Rotary Chain Grinders - Dremel, Granberg, etc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have not been a big fan of rotary chain grinders, partially due to the stone wear. But the 12 Volt ones do seem like they could be convenient in the field. And Grande Dog at LeftCoastSupplies mentioned some new stones that will hold up a lot longer.

So I am interested to hear from guys who have used these quite a bit, which are the better grinders:

- Granberg Grind-N-Joint (a few different models - *shown doing depth gauges in photo below):
http://granberg.com/catalog/12-volt-chainsaw-sharpeners/electric-chain-saw-sharpeners-12-volt
Screen shot 2015-10-08 at 4.38.36 PM.png

- Oregon Sure Sharp (I like the cigarette lighter attachment):
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/accessories/ElectricSureSharp.htm
Screen shot 2015-10-08 at 4.41.20 PM.png

- STIHL 12V grinder (discontinued? looks like it was made by Granberg?)

- NT, Timbertuff, etc. rotary grinders (look like Oregon copies?)

- Dremel attachment (can be used on 110 or battery powered tools):
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachments/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=A679-02
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/custome...ages/FAQDetail.aspx?prod=Chain Saw Sharpening

Screen shot 2015-10-08 at 4.44.31 PM.png

Philbert

Did one tool hold up better for you? Reviews on Amazon, etc. are mixed on quality.

I understand that the Granberg tools actually have a small belt drive, while some others are direct driven motor shafts. Is one model better?

The Oregon, Granberg, and Dremel models each have different types of guides - one better? Problems with any of these fitting certain chains (e.g. working around low-kickback bumpers)?

How about threaded stones (Granberg and STIHL) versus smooth shaft stones (Oregon and everyone else)?

Thanks!

Philbert

Note: here is a link to a related thread, found after I started this one, but the grinders are not discussed:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/who-sharpens-chain-with-rotary-tool.275711/

I have two of the old craftsman grinders, 1 12 volt and 1 110 ac. Stone wear can be a deterrent but I have found the diamond stones hold up well. I mainly use them on chains that have hit metal and or rocks. These grinders are metal and very good quality.

I too would like to hear more about these grinders. One of those in the truck could really help you out in a pinch.

'IF' I was to get a H/held rotary grinder, I would take a look at the rechargable units. Bailey's and a number of sponsers sell them. Dremel also has an attachment for chain grinding and also offer a battery model. l have used a granberg and found the stones wear quite fast. Remember the stones come with threaded ends and also solid round ends in 1\8", so a variable speed die grinder could work in a pinch. Like most sharpening devices, the operator has a lot to do with the end result.

l have used a granberg and found the stones wear quite fast.

That was my concern as well. Grande Dog indicated (in another thread) that these new stones would be ABN coated steel - like the coated, but expensive, grinding 'wheels' folks have been speaking highly of in grinder threads. At $20 a piece, they would still be expensive, compared to Dremel stones, but still affordable.

. . . a variable speed die grinder could work in a pinch.
Good point - I did not think of my pneumatic grinder!

Like most sharpening devices, the operator has a lot to do with the end result.

YES! You can give any of these tools to a monkey (no offense Mastermind), and end up with lot of dust. The tools don't do it by themselves!

Philbert

Saw a new version of the Oregon tool recently at Lowes. New, contoured shape. New part number.

More importantly, faster speed, which should improve performance.

image.jpeg

Sorry for the poor photo.

Philbert

I use a dremel with their brand stone. Works pretty good and has lasted about 10 chains so far. I find quickly filing the flat on top of each tooth removes the burr and gets em sharper.

I've been looking hard at this Granberg model for a while now: http://granberg.com/product/g1012xt-precision-grinder
I like the solid-looking mounting system and the ability to dial in the stops like on a disc grinder. I know if I tried to use a Dremel unguided I would end up with an even bigger mess than I get hand-filing.
This is the grinder I bought. Haven't used it much but it works great. I would recommend buying the cool grind because I think it keeps the tooth cooler and extra stones because I've read they don't last long.

I have had a couple of them over the years, but even with the diamond they seem not to do as good as a file..

I recently bought a Stihl sharpener so they are still sold and yes, they look a lot like the Granberg. I too am dismayed at how long the stones last but I really only use them on 3/8P chains so I don't have to change out wheels on my chain grinder.

For years, all I ever used was the Stihl grinder to sharpen the saws for a golf course that got occasional use. I would sharpen around 3 chains per week. Once you get the hang of it works pretty well. I would freehand them mostly since the guide generally got in my way more than it helped. We did not have a chain grinder though and we had a bunch of hacks operating the saws so they got rocked quite a bit. Just threw out the chain and got a new one. No rotary tool can repair a rocked chain without some serious input. I know that is not the point of this thread though.

Moving on, I have recently begun chainsaw milling. I use a file to sharpen every few passes and I can say, I do not miss the rotary tool. I got so good with the file that I think I can use that faster than the rotary. HOWEVER, the rotary could have an advantage with the saw still on the milling jig since there is sometimes not enough room to maneuver a file if the jig is set at certain heights. My way around this is to flip the whole thing upside down and file on the bottom side of the bar. Something Im sure chainsaw millers around the globe have figured out. The file is indispensable as I am sure many of you know but in my OWN personal opinion, the rotary tools do not have a place in my sharpening arsenal. A file and a chain grinder have been perfect for me for years of cutting tool maintenance.

Economically, I am not so sure which makes more sense. The die grinders and the files do the same job but do the cost of the files that wear outweigh the cost of the rotary tool and stones? Files can be taken with you remotely quite easily along with your chainsaw and mill if that is what you are doing. No need for a car or battery nearby. I have firsthand experience milling logs behind my house. It is only 200 feet away from the house but it is inaccessible to a vehicle and I don't have enough extension cords to make it that far. Once again, I know this was not the point of this thread to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of various sharpening methods. That has already been done ad nauseum.

Everyone has to find something that works for them.

If you like the rotary tools, check out the ABN stones noted a few posts above. The do not wearing practical sense.

There are also battery operated Dremel tools, which could be an option where 120V power or vehicle access is an issue. Or onsider strapping a car / motorcycle / lawn tractor battery to s small cart (we used to run sprayers this way).

Philbert

Latest posts

Back