Stihl: "steel" or "still"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilzlofgren

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On Stihls website , they say that their name is pronounced "steel". That is always how I pronounce it. However, I was on you tube and typed in "stihl" and got a bunch of videos, including Australian commercials. The commercials pronounce Stihl as "still". I don't think it has anything to do with the accent either.

Around here most old timers say Stihl. Because of the ads, probably, it is getting more common for folks into saws more recently to say steel. I say steel because that is what I hear Stihl saying.

All the different people around here i dont argue how they pronounce it, long as i can understand them...:deadhorse:

Remembering back to my college German classes, in der Vaterland it would be pronounced "shteel."

Of course, I was drunk a LOT in college, so I could be wrong...

Pronunciation of "Stihl"

Wood_Newbie wasn't too drunk in college to get the pronunciation of Stihl correct. German was my first language, and "Shteel" would be close to the way my father and mother would have said it. The "ee" wouldn't have been quite as drawn out as in English, however. Gene Gauss

Wood_Newbie wasn't too drunk in college to get the pronunciation of Stihl correct. German was my first language, and "Shteel" would be close to the way my father and mother would have said it. The "ee" wouldn't have been quite as drawn out as in English, however. Gene Gauss

Ya ser gut!

I heard...

Listening to Soren Eriksson say the names of the manufacturers it was:

"Shteel"

"Hooskwarnuh"

"Yonsuhred"

Around here here it is mostly Stihlsky and most common sizes are 044ski, 066ski althougth we dont see many 441skis.

Hope this clears everything up. Rotax

Always pronounced Stihl here, as long as I can remember. Pronuounced still, as in "still in the shop getting fixed". There is only two kinds, Husky and Stihl.

On Stihls website , they say that their name is pronounced "steel". That is always how I pronounce it. However, I was on you tube and typed in "stihl" and got a bunch of videos, including Australian commercials. The commercials pronounce Stihl as "still". I don't think it has anything to do with the accent either.

You need to listen to a German speak. It isn't really "Steel" with a drawn out "ee", and not "i", but a more on the lines of "eh" said quickly and a bit gutterally. "Steel" is the "Americanized" version. The British/Australianized version would be more of a "Still"...ask Lake, it just comes out that way. Kind of like the way they say "aluminum".

With Husqvarna, "hoosk-vahrna" with a shortened "oo" spoken from the back of the throat, "ah" formed back in your throat a bit too, and don't forget to roll your "r". That would get you in the ballpark.

Yawn-sa-road with "road" pronounced a bit like a split between "rude" and "road"...difficult to explain, again, don't forget to roll you "r".

Mark

Like saying "stellar" or "cellar". Stihl is "stell"

Say it towards the back of your throat and you've about got it nailed. Of course everyone is going to look at you like you have two heads, but it would be more phonetically accurate. If you say "steel", they won't think your a goof.

Mark

Latest posts

Back