Why Big Dogs are Good.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tpyke said:
Are big dogs completly useless on a 16" bar? I am wondering if it will shorten my cutting edge too much...

No, but on a 16" bar, unless you're cutting a 32" tree, I'd guess the bark isn't that thick. And you likely wouldn't need to sweep the bar as badly. You'd likely be able to manage the bar through the cut without needing the leverage the large dogs provide. And yes, you do eat up an inch or two with larger after market dogs.

Jeff

If you dont have the welder.. Its pretty nice to know a really cool blacksmith.. i asked em to make some longer dawgs for me for my jonnyred 52e.. thier now 1-1/2 longer... and he cut it out of some harder steel not mild stuff with the plasma cutter.. and i touched em up with a grinder and file.. i dont saw everyday like most of the regulers around here.. but the only reason i made them were for saftey and to keep the exhoust and case away from the tree (and they look cool but i didnt say that)

When sawing, I probably spend 90% of my time bucking logs for firewood.

The nice thing about the dogs is they let you take a hand off the saw when bucking to grab a wedge and pound it into the kerf so it doesn't pinch the bar. The wimpy stock dog (single) on most saws just slips out when trying this but the nice aftermarket dogs that are bigger give you plenty of leeway for gripping bark.

However, if you want to cut some cookies to check out your latest chain sharpening or porting work, you better take those big dogs off.

dawgs rule

i fall a lot of ponderosa pine in the late fall and the dawgs help because of all the pitch in the butt. my stihl 260 prohas a inside dawg that is piece of krapp . i am going to build a pair of west coast specials. the dawgs are a leverage point.:popcorn:

For me I prefer big dogs on my larger saws and medium sized dogs on my smaller ones as I don't want to give up length when blocking with a shorter bar.

For me a single dog would be a pain in the bum even for a small saw because I am often trimming blocks (sides or corners) and on one side of the block I may not have a dog to bite depending on how much I am trimming off. Less control sometimes as well as tougher on the saw sprocket cover if no dog holding the saw away from the wood.

I suppose if you are only bucking logs then one dog is okay on a small saw.

geofore said:
And I thought that was in case you didn't have a stump vise when touching up the chains. Find a soft stump and try it. Not all the old loggers got paid enough to afford a fancy stump vice.

Thanks for the tip, it makes perfect sense, bury the bar -almost- to hold the saw. :cheers:

Bigger dawgs would be nice, burr oak has 2"+ ridges when it's over 30"dbh, this was a very helpful thread to read. Now, is drilling required to install a double set? Please share some more.

I imagine that almost everyone that will be into the kind of cutting that needs dawgs will know to keep a sharp chain. It sure gets intersting to see the results when someone uses the dawgs as a lever trying to make a dull chain cut. I have seen bars blue nearly half an inch from the edges and the rails with wire edge a sixteenth wide. Gotta make you grin;)

fishhuntcutwood said:
Clearance recommend this thread, and I was going to do it anyway, so here goes...

Big dogs, or spikes, or dawgs, or bumper spikes, whatever you call them serve a purpose and don't just look cool. Mainly, they're for thick, West Coast bark we see on original and second growth Doug Fir, cedar, whatever. You've got to be able to take a bite in the tree to rotate your saw around and sweep your (long) bar through the cut up to your hinge. There's no way you can just pull a 28"+ bar lengthways through a cut on your own without wearing yourself out. So you dog in, and sweep through, and it makes it a one hand operation. (I didn't just say that...I mean easy two hand operation.)

You'll also use them when starting a cut. Walk up to your hinge, set the dog in the bark, and now the dogs and the bark are taking the load of the saw and the (long) bar you're using. Instead of getting up to the back cut and dancing around trying to get your bar level and everthing lined up, you've got most of the weight of the saw off your hands.

Large dogs also keep your muffler and brake flag off the tree as well, which are both good for obvious reasons.

What else? Tree Sling'r? Timbe Pig? Timberwolf? Clearance? Andy?

The first pic is of a cookie I took off that Doug fir from the other day in the full wrap thread. That was a small tree and you can see how thick it's bark was. The tree that Tree Sling'r went potty next to in the full wrap thread likely had bark twice as thick!

The second pic is me dogged into the same tree starting my back cut. I hadn't even thought to make that picture, but it just happened that I cought a prime example on film. You can also see how thick and gnarly that bark is.

So again, it's a West Coast thing. I've not seen many sycamore or beech trees with bark as thick as what we see out here.

And as an aside, I like the larger dogs because they keep my longer bars and their tips off the ground when I set them down. Just a nice bonus, but a very real one in my book.

Jeff

About the thickest bark we have here in Ontario is the Acacia also known as the locust. Some of our very old poplars can also get pretty thick skinned. The big dogs are a blessing there.

Good pics Jeff.

I think have double-dawgs help stablize the saw especially for bucking. I think this is especially true when the chain is started to get dull and starts to wander a bit.

Cool - I'm gonna go get a tattoo now of big dawgs.

This is a good thread - I use them, always have. When I buy a new saw the first thing that comes off is the stock filter system - next is the stock face plate followed by the stock dawgs.

When scaling, I have to measure each cut, so I dawg my saw in the log and measure (or long thumb) Jk)... Since I get paid scale I always make the lowest possible stump I can - So I back bar alot - big dawgs make that possible. As stated by many others on here, jug butted trees are tough - big dawgs help keep your saw flat and angled the way it should be to make a good clean under cut... I make under cuts - not notches.

And on a final note when I cut a huge tree and need to get up on the tree (once its down) Because I have big dawgs I can dawg my saw in - and use it to help me get on the tree.

stihlatit said:
About the thickest bark we have here in Ontario is the Acacia also known as the locust. Some of our very old poplars can also get pretty thick skinned. The big dogs are a blessing there.

Good pics Jeff.

Although Mike Mass disagrees, different trees of the same species can have widely varying bark.

I have some ash that had terrable flaky bark about 2.5-3" thick on a 36" log that I got from my neighbor.

Similar trees on my property have bark about 1" thick and it seems fairly tightly bound to its self.

Madens's

I tried to go to Madsen's website (I have it bookmarked) and it isn't working. I want to order the 3/4 wrap handle that FishHuntCutWood has on his MS361.

And on the Dawgs... I like the DUAL larger dogs also, and I think they help keep long bars of the ground when you set the saw down. They also help a newbie like myself keep the saw square to the log, or tree when felling.

Peace

Rydaddy said:
I tried to go to Madsen's website (I have it bookmarked) and it isn't working. I want to order the 3/4 wrap handle that FishHuntCutWood has on his MS361.

And on the Dawgs... I like the DUAL larger dogs also, and I think they help keep long bars of the ground when you set the saw down. They also help a newbie like myself keep the saw square to the log, or tree when felling.

Peace
Stihl sells a set for your 361 no need for big dogs around here.

Rydaddy said:

Peace

Dan Whalen - who ran the web-site and processed its orders has moved on. So the site is down. I was there at the store a few weeks ago with Dean (WHS). If I would have had a million buck it would have been gone quick.
So anyone with IT skills and loves chainsaws and its equipment would have a heck of a job.
Tree Sling'r.

Latest posts

Back