professional? Assume your audience understands the basics of chainsaw safety and use as well as the basics of felling. Imagine the types of situations a farm and ranch or Joe-homeowner type might encounter. Storm damage, dead or diseased trees, clearing fence lines, clearing dead fall, etc. What types of information would you tell such a person to make them more safe and capable?

For example:
- How do you finesse a conventional notch and back cut to help a tree go in the direction you want?
- What are some safe techniques to felling a dead or diseased tree from within a healthy stand without climbing and without it getting hung up in the canopy?

Thanks.

For the intended audience, I'm going to say the best advice is to get a good rope, a couple blocks, and a throwball setup. For the quantity of trees you will be doing the time it takes to get a rope in the tree is well worth it in safety and predictability. Becoming proficient at most advanced felling techniques can literally take hundreds of drops, and most homeowners just don't get that opportunity.

Having the mechanical advantage of a rope set up in the tree, if properly used, can greatly simplify the falling process. Additionaly, if a tree does get hung up, having that rope already set can make it much easier and safer to get it on the ground. Jeff

IME

Mr. Murphy is everywhere of course, but he really, really likes to hang out in trees. The sounds and vibration generated by a chainsaw, or any other felling instrument for that matter, will wake him up PO'd big time, the more PO'd the more disastrous the outcome.

Take Care

How did I know that would take me to a post by HBRN? This one is for Randy...

HBRNToro.jpg

Can you share some of the intangibles and learned-through-experience skills you have developed as a seasoned feller or professional? Assume your audience understands the basics of chainsaw safety and use as well as the basics of felling. Imagine the types of situations a farm and ranch or Joe-homeowner type might encounter. Storm damage, dead or diseased trees, clearing fence lines, clearing dead fall, etc. What types of information would you tell such a person to make them more safe and capable?

For example:
- How do you finesse a conventional notch and back cut to help a tree go in the direction you want?
- What are some safe techniques to felling a dead or diseased tree from within a healthy stand without climbing and without it getting hung up in the canopy?

Thanks.

Okay, I had my nap. To start with, your question is broad enough to defy an easy answer. Falling trees is different with every tree. There are some basic rules that apply but there is no absolute guarantee that "if I do this, the tree will do that. It doesn't work that way. I wish it did.

Any idiot can cut down a tree with a chainsaw. There are some people on this forum and other forums that are living proof of that. If you stand there long enough and keep gnawing away at it the tree will fall over eventually. To fall a tree safely is another matter. It might fall sideways, it might fall back toward you, it might barber-chair, it might spin on the stump and trap your saw or even your hand between the saw and the tree, it might fall and pin you to the ground, it might hit other trees on the way down and send them right at you, it might catch the top and break it off to where it slingshots back toward you. There's also the thought that if you cut yourself bad enough with a saw you'll bleed out and die before anyone can help you. Most fatal injuries in the woods are crushing injuries and there are a thousand different things that can...and often do...go wrong. Anybody that says that they've never been hurt or never even had a close call when falling is either lying or they're so unaware of what's going on around them that they just don't see what's happening.

You need to start with some basic reading. Get two books, D. Douglas Dent's Procedural Guide and Jerry Beranek's Fundamentals. . I may not have the titles exactly right but if you Google them you can get more information. They're both available on Amazon and they contain a wealth of information. Both Dent and Beranek have the actual experience in the woods to back up what they write. They're both the real deal.

Read the books. I'm not a big fan of using book learning to replace actual hands on experience but you have to start somewhere. Ask questions here...but beware some of the answers. A lot of the guys on here are well meaning but basically clueless. If you ask your questions in the Forestry and Logging section you have a much better chance of getting helpful information. Most of the people there make their living cutting trees.
If you can find an experienced cutter to show you the basics...not a weekend warrior but somebody who really knows what they're doing...it might help.

And just for fun watch some YouTube videos about tree falling fails. Every one of them happened because somebody got in over his head and tried to work beyond the scope of his knowledge and skill level.

