Whats a makita chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I probably should have made an offer on a dolmar the wife would have never noticed a new orange saw. I have wanted a dolmar for a long time. I tend to mess around with small cc saws more. Last saw I came close to accidentally buying was an eager beaver...I was sweating on that one.

The trick is getting a few different colored saw right off bat. THEN she will NEVER know the difference because they are always different colors in the beginning

Then she REALLY can not tell them apart[emoji16]

My saw list is not big. But my wife actually thinks i have MORE than i do....so i have room for more already [emoji23][emoji23]

385xp
3120xp
2166/72
6100ea (smurf)
Homlite XL
Remington mighty mite

She thinks i have 10 saws[emoji23][emoji23].

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Currently I have 2 79xx and 2 64xx series ( one is blue grey-Makita colors- same inside guts) plus a 112 apx 50cc, been running Dolmar saws for 25 years now and can't complain at all. My very first Dolmar saw was a 116SI just plain wore that one out completely. Dolmar has never been particularly popular here stateside- due to a rather thin dealer network and you never or hardly ever would come across ads for same. Only problem I have had was a leaking bottom cylinder gasket after 10 years of use on my 7900. That was real sneaky to find. must have been some problems there as the new gasket was an up grade from the original. The 4 units wear different size bars. the reason for 7910 and 6410 was a dealer was getting out of the biz and was selling them at cost- how can you go wrong- 2 saws for the price of one 64xx series retail. The Makita branded one (Blue Grey) is a Home depot cast off- $ 900 saw for $200 included bar and chain- just needed a new oil pump $50. I have a little Echo 35cc on the bottom end and a Stilh 084 (120cc) with a 42" + a 50" (.404 chain) on the other end of the spectrum. Makes short work of those 4-6ft diameter tree trunks. Recent addition is a Makita corded Electric saw- only one on the market I know of with an all steel gear train. ( most of the electric saws have a big plastic drive gear- guess what happens if you get the chain pinched) Really neat thing on this unit is if you overload it , it shuts down so you do not burn anything out Ease up and hit the trigger again and you are right back at it- funny they do not mention this in the manual ( ya I know I am a guy and not supposed to read the manual so dink my man card for that :laugh:). Makita aquired Dolmar a few years ago - so that makes the Makita dealer net work avaiable for parts sourcing. Can't comment on the saws under 50cc as I do not have any of the current crop. There was a problem with the 500 series when first introduced - set real lean to make EPA specs and people were scoring the cylinders because of that ( no fault of there own for the most part)- but that held true industry wide for the same time period.

Nice 39 cc class saw , same as the Dolmar PS-401 . I think their still priced around $ 250.00 . You may have the non adjustible oiler , a adjustible oiler $12.00 is available should yours cause excessive puddling when shut off . Keep an eye on the bar nut tightness . Good Purchase !

Nice 39 cc class saw , same as the Dolmar PS-401 . I think their still priced around $ 250.00 . You may have the non adjustible oiler , a adjustible oiler $12.00 is available should yours cause excessive puddling when shut off . Keep an eye on the bar nut tightness . Good Purchase !

I think I have 1 saw that doesnt leave a puddle.. I swapped the oiler on my husky but if this one works fine I'll leave it. I haven't used the saw or really touched it yet. I got 23 tons of stone for the driveway today so that was my project. But yes my 5 minute look at this saw blows every poulan/craftsman saw away. I'm surprised in the details for a small cc home owner saw.

Pics or it didnt happen :laugh:

I'll get you a pic lol next post will be I bought a toyota truck and you will never see a pic because it didnt happen. I've been busy working and working outside on my spring chores after work. It's a rough time in NY at the moment. I'm upstate NY by niagara falls but the whole state is on lockdown. Our governor is an a hole.

I think you will be happy with this unit . Most likely a .325 with a 16" bar & semi chisel tooth chain will be optimal . I just purchased a Dolkita 5105 H ( heat handles) it is the high rpm 50 cc model which has a 3/8 18 " bar & semi chisel chain . I have run it against my Husky 346 xp and it holds its own in all woods ! Not a giant killer compared to my 576 xp but the Dolly can be carried all day felling , limbing & bucking small / medium trees . So good luck and let us know how you make out . P.S. My saw had a muffler mod done by the seller (Tim) on this forum which really perked it up once I ran a few tanks through it and did a final tuning . All the Best !

I'll get you a pic lol next post will be I bought a toyota truck and you will never see a pic because it didnt happen. I've been busy working and working outside on my spring chores after work. It's a rough time in NY at the moment. I'm upstate NY by niagara falls but the whole state is on lockdown. Our governor is an a hole.
Step son lives on Buffalo. I'm in the catskills .

So I used it today. Apparently I'm building a chicken coop. I started clearing a few ash trees around the coop site. And it was running real rich during the cut. Then after the second tree it died. All I did was drop them. I pulled the muffler and all is good. So I'm going to pull the plug and go from there. It's still got the limiter caps on it. It needs a good cleaning. I was a bit upset.

