Tree climbing in Charlotte and new rigging equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ExploreTrees

Reaction score
The city of trees, Charlotte NC, had a competition the other day.

Here is a video from local Fox station showing some of it and an inventor demonstrating his new invention - a Singing Tree Rope Wrench.

I used to live there and know some of the men from Heartwood Tree (the guy with the treasure).

==> Tree Climbing In The Queen City | Charlotte News | Weather | Carolina Panthers | Bobcats | FOX Charlotte | Local News

So call me crazy, but WTF is that thing connecting the wrench to the system. It looks like a piece of metal... is that new? I am looking on the Sherrill site and it just has rope. Does the rope have to be rated for life support?

I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with all the equipment used for climbing.

The news clip crammed a few stories into a ½min broadcast. My interest was the event and the one person I knew in the clip. I figured perhaps some of the climbers here would be familiar with that device.

btw, the clip says he invented it, not sure if it's been patented and sold anywhere...

I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with all the equipment used for climbing.

The news clip crammed a few stories into a ½min broadcast. My interest was the event and the one person I knew in the clip. I figured perhaps some of the climbers here would be familiar with that device.

btw, the clip says he invented it, not sure if it's been patented and sold anywhere...

this is the item
Singing Tree Rope Wrench with Tether : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

but it didnt have a rope just a metal thing. On the wrench it says not for primary life support so i guess you can use whatever you want.

Rope Wrench was invented by Detroit tree climber Kevin Bingham. It's patented and made in the U.S. The wrench is used for single rope climbing (SRT), a friction hitch is on the rope for the climber's life support connection, the wrench provides friction above the hitch so that a hitch can be used SRT. If you try and use only a friction hitch SRT you'll find it doesn't work, the hitch grabs too tight and when it it releases after much effort it's likely to drop you to the ground. Many climbers have tried a zillion different hitches to solve this and none have worked. The Rope Wrench solves the problem, now a climber can have a friction hitch perform much the same way it does in a DdRT system. The short tether from the wrench to the climber's harness keeps the wrench in the correct position to allow the hitch to perform optimally, the tether does not need to be life support quality, if it broke the hitch would grab hard (if it is tied and dressed properly). It makes sense to have the wrench tether plenty strong, you want your wrench to function effectively during a climb.
-AJ

Back