Speed Sharp chain grinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Recent posts on this chain grinder have peaked my interest in purchasing one. Seems like the base is better built and angles are more accurate. Where can I buy one? A google search turned up Bailey's, but the web site says "no longer available". Any ideas? Any more feedback on this grinder? Thanks!

Recent posts on this chain grinder have peaked my interest in purchasing one. Seems like the base is better built and angles are more accurate. Where can I buy one? A google search turned up Bailey's, but the web site says "no longer available". Any ideas? Any more feedback on this grinder? Thanks!

??????? Says 'in stock when I checked.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=45340&catID=9761

If you can't get it there (?), it is basically the same as the Oregon and Jolly Star grinders (Made in Italy, not the Chinese knock offs)

http://www2.tecomec.it/database/tec...7D1A6F442C0B7606C12571EA004D8D84?OpenDocument

http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/accessories/FullSizeChainGrindersAndWheels.pdf (you want the newer 511AX)

Philbert

Thanks!

Thanks Philbert for the link! Don't know how I screwed it up doing my search. Anyway, anyone have experience with one?

There is nothing wrong with the Northern Tool knock off grinder. I got one just after Christmas for $89, I think there around $120 now. But with just a little practice I am producting some wicked sharp chains now...:clap:

Are the speed sharp star grinders an updated version of the Jolly Star grinder?
I believe they are both Tecomec? I plan on getting one or the other. Just not happy with the Oregon with hydro assist. anymore. I want a manual locking rail, the hydro clamp could use some improvement, its not that great, the cutter rocks when the wheel hits it alot of the time.

I believe they are both Tecomec? I plan on getting one or the other. Just not happy with the Oregon with hydro assist. anymore. I want a manual locking rail, the hydro clamp could use some improvement, its not that great, the cutter rocks when the wheel hits it alot of the time.

witch model you have?

oregon does make a non hydro assist one

They are not interchangable. I emailed oregon and here is the response i got, so I have ordered the Jolly Star from amickssuperstore.com . May just keep the Oregon and set it up for rakers.

Good morning Kevin,

Unfortunately, the vises are not interchangeable. What problems are you having with the Hyd. Vise?

Best Regards,

Alison Heynderickx

Technical Customer Service

toll free: 800.223.5168

Ph:503.653.4706

fax ; 503.353.6423

They are not interchangable. I emailed oregon and here is the response i got, so I have ordered the Jolly Star from amickssuperstore.com . May just keep the Oregon and set it up for rakers.

Good morning Kevin,

Unfortunately, the vises are not interchangeable. What problems are you having with the Hyd. Vise?

Best Regards,

Alison Heynderickx

Technical Customer Service

toll free: 800.223.5168

Ph:503.653.4706

fax ; 503.353.6423

that bites but hey 2 machines is a great Idea :cheers:

Just not happy with the Oregon with hydro assist. anymore. I want a manual locking rail, the hydro clamp could use some improvement, its not that great, the cutter rocks when the wheel hits it alot of the time.

They are a good grinder mate. I sold my MAXX (as per my other posts) to get the Speed Sharp Automatic and it was an absolute blessing. Only when I got the Speed Sharp did I truly realise just how out of whack the MAXX was.
The MAXX certainly does have a better auto lock but what I've found on the Speed Sharp Auto is that you can't go by the guage settings for drive link width. I always have to go tighter than the actual dial says to stop the cutter moving when the wheel hits it (same as with my MAXX). Basically I feed the chain along while tightening the vice setting. The second the chain binds in the rails I back it off a touch. Its not uncommon for me to run a .058" chain at the .050" setting.
Unless you sharpen a lot of chains I would stick with the manual versions as the auto versions are only of real benefit if you sharpen a lot of chains or have a business. They are WAY faster though (I've used both). You can also get slack with the auto lock models and not keep an eye out for that odd cutter that "pops up" on you - then it gets ground at a dodgey angle :) With the manual versions you tend to keep your eyes open a bit more.
Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back