what files for square chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipeliner542

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have searched the subject And would like to try square chisel chain Thanks to this site. We are firewood cutters Mostly hardwood just wondering what size file(s) and types I would need to sharpen Stihl RLSk Got a few loops to try. Saw is 361 slight mod 20"b Is this chain ok or is there a better chain or brand to learn with (ease of filing) Thanks guys

The easiest chain to sharpen is round in my opinion. Square chisel does cut faster no doubt. but just a little bit of dirt and "wham" the edge is gone, plus it takes a lot longer to sharpen (imo) than round chisel. If your going to be cutting anywhere near the ground or dirty wood i'd prolly stay away from the square chisel and stick with round full chisel. But that's just me.

A goofy file is faster, but a double bevel is more forgiving when you are learning. And if you run it long enough, it does file faster IMO.

Last edited:
Double bevel? Are there different angles of file for different type of wood and where should i buy? Local support here Sucks For any saw... I mostly run rsc (the Norm)and rm for the dirty but just like most on here I just want to try something new tto see I have 5 trees all oak About 20" dia and are clean wood Figured it would be a good chance to try a few things I got off here (full skip compared to full comp)(square vs round) I even got a loaner 441 to try againt my new slightly modded 361(about 30 tanks through her) Av gas w/t2 @ 40:1 k&n,muffler mod,timing. It will be fun....

Am still trying to clear schedule to get to the gtg to meet you guys i know I would learn alot.....

On mine i used a double bevel from Woodsman Pro. I accualy found it easier to sharpen it backwards from what you would a round chain. You can see the angles more clearly and have a better view of what your doing.

Double bevel? Are there different angles of file for different type of wood and where should i buy? Local support here Sucks For any saw... I mostly run rsc (the Norm)and rm for the dirty but just like most on here I just want to try something new tto see I have 5 trees all oak About 20" dia and are clean wood Figured it would be a good chance to try a few things I got off here (full skip compared to full comp)(square vs round) I even got a loaner 441 to try againt my new slightly modded 361(about 30 tanks through her) Av gas w/t2 @ 40:1 k&n,muffler mod,timing. It will be fun....

Nope, all the same file. It is just something you figure out. With the square file you are cutting three angles at once and you can change them all by the angle you file. I wish I could help more with the actual angles, but all I know is what works for me.

Here is a good start, Madsens used to have really good info on their web site but they don't anymore. Here is one I found from Oregon, its pretty goodhttp://www.oregonchain.com/tech/ms_manual/ms_06.pdf
I would argue some of it, I don't believe you need an eighth inch shelf between the gullet and working edge, I find they cut faster if you cut the gullet back to the edge. Also, the first figure showing the inside working corner is the most important of all.

Some folks try square and give up. I tried it a few years back and now all of my race saws and most of my work saws run it. I have some chipper on my dirt saw but thats about it.

Last edited:
Baileys has the double bevel files.I only square file,kind of,on trick chains.Square top ,round side.They cut faster but aren't worth the bother to me for a work type chain but to each his own on that.

The real pain is for example the initial filing to take one from round to square.For me,several hours.Afterwards a touch up takes about 15 minutes on a twenty inch loop.If it were round that would be about 5 minutes.

I have never seen anyone file a square chain so I have one question so far. Are you making multiple passes on the same cutter to get the different angles, or do you position the file a certain way to get them all on one pass?

Thanks, Sam

Welcome to the square chain camp. The stuff is great! PITA to sharpen, but to me, that's half the fun. Good way put those 'Type A' traits to good use. Sure makes lots of chips in a hurry! You asked about files and angles. I use the Pferred files from Baileys. I run a 20 degree outside top plate angle, 45 degrees on inside top plate and inside side plate. Outside side plate @ 5+/- degrees. Gullets brought all the way back to the cutter, as stated earlier. The angles are approximate, as it's nearly impossible to hold exact angles with a file. You'll need the $800 - $2000 grinder for that. But don't worry - close counts.

Dimanager: It's all done in one pass and is controlled by the position of the file. Difficult to describe, but if you are wanting to try it, just order a chain and some files. When you lay the file on the cutter, it'll all make sense. It's kind of hard to keep steady and maintain your angles at first, but you get used to it. You just visualize the angle you are going for and hold the file accordingly. Stop and check your work often at first; sucks to spend a bunch of time on a cutter and find you are off. The most important part in the beginning is to learn how to watch and adjust to keep the working corner from going high (top beak), or low (side beak). If you get a top beak, it won't cut. A side beak will cut like stink for awhile, but will dull very quickly. The best way to make sharpening easier is to not let the chain get too dull. Once you see the point start to go away, or notice lower cutting perfomance/dust, change chains imediately. Once the point starts to go, it seams to snowball and make lots of work for you later. Have a ball!
Shane.

A goofy file is faster, but a double bevel is more forgiving when you are learning. And if you run it long enough, it does file faster IMO.

I've never tried a goofy. What's the draw? Is there an advantage? How does it make a corner?

Also got some of the triangle files from Stihl. Still can't figure out what to do with those... :confused:

I've never tried a goofy. What's the draw? Is there an advantage? How does it make a corner?

Also got some of the triangle files from Stihl. Still can't figure out what to do with those... :confused:

The goofy is faster, but since its rounded it makes it tougher to keep your inside corner, they like to beak on you until you get used to them. I havn't used a triangle but they look like they would work the same as a double bevel.

Here are a few pics of what I would consider decent angles for a working square filed chain. The back and down angle and the top plate and side plate hook is a little greater than off the reel square ground but still gives decent stay sharp and quicker. Using more back sweep and more side plate hook would take you towards a bit faster but tender edges. When I have about a files thickness clearance between the file and the edge of my chain clamp I know I am just ticking the tie straps with the bottom edge of the file, which is about where you want to be.

Latest posts

Back