Limbing and Bucking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I found the following web page on limbing and bucking. I see from reading this that I don’t know as much on this subject as I should!
http://ilvirtualforest.nres.uiuc.edu/harvest/timstips/limbuck.htm

I notice that there are some neat tricks which you can use to keep logs from rolling, etc.

Up to now, I have been working with smaller stuff and using what other people have taught me along with common sense.

But now I’m bucking and limbing larger logs (25 inches and larger). Some of these are on hills. Some are in piles of logs, etc. Some can be moved to a more safe cutting area (away from other logs) but others can’t due to their excessive weight and location.

For now I’m just cutting the “safer to cut” stuff.

Are there any good books or videos on limbing and bucking?

Anyone know if there are any classes or training in Oregon (where I live) on limbing and bucking which would teach the things shown on the above web page?

Professional Timber Falling by D. Duglas Dent, you can get it from Bailey's. Also IF you can find it (its out of print now) The Good WoodCutters Guide by Dave Johnson, both are good reads. Always stand up hill when topping and bucking and try to do so when falling timber. I cut 10mbf today on the side of a friggin mountain and when I'm cutting on steep ground I try to sidehill the timber as much as possible to keep from walking up and down as much. Push, push in the bush..... Thats us! I'm ready for flatter ground!!!

Thanks for the book titles!

Also I called Oregon State University Extension and spoke with Rick Fletcher. Asked if they had any training for chainsaw use...

He said it was about time they put together another chainsaw training seminar. He said they would hold it this winter. This would be in the Albany/Corvallis/Eugene area of Oregon probably.

If you are interested in attending, you can call Rick Fletcher at 541-766-6750 (OSU Extension) and be placed on his mailing list for the chainsaw training. He said he would send me something when they decided on a date for the training. Extension things like this are usually free or a small charge.

Latest posts

Back