• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Plum tree with deer damage

2JHead

2JHead

I planted this plum tree last summer. It has been in the ground in my garden for almost exactly one year. I pruned it lightly in march to train it for a vase shape. This is my first go at fruit trees. Or any gardening even

This spring the tree ran into some deer damage. One of the 4 main branches on the tree got the bark eaten off of around half the circumference, at a length of around 5 inches:

As you can see, another branch has developed directly underneath the damaged branch.

I am hoping for some direction on how to handle this situation

Will the damaged branch heal?
Should I simply cut the damaged branch off?
If cut, should I do it now or wait untill winter?

Thanx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

White_Fang

White_Fang

ArboristSite Lurker
The damaged branch will certainly heal, but it will take more time, than to let the new replacement branch grow out (which is already growing and is positioned well in the crown of the tree). So, I think you should cut it off when the new branch hardens, so wait to the winter, and then cut it. Good luck.

NIP Group