Trees you like, Trees you dislike.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you get it wrong the tree of heaven is not cottonwood!
It is alanthias

oops misread. thx saddle. i didnt think they let giant piles of turds with leaves in heaven. looks like i need to look this one up.

and i would like to add to the worst chipping list-SYCAMORES- OH GAG ME

Rope, what is that tree and are they here in arkansas, Just never heard of one.:confused:

Yes they are they occur in the river bottoms look like locusts
but have a large bean pod 6 inch and 1/2 inch thick, the pods are poision
unless boiled and steeped then they are pioneers coffee!
Also they are beautiful in fall ! They are not common but
random occurring natives!

Last edited:
Yes they are they occur in the river bottoms look like locusts
but have a large bean pod 6 inch and 1/2 inch thick, the pods are poision
unless boiled and steeped then they are pioneers coffee!
Also they are beautiful in fall ! They are not common but
random occurring natives!
OKayThanks, I know what they are now. Never knew the name, But they are neat looking.

dislikes: gums, coffee tree, walnut and hickory(hate stepping on them and picking them up)(planning on removing 10 hickories and 1 last walnut this year)

ailanthus altissima. or chinese sumac.

another addition to the likes collumn - japanese maples.

Musk tree, stink tree, tree of heaven many names for that fern like tree!

Another liked tree dating back to dinosaurs Mimosa beautiful blossoms! Magnolia solangiana spelling wrong, beautiful tree purple flowers! Flowering chery, wild cherry man their is so many got to love them American chestnut

dislikes: gums, coffee tree, walnut and hickory(hate stepping on them and picking them up)(planning on removing 10 hickories and 1 last walnut this year)

can't beat a few pieces of hickory on the ol bbq tho....

I like all maples, ash, oak, black cherry, american elm for the hot burning wood when the bark falls off. I don't really care for weeping willows, they provide tremendous shade, but make a huge mess, the firewood is nearly useless, and they just don't die.:dizzy:

cheers and jeers

favs, willow oak, doug fir; hemlock, so graceful; magnolia (southern)

dislikes, locusts, blackcherry, sycamore, bradford pears frankly any "tree" sold at the big box stores..

you can reall tell the east cost guys on this thread.

I have never seen a redwood, or a sugar pine. When I do, they'll be up there on top.

Favs.....Yellow Poplar for it's large leaves, Sycamore, Black Cherry, White Oak, Red Maple, Silve Maple, and Pecan.

Me no likey pine trees. :mad:

I know of one tree that i would not want in the yard although they look kinda neat. Don't know the name of the tree but they have a fruit we call horse apples. Big green knotty looking balls. Some of them things look like they could weigh 5 pounds. Seen a yard full of them under a big tree. You wouln't want to set a lawn chair under one of those trees Without wearing a helmet.

I love Bur Oaks- the king of trees. Elms before they died around here. Sugar maples. Hate willows, tree of heaven, cottonwoods. I took down a dead cottonwood over a septic system last year. Everything I used smelled horrible, including my chipper and saws.
Phil

favs, willow oak, doug fir; hemlock, so graceful; magnolia (southern)

dislikes, locusts, blackcherry, sycamore, bradford pears frankly any "tree" sold at the big box stores..

you can reall tell the east cost guys on this thread.

I have never seen a redwood, or a sugar pine. When I do, they'll be up there on top.

wondering why the bradford pear made it into your dislikes???

Don't care for Basswood trees. I have quite a few in my woodlot. They blockout all the sun light and are overmature. With no market for the logs, I'm cutting them down and will let most rot. Heres a picture of a few on the ground.

I see carving blocks of basswood for sale on ebay, if you can find a market, all that basswood you don't like could be $$$.

Trees I like: all oaks except blackjack, bald cypress, hickories, cherries, redbud, cedars (only eastern red native here, and it makes me break out in a rash, but stll like it), pecan, apples, pears, plums, persimmions, peaches, dogwoods.

Trees I dislike: osage orange (aptly described as "descending looking like you been in a fight w/ a tiger"), black locust (worst thorns ever), elms in general, but spefically the one that spreads 2x as wide as it is tall and never has a good central tie in, silver and norway maples, black walnut (wet sawdust burns me badly but they're pretty trees and produce great nuts).

Back