Russian Furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Lvovs_furnace_design_1793.jpg Stopped by at a newly minted friend's house yesterday and saw their Russian Furnace. The post and beam house was built around this central feature. It was seriously impressive. Load it once a day with 3-4' lengths, burn it wide open down to coals, then shut it down. That's it. Multiple baffles distribute the heat equally. Dig out ashes once a month. Heats house with 5 cords. Never a need to ever have to worry about snaking a wire brush down it. She stays clean.

Nearly identical to the image below, sans the open post and beam built around it .

russian-furnace.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! What's it like to split, stack, carry, and load 4' logs in through that little door?
Can't answer that question. This furnace is run by a couple in their mid 60s and they have no problem tending it. Looked like they stored and handled pole wood, not big splits. They have 90+ acres so they cut what they need and can handle. It's all about mass thermal storage. Simple and efficient physics 101 concept.

Pretty cool concept . Cant say that the big wood would be too kind on the body ! Maybe compared to constantly feeding a woodstove or OWB .....it wouldnt be as bad loading in some heavy stuff once a day !

Not just a Russian concept. There are specialized masons in Austria, building same sort of massive tile stoves. Needless to say, it's hard to do a rework on the internal flues.

Not just a Russian concept. There are specialized masons in Austria, building same sort of massive tile stoves. Needless to say, it's hard to do a rework on the internal flues.
Well, I've see one in operation in NW Vermont just yesterday. They are alive and well in my neck of the woods. They are more well known in areas of the Northern US than CT and parts south. Population areas with Scandinavians and other hearty peoples know how to keep warm in cold climates.

New home I inspected here in town has a similar unit installed, as the Building inspector I made a lot of visits to see it being constructed and the design was amazing. They load it once with about a wheelbarrow load of small dry splits and touch it off and that's it for the day. When it's below zero the propane boiler kicks in occasionally. It also has a pizza oven on the opposite side above the firebox.

Check out http://www.mha-net.org/

Back