Zigzag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg
Am a wannabe American.
I wish you could enjoy the winter like I do.

.....must remember to plug in those damn lights this year.
took down one spruce and replaced it with some lesser vegetation to make the wife happy this summer
.image.jpg

Zone 4 . No killing frost after late May till mid September...usually.

The ZZ belongs in the Smithsonian with other great inventions like the cotton gin, the bread slicer, and the sewing machine.
Each of them have lots of moving parts, and all of them could mangle you with varying degrees of mayhem.
I will concede that your truck commonly goes 70mph down a steep grade, and a ZZ can only rarely do that.
Oh my god . It's not even an original design , If it was in the smithsonian it may be a door stop , or something to hold napkins down at the snack bar ... That piece of flimsy crap isn't half as built as the chain on my 9 year olds bicycle ... Why you love it so much ? I can't even say that I don't without you going all Canadian Celine dion diva on me ....

I went from using a Blakes to a HitchHiker to a ZZ.
Still like the HH, but it can be finicky (getting it fine tuned) compared to the ZZ.
Have you ever tried a ZZ?

Haha. I have read some of the comments on the zig zag on here but I'm going to give it a try anyway. Anything to make my climbing life easier.

Anything? Like in ANYTHING?

Well I guess death, in a sense, would make yer life easier. Whoa Nelly! Watch out for that Zig Zag, the last step is a doozy.

I love my ZZ. I think its the greatest thing since the foot ascender. TBH, the thought crossed my mind the other day while I was climbing that anyone who wants to climb DRT is making a mistake not using one. With normal gear inspection there is nothing to worry about. I question the need for the orginal recall. Who the hell climbs trees with enough slack in there line for that accident to happen like that anyway? Just a bunch of BS. So hey maybe this is a good thread for this site at this point. This site has turned into crap.

Everyone has a different opinion for sure. I've tried the zig zag a few times (for whole days) and just couldn't get to like it. It is awesome on ascent, and really nice control of friction but the thing that always gets me is how sensitive the thing is. You pretty much go into free fall if you sneeze! That might be an exaggeration but I've had a few experiences with ZZ where I bumped the device while working and scared the **** out of myself. Just normal stuff, reaching across it, using a handsaw or whatever. It's seriously sensitive, and if you're coming from a prusik that sensitivity is going to take some getting used to in terms of how you work. If you're new to climbing then you'll adapt to it easily.

Everyone has a different opinion for sure. I've tried the zig zag a few times (for whole days) and just couldn't get to like it. It is awesome on ascent, and really nice control of friction but the thing that always gets me is how sensitive the thing is. You pretty much go into free fall if you sneeze! That might be an exaggeration but I've had a few experiences with ZZ where I bumped the device while working and scared the **** out of myself. Just normal stuff, reaching across it, using a handsaw or whatever. It's seriously sensitive, and if you're coming from a prusik that sensitivity is going to take some getting used to in terms of how you work. If you're new to climbing then you'll adapt to it easily.

I hear ya mate, the balance point of grabbing and releasing was pretty hair trigger for me as well. My biggest problem was that the kind of cash this thing sell for buys me a lifetime supply (ok maybe a bit exaggerated!) of hitch cord and eye to eyes, yet does not work as well as them. Decision to buy or not was easy for me. ;)

Back