SP81 Cylinder and Piston. Smoked?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If banging it out ruined the cylinder then it wasn’t much of a tip. Damage was likely already done since you said you could spin it.

Some saws just seem to be cursed. I have one. Seriously you likely had a bad piston.

Ron

LRB pistons for the 82 cc saws are highly suspect. If you use the wrist pin that came with the piston they literally fall out of the connecting rod and there are no circlips to hold it in place. I know for myself and another AS member that the ring grooves were not cut deep enough and the pistons would not even go into the bore until the I.D. of the rings was reduced. Sorry for your loss, but I suspect the LRB piston is likely responsible.

Mark

The more I think about how my saw came to an abrupt and sudden stop the more I think the small screw wiggled loose and came into the cylinder via a port.

Can anyone identify that small screw? It is a tiny allen head

Attachments

• IMG_20180922_105137.jpg
    IMG_20180922_105137.jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 20
I sometimes i hate to see a aftermarket piston being blamed for the damage when its obvious and stated that a screw went through the engine. I know some have had bad luck with little red barn/performance saw supply aka LRB/PSS but i feel that alot of the parts they offer are of higher quality then alot of the other offerings. They even make a dimensionally accurate 242 piston and cylinder as well as reproducing the nla 242 crank bearings now. We have to suppoet the guys that are going out on a limb reproducing nla parts for such iconic saws as the 242. They are also making 2100 pistons and soon to have cylinders too. I have no connection to them but they seem to offer good products and stand behind them. I have had no issue with getting them to make a transaction correct so i was happy. I see some mention unusuable parts but i have not had that happen. Ive had shipping damage and incorrect parts sent but no un useable stuff yet. The 262 top end kit i got was a exact copy of a ks jug port timing was within 1 degree on all ports squish was exactly the same as oem and port shape was very nice and nearly identical in shape and direction. I know i may somehow have always gotten the cream of the crop but i have yet to see low quality anything come from them. Only gripe i have is that the jugs are heavier.... Not much but it appears to be from the cooling fins being thicker (non issue) so lets all be fair and honest in the comments we make.

Several folks who are fair and honest have had similar problems with the pistons and wrist pins they sell for the 82cc MACs. Can’t speak from personal experience, but I can vouch for the reputations of some reporting problems with this particular product.

Ron

If there is a issue with the 82 cc mac piston has amyone contacted them so it can be corrected? Im quite sure they dont want to sell a useless piston to people that is going to fail and cause major damage to saws.

If there is a issue with the 82 cc mac piston has amyone contacted them so it can be corrected? Im quite sure they dont want to sell a useless piston to people that is going to fail and cause major damage to saws.

You’ll get no argument from me. Most I deal with want to do the right thing. Ron

Back