Termites in milled slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCoffin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I milled a birch that I knew was rotten in the center. But turns out the rot is termite damage. I was able to get 2 really nice slabs off of them but there are a few lingering termites in the slabs. I transferred them inside a garage where my other slabs are drying, and a thinking about spraying some insecticide on them to kill any remainders in there. Wondering what could be any negative effects from not dealing with them? They’re stickered and sitting on concrete, the other slabs have been drying for a year or two so not much wood that would be attractive to them that I’d think.

You can spray them or just get a bit of heat going.
If you removed most of the rot/moisture laden wood.... the termite larvae will die off.

That larvae needs moisture and dies quickly as you remove bark and wet wood ....the wood dries out the larvae die.
Never hurts to spray a borax solution though.

vinegar will also kill termites. Borax is probably more effective and just as safe for interior applications. I have a concrete paver floor in my converted garage to workshop. I spray a warmed up borax/vinegar solution in the joints every summer since the year when termites came through the a paver joint and got into a box of engineered wood flooring I had lying on the floor. No problems since.

They can tunnel through any tiny crack in the concrete - watch expansion joints.

Should be easy to get rid of your guests.

Back