Stihl PL-40 loppers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to cut the medium size stuff round the house, make a brush pile and then use the loppers on the twiggy stuff. That is much easier for me than a small saw. Corona makes a large 3 inch lopper that works great on 2+ inch stuff.

View attachment 615143 I keep a small saw gassed and ready, but I live virtually under a tree. My saw gets used at least once a week, so stale fuel is not a concern. I’ve seen your yard in previous posts, the loppers are a better option in your case.

I'm liking that tree deck you have there. :rock2:

I really like the Fiskars stuff. Good quality and reasonable prices. Also easy to find.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I really like the Fiskars stuff. Good quality and reasonable prices. Also easy to find.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I ended up buying some Corona Loppers. They are 30" overall length and good for branches up to 1.5 inches.

They weigh 3.4 lbs. and the handles are steel trapezoid shaped. The grips are padded rubber and very comfy. They feel very natural in my hands and are very robust.

I just couldn't see paying upwards of $100.00 or more for loppers. Replacement jaws / parts are readily available. I got them for under $25.00 out the door.

They should serve me well for many years to come.

cg_sl_3264_2.jpg

I ended up buying some Corona Loppers. They are 30" overall length and good for branches up to 1.5 inches.

They weigh 3.4 lbs. and the handles are steel trapezoid shaped. The grips are padded rubber and very comfy. They feel very natural in my hands and are very robust.

I just couldn't see paying upwards of $100.00 or more for loppers. Replacement jaws / parts are readily available. I got them for under $25.00 out the door.

They should serve me well for many years to come.

cg_sl_3264_2.jpg
Corona is good stuff and for cheap. Most of it is forged steel. I've found my Corona clippers are just as good as the fancy Felco pruning shears. And my folding Corona hand saw cut better than my expensive Silky. Most of the time you get what you pay for by I've found Corona hard to beat at any price.

Are they were the price of admission ($99.00)?

Anyone have a pair and what do you think of them? I'm looking to buy a pair and I'm not sure I want to spend $100.00 for some.

pl40.png
YES, they are worth it. After cycling through many loppers at $20-$50, I decided to treat myself to these. SO VERY WORTH it! And I may even splurge a second time since mine seem to have taken a walk. If you decide to buy, don't let them out of your site! (And hide them from your husband who has a problem returning them from the woods!)

Corona is good stuff and for cheap. Most of it is forged steel. I've found my Corona clippers are just as good as the fancy Felco pruning shears. And my folding Corona hand saw cut better than my expensive Silky. Most of the time you get what you pay for by I've found Corona hard to beat at any price.
Agreed. I bought a pair of Corona FL-3470 compound loppers for under $38 on eBay. Extendable fiberglass handles and a replaceable blade. My wife has had a pair of their compound pruning shears for years.

Back