small tree least likely to buckle sidewalk?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triktor4411

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I read a few threads about this on other sites, and people suggested maples but that's what already eventually caused sidewalk to buckle and town chopped down the trees and re-do the sidewalk. but the town replanted what looks to be Maples in spots they repaired.

What is a low-growing but dense-leafed tree that, if height is maintained to about 20 feet max (don't want it in the powerlines) is least likely to buckle the sidewalk in a strip of grass about 3 feet wide between the street and sidewalk? For nj zone 6-7.

there is an approved-only list of plants and I will check that. I will also see if the town will plant these for free since that strip is technically theirs but want to make sure get the best tree option first thanks

Most sidewalks buckle because they are built two very low standards. For instance did the city compact the soil to proper standards before installing the new sidewalk? Most likely not. You cannot expect 3 in of non rebared cement to not crack even when there are no trees around.

Three feet between the sidewalk and curb? Twenty feet to the power lines?
I think I'd be seriously thinking about ornamental shrubs, not trees. Korean Spice and/or Cayuga Viburnums have a tree-like main stem and don't spread all over the place like lilacs do. Unbelievably aromatic when they flower.

Back