"Thermal mass" - Storing heat...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cast Iron

I have several 100# iron tractor weights, would these work for the thermal mass concept? you know lay them up against or on top of the wood burner? sorry to interrupt the log home conversation :hmm3grin2orange:

Not very well

I have several 100# iron tractor weights, would these work for the thermal mass concept? you know lay them up against or on top of the wood burner? sorry to interrupt the log home conversation :hmm3grin2orange:

The problem with any thermal mass heat is how to get it hot, and then how to control the heat release. Stone and water tanks heat rather slowly, but they also retain the heat for a long time due to low thermal conductivity.

Big iron weights would hold massive amounts of heat, but they would cool off almost as quickly as the stove. Try stacking a bunch of rocks on top of it.

Good point...That never dawned on me but I believe you're right!

now im picturing the rocks....and the look on the wife's face!:jawdrop:

:cheers:

Be careful of the total weight you are placing on the floor if it is not a concrete floor! (If you have a basement or crawl space.)

I have a 450 lb. wood stove plus two 50 gallon water tanks at around 500 lbs each. So approaching the weight of a small car on my living room floor!

(I have added piers and supports under all this in the crawl space...)

Be careful of the total weight you are placing on the floor if it is not a concrete floor! (If you have a basement or crawl space.)

I have a 450 lb. wood stove plus two 50 gallon water tanks at around 500 lbs each. So approaching the weight of a small car on my living room floor!

(I have added piers and supports under all this in the crawl space...)

Plumb them together with a small pump, add an old car radiator over the stove, give it an electric fan, and then you have an on demand heat sink that will recharge at a rapid rate while improving the circulation in the room.

Turn on the pump and fan when the stove is going to heat the tanks up REAL toasty. Put a thermostat on it, and then it will cycle to heat the room when the temperature drops. Insulate the tanks for better results.

"Thermal mass" -Storing heat

How would an old cast iron radiator filled with water and plugged placed next to a stove work? Seems like a logical mass to heat.

How would an old cast iron radiator filled with water and plugged placed next to a stove work? Seems like a logical mass to heat.

Be careful! Fluid expands with heat. Water boils and turns to steam at 212 degrees. Steam can make a closed (plugged) tank explode!

So best to have an expansion tank and a pressure relief valve like those found on water heaters.

I read about hot water heater tanks exploding, going through the roof, and landing on a neighbor's house...

Steam occupies about 1,600 times the volume of liquid water...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam

Back