What is 'bucking'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After trees are felled and limbed they are "bucked" into lengths. The length that the logs are bucked depends on what the timber will be used for. It's a tough unforgiving job in the woods. Been there done that. But now with mechanized logging it can be done with a feller-buncher/harvester.

Same applies to cutting firewood. When you are cutting "rounds" you are essentially "bucking" the logs.

Gary

So, have I been using the the term "blocking" incorrectly? That's pretty much what everyone around here calls it.

Blocking is an appropriate term also-if you are cutting into blocks. You can "buck" blocks but you don't "block" sawlogs

Well here in Ky., bucking could get a man slapped, and a lawyer involved.

Buck Owens is a GOD here, and he has many grandchildren

I think bucking is a specific term used to differentiate between tasks, such as falling and bucking.
Like it would sound corny if someone asked you what you were doing today and you said you were going to the woods to do some bucking.
I like the term blocking when refering to firewood though.
So really what I'm trying to say is that if someone puts the wood to you ,you can always put the blocks to them.
John

Fish are you getting your F's and B's mixed up again? You've got wood and you're going to do some bucking.

It reminds me of the dyslexic pimp who bought a warehouse!

Dan Forsh said:
Fish are you getting your F's and B's mixed up again? You've got wood and you're going to do some bucking.

Damm It! this like the 4th time I have spit Coke/Beer/Coffee on my monitor reading posts on this site. Thanks for the laugh Dan. You too Fish.

Too funny..... too friggin' funny....

Gary

Gary,

"I have spit Coke/Beer/Coffee"

Mate you have a beverage problem, try one at a time.

kind of like...

Dan Forsh said:

like the time I left a note for my mom saying I'd gone to the "wharehouse".

Upon returning home I found a note from her: "Whorehouse is spelled with an "h", warehouse is not. So which one did you go to?" DOH!

Its called "Chasing" where I come from, at least thats what it felt like. All I did was chase the shovels around and limb and buck up the oversize logs that they laid out. They were the trees that were to big to fit through the Han.

Whenever I use the word "bucking", most normal folks don't have a clue what I'm talking about. It's a pretty common term in forestry and logging parlance, though.

I think the term bucking is used more in conjunction with cutting random length logs as opposed to blocking firewood.
Like in this video if I said I was bucking off a 1" cookie off this Cherry log with this 362, it would sound sort of limp wristed, however, if I was using a crosscut saw it would be the correct terminology.
But then again, we use a sawbuck to saw firewood. So bucking is more of a West Coast term and is refered to more in the East as sawing or cutting.
John

Back