Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the 8500 I have and was fortunate when I found it. I've added NOS parts to it when I find them and love running the saw. However, I couldn't justify spending that much for an 8500, or (nearly) any saw for that matter. I've only bought one new saw and that was a Stihl MS 310 years and years ago. That's one reason that I became so interested in saws: finding and fixing them, and upgrading saws/parts when I could because I can't justify spending large sums on saws to maintain property and heat my home. As I learned more I acquired larger cc saws: Poulan 8500, Homelite 550/750's, and an 8800. One thousand for an 8500? Can't see it.

I will say this, there are many different situations in the world, some folks pay $600 or more every month just for natural gas/ propane / oil or electric just to heat their house. Or a sawyer or tree company can make thousands of dollars using that $ 1000 saw in a month. Most saw collectors don’t even use their saws. Some of us do but I know many that do not. Goes back to anything is worth what you want for it or someone will pay for it at that moment. When I am dead all of my saws will be worth nothing. Zero to me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold this one for 500. I wouldnt pay that for myself for one though. But sell them in 400-500 range as runners if nicer. Used looking less.
Repainted I dont mess with unless priced right, as I rather see original paint and scuffs.

No repainting original paint.

Now a full wrap on these and the other series poulan IMO add 75-100. JMO

p8500o.jpg p8500ooooo.jpg p8500ooooooo.jpg p8500oooo.jpg p8500ooo.jpg

JJ, nice looking saws, both the Craftsman and the 8500. Patina is a good thing. I put a full wrap on mine, but love the padded wrap if you will that came on the 4000's and 8500's. Question: anyone know a good way to get the padded wrap off of a handle without damaging it? I'd really like to take the wrap of the 8500 handle and install it on another handle. Max.

Stephen, I totally agree with you. To each his own! Steve, I'll be in the same situation as you. Saws will be left behind, and guns will disappear to family and (possibly) close friends. My nephew (Manhattan, NY) won't be one of them as he marches to a different drummer. So does my (Upper NJ) niece. No interest in the family history, Navy, Army, mining, or heirlooms. No Family Traditions if you will. My mountain relatives are different though. Max.

On changing the wrap or taking it off get a small screw driver and work it under the wrap with some dawn soap on it. Keep working the soap under and twist back and forth carefully till you get it lose. Do both ends and don't stop. It will slide off or on . On is easier cuz you can soap it up before you put it on

I removed the oem rubber handle wrap on a 084 to use on a half wrap 084 handle. It was a mf'er. I used wd40 and alot of twisting. Right way I read was using air pressure back then somehow.

If the foam type grip I would be scared to try and remove one. They seem to just crumble.

JJ, nice looking saws, both the Craftsman and the 8500. Patina is a good thing. I put a full wrap on mine, but love the padded wrap if you will that came on the 4000's and 8500's. Question: anyone know a good way to get the padded wrap off of a handle without damaging it? I'd really like to take the wrap of the 8500 handle and install it on another handle. Max.

Why not just buy the new padded wrap? It has to be available somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more question since you were so quick on that one. What should be the crank end play on a 3700. And is it adjusted by the bearing location?

Back