ArboristSite.com Sponsors

There's no money in selling firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by dhamblet, Jan 6, 2010.

1. cantoo

cantoo Addicted to ArboristSite

Wood Doctor, we sell the wood to the park for the same price as winter heating wood. Only time we charge a little more is if someone buys a load and wants us to dump part of it at 2 or 3 different spots. We don't sell a lot but it's nice to make a few extra bucks before long weekends in the summer. I do split summer wood a little smaller but with my setup it doesn't take much more time splitting. We have gotten a few winter wood customers from the camp grounds too.

2. Cody

Cody ArboristSite Guru

I've been contemplating this the last year or two, because I have just a regular box store type splitter so it does take me more time to split it small. I'm selling quality campfire wood though, and just settle on the $60 for a face cord. Either way it's the same work, and I still have to get the wood, whether it's a lesser quality or not. There's a guy that asked me to split wood for his smoker, with a firebox that's 14x18 by foot tall or so. I told him what a load of oak wood goes for, and that having to cut pieces 1' long, and then to split them to 2x4 size pieces or smaller, that it was going to be more work/time for me so I'd have to charge more. For some damn reason, he thinks I should charge less. Did I mention he wants little to no bark? I told him just use those pieces to get a fire started.

Wood Doctor and farmer steve like this.
  3. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

I've posted this before but my best money maker is selling in these bins. 1/4 cord +/- per bin. customer picks up. $60. dry,ready to burn. i try to keep my handling of wood to 4 times. a bin is the same amount as the rack of wood in the background.
    20160202_150058_resized.jpg

4. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

Steve, I can make more money making bird and squirrel feeders out of those old crates, than I could make with the firewood in them. The artsy folks out of D.C. and Baltimore love them. Only problem, there is only so much distressed fence boards and siding out there, and it takes 30-50 years for it season right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KiwiBro, Wood Doctor and farmer steve like this.
  5. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

i have tons of old barnwood stored in my barn Joe. i'm a hoarder. :laugh:

6. muddstopper

muddstopper Addicted to ArboristSite

Aint them barnwood builders you see on TV some where in Virgina. You might want to look them up, watching them on tv, they go for the old logs and trash most of the boards. A road trip with a pickup truck and a trailer and you might get all the boards you ever need.

farmer steve and rarefish383 like this.
  7. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I used to watch one of the log cabin guys on cable, I think they were based in WV. I get 1"X 6" Oak fence boards. I have a farmer friend that's slowly replacing the fences around 300 acres. So, for the foreseeable future I'm OK. I made some doors for a friend, two big sliders that make a set and two smaller sliders for single doors. I figured I had just about 60 8' boards in the doors. The big ones were 120 pounds each. The fresh cut 16 footers cost my farmer friend $8 each if she buys 100 at a time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Guswhit, KiwiBro and farmer steve like this.