The best bit for porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Taylor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I need to find some bits that will hold up for a decent amount of time to port some cylinders any recommendations??

These carbine cutters don’t seem to cake up with material. If they did a tad of kerosene or light oil will keep them clean. I ported three cylinders and there still sharp.

Get a split mandrel and use whatever sand paper you can get your hands on. Those barrel type aren’t what you want.

Cut strips of paper and you’re good to go. Start with 80 and work your way up to 500 or so. Intake only needs 80 grit. Doesn’t take long at all.
F6E90C4D-1E9F-47D2-9EBD-EA2EB8A63561.png F7CCBB80-8293-4518-98A8-FF86EAE741A2.jpeg B63626EE-B8F2-4751-B48E-0680E1F58FB8.jpeg

I do most of the porting with the 1/8” shank carbide cutters. Then I smooth it all out with the drum sanding barrels. Then I go with the simi chrome polish on the buffing wheels.

I prefer to use 1/4" carbide cutters of various shapes,then finish off with sandpaper rolls of various grit. Be careful sanding,you can quickly move a port another 1mm or more before you realise it. I always grind my ports less than to specs,then smooth the ports to specs.

Lotsa oil on the carbide bit when cutting,stop frequently and wirebrush any aluminum stuck in,you may have to do it a lot. If you don't keep the bit unclogged it will quickly plug up with aluminum,which will "chew up" and not cut the port cleanly.

Lotsa oil on the carbide bit when cutting,stop frequently and wirebrush any aluminum stuck in,you may have to do it a lot. If you don't keep the bit unclogged it will quickly plug up with aluminum,which will "chew up" and not cut the port cleanly.
Thanks for more good tips

I dunno,with E-Bay and cheap stuff today can't you buy those bits cheap,I sometimes paid $25 to $30 for a bit in the old days,I paid $200 for a set of 8 (Which are still sharp)
When cutting aluminum which is soft,if the bit is any kind of good steel it should cut and last.
The oil you spray while cutting really matters,use whatever "Witches Brew" you believe in.

Back