Which rope to buy? (yeah, another rope question)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the rope and the score! Just remember to keep the rope as clean as possible, and out of the dirt. Dirt embedded in the rope fibers will gnaw away at it.

If you didn't already, look into a rope bag. I got the cheapest one I could find, and while it works, it's pretty, well, cheap. I'd get a Rope Boss or other higher class bag if I did it over. Just feeding the rope into the bag when you're done and letting it coil itself as you go is worth it over trying to coil a long rope by hand. I keep my rope, clevises, tree strap, and pulley in there, and my throwline and bag in the side pocket. Everything in one place, nice and neat.

That area looks a lot like where I was cutting up north last fall, only with bigger timber. Be careful around all the stored energy in those trees, and with the size you're dealing with, you'll have a lot of wood no time flat.

Well, I thought overkill was better than underkill, so I bit the bullet and ordered a 150' hank of 3/8" Amsteel. Found some that had an abrasion sleeve over one end and thimbles on both ends. Pulley is on it's way too.

We had another bad line of t-storms come thru today. We only got a couple of hours cutting in before they blew thru. I'm glad that we made it back to the house. After the storms cleared out, we went back to the property, but couldn't get thru. There was an 8" dbh maple tree dropped across the only road to the property. I pulled over to get out the saw to clear the road, but my nephew said he didn't think it was a good idea because the top of the tree was supported on the electric lines. I think he was right, so we turned around and went back home. Tried going back 4 hr later, but the tree was still there. Heard on the news tonight that 8 hangars at the local airport were trashed, along the the planes in them. Plus cell towers and the 911 tower in the county seat were folded over as well.

We'll try again in the morning.

Congrats on your new Amsteel rope! You will love it!

Thanks guys. I like the Amsteel already. I didn't realize how long 150' is!

I hear ya on the stored energy. Anything that is under tension or stress I cut and let my nephew limb and cut to 12' pieces.

You're right about the amount of wood that is generated. The property owner told me to just cut it and leave it, but I just can't. I'm making a pile for him, and a pile for me.

I ran thru a gallon of gas in the 7900 before noon today just dropping dead trees. I think I dropped around 30, and one needed the 32" bar instead of the 24" one. This area is around a pond, so all the branches need to be cleaned up. There's a LOT of them 'cause the trees died a year ago.

I have a bunch of friends coming over the end of next week and I was hoping to have it all cleaned up by then. It'll be a push to get it done.

If you had a choice of 2 Oak Trees, one white and one red, which one would you take and why?

Steve, I saw those bags and was wondering if it was worth it. Right now I'm putting it in a 5 gallon bucket.

White oak has more heat in it, but red oak is real easy to split. Funny you should ask that question. People that know me always ask why I put effort into knowing which tree is which and how they rate for firewood. I tell them your exact scenario.

Have the friends help pile up the branches for you, then have a nice bon fire by the lake. Wisky in one hand beer in the other.

Last edited:
Update:

I misspoke in the previous thread. I didn't order the 3/8" Amsteel, I ordered the 1/2" 150' long hank.

Here's a few pics from the mess:
Big Red Oak
100_1827.jpg

100_1830.jpg

That red oak is the size tree I like the best - plenty of wood & fun cutting.

If you had a choice of 2 Oak Trees, one white and one red, which one would you take and why?

For outdoor lumber projects and fencing - white oak. Inside projects - red oak. Firewood - either one but IMO red oak is easier to split by hand.

A very rewarding chore you have there.

Here is mine: 47' to the first branch

241097d1339265689-img_2556-jpg
View attachment 246903
attachment.php
attachment.php
View attachment 246903[/ATTACH]View attachment 246905

Ron

That is a pretty big tree Rwoods, Putting the Mac to work there I see ? Love you equipment. Rep sent.

Back