Tillotson HL Carb Rebuild w/pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!

Thanks a bunch for putting that together. I was about to ask someone some Tilly questions myself. That my friend is what makes this site so great!! One question I do have is ..."What tricks do you have to adjust that carb once you get it Running?" I have a 1-40 McCulloch, and I can get her running great, but she's a little hesitante when I demand some high end tourque from her. Any suggestions?
Great site
Drew

Nice work Gary. This is an excellent guide for someone doing one of those carbs. I have edited photos like that, so I appreciate the effort you put into this thread.........................100 times more effort than the actual rebuild.

I'm outta bullets for Gary too...................somebody hit this guy with rep please.:help:

Believe it or not Rexy... I have seriously thought about it. :)

Going through a bunch of common small engine carbs (2 and 4 stroke) and just showing basic rebuild procedures.

I also do High Performance Holley 4bbl stuff too... carbs have always been my forte`.

I'd buy your book on Holleys. Very few books I've read are that detailed. That's almost as good as being there in person.

Outstanding post! Thanks for taking the time too edit and post it all Gary.

Good idea on the metering lever. I would never of thought too use the old one due too the fork on the new one looking like it spears the end of the pin. I guess the new and old pins were just the same length. :cheers:

The old levers almost always rode "on top" of the needle. The newer kits had you "spear" the needle in the groove on top. So you always had to readjust the new needle and lever. I tried using the old levers a few times with new needles riding "on top" and 99.99999% of the time the lever is in the exact same spot. So it saved a lot of hassle.

So if you ever do use the new lever with a new needle... make sure you bend the lever to make the correct height.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words. Like was said earlier by someone... "This is what this site is all about." That sums it up for me. I've been here a long time and just want to do my part... :) :) :)

It's not all about "oil threads" and brand wars... :laugh:

Gary

Last edited:
Great Post

I will be working on my old Zip soon, and this is one of the best "how to" posts that I have ever seen. Thanks to Brads thread I found this. As to the you should write a book, I vote yes. This is excellent work. If it is understandable to me, ANYONE can get it. Sending rep. JR

Great pic's and post:clap: I see your waring gloves the little ladies Idea? I know I ware gloves allot more now keeps the finger nails clean it matters to them lol I don't get heck any more.

Nice work. Just curious about the gloves. Do you always use them?

Or just on fuel/oil jobs?

Great pic's and post:clap: I see your waring gloves the little ladies Idea? I know I ware gloves allot more now keeps the finger nails clean it matters to them lol I don't get heck any more.

Yep, and Yep...

I never used to... but it is a loy nicer to be able to not have cud under the ol' fingernails, and have your hands smell like solvents or gasoline for 3 days...

Plus the girlie does appreciate it too... :)

Gary

At one of the later Stihl dealerships I worked at, the dist. rep. brought a
video representation of correct carb procedure on the new style trimmers,
and the "tech" in the video was wearing thick gloves, and I was joking
about wanting to see him rebuild the carb with those, and the dist. rep.
was pissed off.

Actually, I like rubber gloves when working on a nasty mower trans.

When I first started working on stuff, I was working in the pizza industry
during the evening hours,
and me "hand tossing" the dough kept my fingernails clean from all of the
grease and grime.

Keep away from "Little C well
never mind, I don't want any more corporate troubles

Fantastic!!! Gary

Great post. Hope the book comes soon!

You should get a lot of rep for it.

7sleeper

i am glad this got brought back up, it was very cleanly done and will help when i decide to dig into my Zip. i was just keeping it for eye candy but might try to get it running sometime.

i think you could probubly add do not use gorrilla torque to the whole thing:)

Exceptional thread Gary!......Fantastic photos and details!......You deserve lots of rep! Unfortunately I'll have to wait to getcha .......:cheers:

I run a Tillotson HL314G on my Open Modified Honda GX-200 Kart engine. It's got the .890 Venturi, and 1.000" throttle bore. Great carbs, great for power!

I have to rebuild about every 5 running hours however, dont know why, we just have to rebuild them more often on 4 strokes...the metering dipahragm becomes very stretched.

The only thing Im not sure about on your rebuild is why you arent using the new style captivated needle with the new style captivated metering level? They were in unison, great results doing it that way. I tried your way on accident the first time I rebuilt mine, and it wouldnt tune, even with the pop-off set at 10lbs, it wouldnt tune..

Also, why arent you setting your pop-off? Correct pop-off is the key to a tilly Being off by just a couple pounds can make it not run properly..lean out at high demands, flood at idle, etc.

If you ever want a good price on some stock kits, apskarting has a full array of all Tillotson HL and HG carb kits, from shutters, to kits, to pump bodys, carb bodys, inlets, screens (brass and SS). If you ever want to dabble in hopping one up...ecdistributing makes an array of trick parts for them, from a custom diaphragm that reacts faster, high flow needle and seat, trick pump skins, you name it! Also, if you ever want to talk to the Tillotson master, they have a forum where you can talk to E.C Birt himself.

Ive got a new Tilly on its way Im going to try out, I think it's a HL-388, could be an HL304WX..guy wasnt sure which he sent.

Does anybody have an HL series carburetor for sale that I can use on my McCulloch 1-70?

The HL series covers a very broad range of carbs, some jetted/drilled for gas, some for alcohol, throttle bore size and Venturi size and shape varies greatly, as well as the throttle hook up, some have choke, some have no choke and no way to have a choke...

If you can give me some idea of about what should be on it....Mike Acres site just says "McCulloch" for carburetor.

Also, what part of NW florida are you in?

Back