Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with a 2900. I have a 2800, but I thought they had plain bore chrome piston.

Steve Sidwell
Yeah, I don't know. Was reading some old posts and was thinkin one of the experts, ModifiedMark, was saying that the 2800 was a chrome bore and a made in Sweden Husky crank. But it might've been someone less knowledgeable. And that might not include the 2900.

I believe my 3500 has the chrome piston, but the Poulan Pro version of that saw has a chrome cylinder.

Anyway....I was just thinkin of unloading six hundred or so bucks worth of 42 to 50cc saws and just goin back for the 2900 and rollin with it.
Kinda funky lookin, but pretty good ergos and only 10 pounds. Plus I have my collection of 60cc Poulans if I ever need to start cuttin a bunch of firewood.

Nothing wrong with a 2900. I have a 2800, but I thought they had plain bore chrome piston.

Steve Sidwell
I just realized that the 2800 and 2900 look like completely different saws, and that the 2900 is a clamshell.
The 2800 looks more like the 3500.

Here's the post that I was talking about. It apparently was a speculation that the 2900 should have a chrome bore because the 2500 had one.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-2900-specs.150476/

My Craftsman/Poulan 2800. Need to work on a fuel issue with that when ever I make some time. She's done cut many loads of fire wood over the years. Got her new back in the 80's.
ce54c404bbefe9fcde7ea31bb33d4858.jpg
1f6c64622e5e76a9714a441894738792.jpg

Steve Sidwell

I don't know. I haven't taken the 3500 apart. But looking through the exhaust port, the piston looked different than on any of my other saws.

I have one here that I did a bunch of work on. I had dropped the cylinder so was able to see it apart.
010.JPG

I just realized that the 2800 and 2900 look like completely different saws, and that the 2900 is a clamshell.
The 2800 looks more like the 3500.

Here's the post that I was talking about. It apparently was a speculation that the 2900 should have a chrome bore because the 2500 had one.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-2900-specs.150476/
The 2800, 3000 and 3300 share the same case, similar to the 3400 thru 4000 series. There is also a 2700 that is not a clamshell, exactly like the 2800. The PP 305 is the same as the 3000 with different plating.

I've been through that saw Mr Todd, and also repainted the cases and covers. It was looking dull with some paint missing here and there. Haven't run her in 7 years now, that's why I said I need to make some time but it won't be this weekend. Heading back to North Carolina and Tennessee to see the fall leaves.

Steve Sidwell

@Modifiedmark Here are some additional photos of the 53A.

20191108_210338.jpg

20191108_210345.jpg

20191108_210353.jpg

20191108_210356.jpg

As you can see its all there, except for the choke button/linkage. But I will make something on the lathe to replace that properly.

I got it all torn apart and cleaned yesterday. Took me a while to figure out how to get the carb and airbox apart using a normal wrench. Underneath all the grime there was an engraved name of a rental agency from big bear lake in California. The saw must have been in their rental fleet at one point.

Do you happen to know what size the crank seals in the sandcast saws are? I believe there are 2 on the oil pump side. Didn't get the pump pulled apart but everything moves the way it should and the plunger in the case pumps oil.

@Modifiedmark Here are some additional photos of the 53A.

View attachment 772298

View attachment 772299

View attachment 772300

View attachment 772301

As you can see its all there, except for the choke button/linkage. But I will make something on the lathe to replace that properly.

I got it all torn apart and cleaned yesterday. Took me a while to figure out how to get the carb and airbox apart using a normal wrench. Underneath all the grime there was an engraved name of a rental agency from big bear lake in California. The saw must have been in their rental fleet at one point.

Do you happen to know what size the crank seals in the sandcast saws are? I believe there are 2 on the oil pump side. Didn't get the pump pulled apart but everything moves the way it should and the plunger in the case pumps oil.

That looks like it will clean up well.

As for the seals, I know the FW side is a Dichtomatik 068091VM. The clutch side I don't have listed for a replacement as at the time (long ago) I put the seals in my 71A (same seals as the 53A) I had not started keeping track of them yet.

I don't remember any particular problems matching that seal up though, it was pretty standard and it only uses one seal. Just pull it out, measure the seal bore in the case, the crank dia and how thick the seal is. If you have problems, deciphering it, post the measurements here and one of us will cross it for you.

Steve Sidwell
I'll probably go back and get the 2900 if it's still there when I get around that way.
It'd be my most modern Poulan, and the only one with a chain brake.
Plenty light enough, and I can't seem to love the angled handle on the Husky 545 like so many do.
Plus I got my ten dollar backup Bluemax 45cc.

Latest posts

Back