Here's a pic of a saw that has never been cleaned. I'm going to clean it up and go from there. The air filter is taking a bubble bath right now and the contents of the muffler have been removed. I'm guessing that the fact that the air filter has never been cleaned has a lot to do with it running rich. The inside of the muffler is black. It's nice to see that this isnt a clamshell engine.
20200412_080332.jpg

The dirty air filter definitely will cause the rich condition . Since it apparently wasn,t maintained religiously you should give the carb a servicing . Either fuel cleaner or actual dismantle and spray clean jets and internals if you have the proper carb tool . I doubt the limiters or caps are a deal breaker . As I previously mentioned a quick tuning really wakes them up and after proper muffler mod usually is req,d . Nice A/V system also . :cheers:

The dirty air filter definitely will cause the rich condition . Since it apparently wasn,t maintained religiously you should give the carb a servicing . Either fuel cleaner or actual dismantle and spray clean jets and internals if you have the proper carb tool . I doubt the limiters or caps are a deal breaker . As I previously mentioned a quick tuning really wakes them up and after proper muffler mod usually is req,d . Nice A/V system also . :cheers:

I started getting into it today and I have not seen a saw this bad. My 051 was a logging saw and was dirty but maintained. The cooling fins are plugged.. this is going to take some work. The mechanicals seem fine but who buys a saw and never cleans it? And not like some 79 dollar wild thing this is a bad ass version of a small cc saw. Dont drink and ebay... it will get you some day. I didnt stop drinking but I logged myself out lol.

Way back when I bought a Makita DCS 6401. The DCS stands for "Dolmar chain saw" . It ran good, was heavy. Was a 60cc class saw that weighed what a 70cc class does. It would pull a 30" skip chain pretty decent though. Got rid of that saw.

One day I saw a CL ad, guy had a Dolmar 7900 for sale. Had original bar/chain, the adhesive price sticker was still on the bar. In the last pic., you can still barely see "Dolmar" on the bar. Still have it but don't use it a lot, runs good. I'd sell this just because I don't run it much and have bigger saws.DSCF0002.JPGDSCF0003.JPGDSCF0004.JPGDSCF0005.JPGDSCF0006.JPG

Way back when I bought a Makita DCS 6401. The DCS stands for "Dolmar chain saw" . It ran good, was heavy. Was a 60cc class saw that weighed what a 70cc class does. It would pull a 30" skip chain pretty decent though. Got rid of that saw.

One day I saw a CL ad, guy had a Dolmar 7900 for sale. Had original bar/chain, the adhesive price sticker was still on the bar. In the last pic., you can still barely see "Dolmar" on the bar. Still have it but don't use it a lot, runs good. I'd sell this just because I don't run it much and have bigger saws.View attachment 817614View attachment 817615View attachment 817616View attachment 817617View attachment 817618
You Definately should list it on the chainsaw sale site . Excellent saw and a heavy hitter in the 70 + cc class . I would be interested if I had not already purchased a 576 xp a few yrs back !

I started getting into it today and I have not seen a saw this bad. My 051 was a logging saw and was dirty but maintained. The cooling fins are plugged.. this is going to take some work. The mechanicals seem fine but who buys a saw and never cleans it? And not like some 79 dollar wild thing this is a bad ass version of a small cc saw. Dont drink and ebay... it will get you some day. I didnt stop drinking but I logged myself out lol.

A once over with the regular low pressure garden hose won’t hurt a darn thing. Cover up the outlet on your muffler and the carb inlet.

I would try to keep the coil dry though

Hose that baby off real good, put it back together. Run it and get it hot

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Cleaned it up and sharpened it. It runs and doesn't smoke. I have not tried to cut with it again.
20200413_145112.jpg
20200413_150321.jpg

Anyone know the deal on this? It let's you draw air off the engine into the carb if flipped to snowflake. Is it really necessary?
20200413_145117.jpg

Cleaned it up and sharpened it. It runs and doesn't smoke. I have not tried to cut with it again.
View attachment 817785
View attachment 817786

Anyone know the deal on this? It let's you draw air off the engine into the carb if flipped to snowflake. Is it really necessary?
View attachment 817787
It's the winter operation deflector . Keeps hot air directed to the carb in cold weather operation . Removable for warm weather operation . Looks good cleaned up well . Did you check the carb for adjustment limiters ?

It's the winter operation deflector . Keeps hot air directed to the carb in cold weather operation . Removable for warm weather operation . Looks good cleaned up well . Did you check the carb for adjustment limiters ?

I pulled the limiters off. I've never seen a saw with the deflector in it. Although most of them pull air from the engine compartment anyways. This one pulls air from outside the cover.

I pulled the limiters off. I've never seen a saw with the deflector in it. Although most of them pull air from the engine compartment anyways. This one pulls air from outside the cover.
Yeah , I usually leave the shutter in the summer position unless it,s really cold . I only had it begin to ice up once and it was a overnight change from humid to frosty when it occured . Run a tank through it , then check the saw tuning in the cut to ensure optimal safe performance .

Back