Please just find someone that speaks in complete sentences who knows tree felling to show you the ropes in person. Pay them $300 for a solid day with lots of time and discussion. I'll do it, but you'll have to pay a lot more, depending on how far up there you are in VA. But, I know how to keep you safe and get the job done. without ropes.

For example:

Thanks.

K no B.S.

You can finesse a convention notch the same as any other notch, gun the tree where you want it to fall, make the hold wood adjust for lean, as in cut more on the side with the lean, and less on the side away, causing a crooked hinge. Any other technique is just multiplying this effect.

Dead and rotten trees are a ****ing nightmare, best left to the pro's, that being said, fall em with the lean whenever possible, try not to pound wedges and keep an eye glued to the top. Dead trees can toss their tops back at you at the blink of an eye. Make sure you have very good escape paths 2-3 three good paths you can really run down, and clear space all the way around the base.

With any tree LOOK UP, before you even start the saw, look for dead loose limbs and tops, otherwise know as widowmakers, they can and will fall on you and maim/kill, keep looking up, the top is going to move long before any other part of the tree, watch yer cuts, but be aware of the top.

Do your best to judge actual lean, use a plumb bob or a straight handled axe, but get the lean and limb weights the best of your ability, 90% of the "tree fails" you see on YouTube are simply form misjudging the lean. And then not knowing how to fix a screw up when it starts.

Get some wedges, use them allways, stick em en the backcut as soon as there is room, I still do this even when I don't really need too. Only takes a second but it sure beets having one go backwards.

To avoid hang ups, sometimes its best to clear a path of healthy trees, to let the dead one go through, its not exactly good for the timber stand to be wacking down all the healthy living and marketable trees, but it sure makes things safer.

Clean out yer face cuts, any loose bits of knotch need to be removed, make sure the angle cut lines up with the gun cut, stop and chunk out if you have to, its best not to be chasing one cut and then the other eventually going past the point of no return and falling the tree from the face... or worse causing a barber chair. Cleaning out the cut is like cleaning the sights on a rifle of lint, that lint can cause your shot to go wild, same as leaving crud in the face. There are tricks involving placing stuff in the face, but those are advanced and beyond the scope of this post.

Above all take yer time, plan it out, visualize what you want to happen, when you get tired or feel that something is beyond your abilities walk away, better alive and wimpy then cocky and dead.

i can't add much, a couple these guys done hit on most of it.
just a couple points, line up your cuts. this is important and somthing most mess up on.......even me once in a while. also, open up your face. most of us southern guys don't put in a steep enough face. old habbits die hard so try not to start bad ones.
only other thing is run! from every dam one even if its a little one.

If you are not so skilled, or even if you are for that matter, If you can, always have someone close by, as in don't do it alone. Take your time, you are not production falling. speed comes with practice. stick with basic cuts, and wedges, don't try the trick cut thing to start out with. Listen to your gut and it's ok to walk away. (as long as you have not left a half cut tree or a hang up that could fall on someone)

I won't go into techniques as you said to assume the people had the basics of chainsaw use and falling.

The rest is... well..... experience. tens or hundreds of thousands of trees hitting the ground that teach you a lot more than you can put into a silly post.:dizzy:

Keep your chain sharp.
Stay away from windy days.
Unless you are good at reading trees, might want to have another saw handy for when you get yours stuck, or at least another bar and chain. An embarrassing moment I had early on was getting not one but two saws stuck in an 10 inch lodgepole.

Great posts guys! Too bad the op will never come back to post that he read them. Maybe you guys were just punked by HBRN?!

Typing on my phone...patience please. Waiting for enough daylight to start cutting. Massive doses of coffee.
Couldn't have been HBRN. No mis-spelled words, good sentence structure, good grammar, and the post actually made sense. Also no claims of heroic exploits.
Just another guy wanting some tips on falling. Be nice if he showed up and said thanks, tho.

Back