splitting with a maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterBoy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hi guys dose wood split easier in the winter when it's cold?

i have a 6 pound maul and i'm telling you this new oak and maple i just cut is a dam pain to split it's been warm here for a few weeks. but it takes me 6 whacks or more just to get it to split in half

it's dam hard work thank god i am helping my tree Buddie because he is lending me his log splitter.:bowdown:

but if this was in the cold of winter would the wood split easier with the maul?

thanks
Jason

It could be twisted. Poplar tends to do it more than oak, but it's still possible. At any rate, it's time to whip out the wedges and 8lb hammer, or 16lb seldge, whichever you prefer:) The wood grenade wedge does a real job. I got one this past winter and I'm very well satisfied with it.

Wood does split better in the cold. However, the wood will season better for next fall if it is split now.
I was afraid a 6LB maul would be too light to split for you. If it isn't too late, take it back and get your money back or exchange it for the heaviest maul they sell.
I would only use a 6LB maul to split small chunks of wood that are less than 12 inches in length. You need some weight behind that swing.
Oak is tough to split because it is dense and fiberous. You are lucky you don't have hornbeam....your body would be lifting off the ground if you hit hornbeam with a 6LB maul!!!!
I split 2 face cords of that stuff with a manually operated hydraulic splitter last month and it was very, very tough.
Maple is very easy to split, but your chunks are large and maul not heavy enough.

Yes and no. Some wood splits better seasoned. Some wood splits better green. The winter months are nice for splitting because any moisture in the wood will be frozen and make things easier to split. There is also less perspiration involved during the colder months :)

I just split three face cords of Ash this afternoon. It was cut last weekend. I use an 8 lb maul for most of my splitting. I have a 5 pound maul with some funky head on it to help split it apart easier, but it takes a good 4-5 wacks whereas the 8lb maul will take one or two. I have been looking locally for a monster maul for the next batch of red oak I run into.

-Steve

Back