steel used in woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilerhouse47

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi folks, I have an old woodstove that has a air deflector plate (this is my term for it) on the inside. The plate sits over the fire and causes the heat from burning to travel in a S pattern, from over the fire to the front and then toward the rear of the stove before it exits via the stack. Over the years it has warped and the leading edge has a dip in it. I have pressed the warps out of it a couple of times with a hydraulic jack and now I want to replace it. The plate just sits on some angle iron and is removable. My question is, does it need to be made from any special type of steel to help it keep from warping?
Thanks for any and all replies.
Carl

The smoke shelf in my franklin stove was made out of cast iron. Had to replace it after about 15 years. Cut one out of stainless steel about 1/8" thick and welded some reinforcing on the back side. It lasted about 10 years. Mild steel wouldn't last very long in my stove.

BIG W, do you find that anti-warping steel right next to the non-melting ice cream!!!!
Carl:jester:

I have the same problem. I have a 1500 hotblast wood furnace thats around 20 years old with the original flame baffle. I am going to remove the original supports, and weld some angle iron and cut a piece of 1/4 mild steel. All of the stuff there is warped, I figure 1/4 is good enough. Better than whats there now.

I had that non melting icecream once.

Tasty but it was a b1tch to eat.

Boiler, whats the chance you could score some boiler plate?

I have a Quadrafire stove and their made entirely of welded boiler plate.

RBW, I work in a boiler house at a refinery. There is a real good chance of getting some boiler plate! I will see if they have the thickness to match what I have. I believe it is about 3/8", will check in the morning. I must be getting old I forgot about the steel we have laying around the unit.
Thanks to everyone.

:cheers: Carl

Boiler Plate wouldnt be the best idea, It doesnt see as much heat as your non boiler wood stove will do. I think your best bet would be go down to you ALRO steel dealer and get a piece from him. They know there Sh1t.
But would love to get lots of boiler plate cheap.

MS-310 what type of steel would you recommend for this flame baffle? Is ALRO a type of steel or is that a company name? I have been an boiler operator for the better part of 35 years, but I have never payed much attention to the kinds of steel they use in the fire box of our boilers. ( 600 PSI superheated steam, 2 gas and one coal fired.)
Raisedbywolves is there any chance you worked as a boiler maker? Over the years we have used Oldman Boiler out of Buffalo, N.Y. and Nicholson & Hall locally.
Carl

boilerhouse47 said:
MS-310 what type of steel would you recommend for this flame baffle? Is ALRO a type of steel or is that a company name? I have been an boiler operator for the better part of 35 years, but I have never payed much attention to the kinds of steel they use in the fire box of our boilers. ( 600 PSI superheated steam, 2 gas and one coal fired.)
Raisedbywolves is there any chance you worked as a boiler maker? Over the years we have used Oldman Boiler out of Buffalo, N.Y. and Nicholson & Hall locally.
Carl

I would like to tell you the numbers of what steel to use but I really cant tell you. Alro is a company that deals with my company with boiler plate and also some 4340 steel, think about 4340 it would work really well. Go to www.alro.com they should help you out.

Back