Vertical Mulching

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calculate volume for a proposed auger hole.

Now multiply that by your number of holes in your grid or concentric pattern.

Compare that small volume to that created by trenching or decompacting with an air gun. It's not even close.

Hell, just making a huge new mulch bed with wood chips shows remarkable soil improvements from structural, chemical, to biological aspects in a surprising amount of time.

Vertical mulching/core aerating should be reserved for the circumstances of dealing with a relatively thin and shallow layer of hardpan imo.
Yup, I love the breakdown over time benefits to wood chip mulch. All the trees I care about and planted get topped off yearly and the soil has gone from native poor to absolutely wonderful.

Topping the trees you care about eh?

True professional.

:)

I see we got's a wise guy lol, topped off mulch not limbs :laugh: I'd be surely lying if I said I have not topped though and all kinds of tree torture in my early years in the 80s

The first time i read it i did read it that way. Went back and understood after that.

In the eighties all i did was pee on trees.

The first time i read it i did read it that way. Went back and understood after that.

In the eighties all i did was pee on trees.
Ha ha no sweat I knew you read it wrong and to your credit i should have said top coat or dressed but i'm getting lazy only 2 days off this month.

Back