ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Poulan thread

Discussion in 'Chainsaw Stickies' started by FATGUY, May 6, 2009.

1. Todd Loosli

Todd Loosli ArboristSite Guru

Have plenty of wood and a splitter that I built 45 years ago so I'm good. If you were just a little closer I'd split the cost of the ticket just to see you mate.

s sidewall and Jethro 2t sniffer like this.
  2. Jethro 2t sniffer

Jethro 2t sniffer Addicted to ArboristSite

Aww wow that's really cool Todd its handy being a building things type of guy. Really nice gesture there mate means alot:)

Todd Loosli likes this.
  3. s sidewall

s sidewall Addicted to ArboristSite

I've free handed, used bar mounted guides, hand held electric diamond sharpeners. Been using a bench mounted electric chain sharpener for four years now. I can keep all the cutters the same and keep the depth gauges at the optimal height also. Have dropped the depth gauge height one one chain to see how well it cut. Better have the dogs engaged into the wood with that one. It cuts like a mad man, just don't do limbing with it. It will snatch the saw out of your hand if ya don't watch it.

Steve

4. Jethro 2t sniffer

Cant really beat a grinder for consistency can ya no matter how good you are would you say a decent hand filled chain can still cut almost as well? I've had a few come from the shop and just not really impressed for the cost but... it's a huge dependence on who did it and bla bla you can spend as long as you like on a chain if its yours but the shop wants it done faster as time is money. Really should get my own grinder

Todd Loosli likes this.
  5. Todd Loosli

This is true, I don’t use the grinder very often and mostly when I get a screwed up chain it makes it easy to get a base line. I have always enjoyed free hand and the satisfaction of getting it right. Have shown a lot of people how to do it.

Jethro 2t sniffer likes this.
  6. s sidewall

s sidewall Addicted to ArboristSite

Occasionally I'll hand file in the woods but I take an extra saw and chain most of the time.

Steve

Todd Loosli likes this.
  7. Jethro 2t sniffer

Job satisfaction is a big thing for sure and when you sharpen a chain you get it repeatedly Haha awww nice tooth.... aww nice tooth and then wow that cuts well. Same for finishing a project or even just pulling off a nice weld or something. I think to really get the chain nice you have to be interested in it and understand what the angles are for and have a passion for performance and perfection. The people I've showed are not really into it and a chainsaw is work to them sharpening is a chore and takes too long. Miss information is hard to get out of them too like "so how many strokes?" till its sharp man each 1 is different each 1 is it's own thing and will take different amounts of material to bring back the edge...but oh man this takes forever..

I made this for in the field but needs longer stakes I just copied the cheapo ones. 20181206_185614.jpg 20181206_185716.jpg
    Heres some cutters theve had a dozen or more cuts so starting to show a reflection. Fairly new chain too only maybe 4 sharpenings so kind of cheating really but still can have a chain way out of whack by now though 20181206_190009.jpg 20181206_190020.jpg 20181206_190134.jpg

Heres some well used but plenty left yet semi now needs a smaller file am starting to loose hook and get into the driver a bit and probably should clean out the gullet better earlyer in its life too 20181206_192000.jpg 20181206_192116.jpg 20181206_192051.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Jethro 2t sniffer

Oh and heres how the spike turned out Todd thanks for the pattern 20181206_190236.jpg

More cutters now the top plate angles are looking a bit wonky cos the chrome peel hasn't been knocked off yet. Also starting to get a little to much hook. 20181206_193738.jpg 20181206_193754.jpg 20181206_193813.jpg 20181206_193828.jpg

Heres how this chain was cutting before this filing. No it's not a poulan please dont ban me it's not German or Chinese or swedish just imagine its green and it will be ok I promise.. hehe

Todd Loosli and 95custmz like this.
  9. redunshee

redunshee Addicted to ArboristSite

Yup. Top plate is a bit off. Maybe need to raise ur file a bit.

10. Jethro 2t sniffer

Thanks man will do

11. fossil

fossil Eh?

Has the compression on the 4000 come up any? I'd say f you're 140 psi or better you're there.

12. Jethro 2t sniffer

Yea it has a tad. Need to source a tester. It certainly doesn't dangle on its cord but not sure if there ever ment too eather

13. fossil

fossil Eh?

Mine's at 150 psi and it doesn't dangle on the cord either.

14. Jethro 2t sniffer

Ok that's good news then. It was hanging with my 700 if not a little stronger in the same wood so I'm happy

s sidewall likes this.
  15. fossil

fossil Eh?

It's running strong if it can hang with the 700.

16. Jethro 2t sniffer

Aww good then it shows a very different approach to the way the two make there power the 700 feels as tho it's got alot more compression it will hang on its cord for a bit so quite clever really the 4000 doesn't need a decomp. I guess it's just different porting. Have found how it likes to be started now choke no throttle lock 4 or 5 pulls it pops then add the lock no choke away it goes. I've noticed something funny with it when its quiet in the shed it whimpers and sighs lol took me ages to hunt down this odd noise and found it was coming from the poulan if you move it and shake the gas a bit it kinda pressurises a tiny bit and then leaks the air out over an hour or more

s sidewall, Todd Loosli and 95custmz like this.
  17. fossil

fossil Eh?

The fuel tank duckbills whine for awhile when you shut them down. They kind of keep you company.

18. Jethro 2t sniffer

Ah right it's the valve not the cap Haha funny thing. It's like a dog whining for a walk or a pat. Start me start me cumon please please.

fossil and Todd Loosli like this.
  19. Todd Loosli

Did you see the 5200 on ebay that went for 525.00. Any comments

hotshot and Acornhill like this.
  20. Jethro 2t sniffer

A pipe dream saw that is